Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Aren't the blood clots like an astronomically low number anyways?

Yeah, it was something like six incidents out of a million, and they were all patients with other conditions that can commonly lead to blood clots. The CDC made the right call out of an abundance of caution, but the common person isn't smart or educated enough to know the difference between "abundance of caution" and "realistic risk."
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Bone, there should be a vaccine approved for kids that age by October, late September, anyway. The original variants of COVID didn’t seem to hit kids much, but the newer ones are working their way down to the younger crowd.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:Bone, there should be a vaccine approved for kids that age by October, late September, anyway. The original variants of COVID didn’t seem to hit kids much, but the newer ones are working their way down to the younger crowd.

The new strains are definitely concerning, but the beautiful thing about mRNA vaccines is that it shouldn't take long for boosters to be developed to cover those variants.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
marurun wrote:Bone, there should be a vaccine approved for kids that age by October, late September, anyway. The original variants of COVID didn’t seem to hit kids much, but the newer ones are working their way down to the younger crowd.

The new strains are definitely concerning, but the beautiful thing about mRNA vaccines is that it shouldn't take long for boosters to be developed to cover those variants.

The MRNA vaccines are already pretty effective against even the latest strains, fortunately.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am always for options but I think there is about 5 different types of vaccines but no real mention why would you choose one over the other. All doctors seem to agree they are all fine except the Chinese one who seems to have a weaker resistance against COVID, those who took it have the option to increases resistance with a dosage of Pfizer. Personally I would choose Pfizer since it seems the most reputable name, why would I choose Sputnik or Astrazeneca?

The head scratcher is they say mRNA vaccine types were not permitted ever before, now they are the most effective, whats going on here?!
marurun

Post by marurun »

MRNA is new technology. Moderna had released one MRNA vaccine previously and it was basically a proof of concept in practical form. Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna both went the MRNA path because they had the tech and skills to do so and it seemed to promise the fastest path to a functional vaccine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Didn't post at the time bc it felt dramatic. Had it couple months back. Molecular saliva test hit... then brain swab popped as well.

Light flu, lots of sweating, & terrible throat. Actually doc sent me to hospital bc of how bad the throat was. Ripple effect was dehydration. Hospital doc said the worst throat he had seen the entire Pandemic :lol: Lucky me. Sickness lasted 10 days or so. Throat then took 2 weeks to heal fully. Actually reminded me of a, prolonged bad case of strep throat... that antibiotics couldn't fix.

Was it rough, sure. I've had full-blown pneumonia 3 times in my life though. My lungs have visible scaring in x-rays. Yet still respitory system was strong with this one.

Both my grandparents & sister came out of it as well (unrelated to my case). We all live in different cities.

Have lots of opinions but will keep it light here...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

RCBH928 wrote:The head scratcher is they say mRNA vaccine types were not permitted ever before, now they are the most effective, whats going on here?!

To add to marunun's answer, mRNA is not a new technology though its use in vaccines is relatively new. Much work has been done on creating mRNA cancer treatments so the tech has existed for decades and its potential for use as a viral/bacterial vaccine was well understood but not put into practice at a large scale until now.

There are several advantages to mRNA vaccines which will probably make them the dominant form of vaccines in the near future.

1. Unlike traditional vaccines that use a weakened or dead virus, there is no risk of actually contracting the infection from the vaccine itself. For example, oral polio vaccines used in parts of the world (not the US), have about a 1 in a million chance to give you polio and cause paralysis.
2. mRNA vaccines have a much faster turnaround time. They do not take anywhere near as much time to develop. Unfortunately, this adds to the public perception that they were rushed for COVID-19. While it is fair to say that development was expedited through funding due to the severity of the pandemic, the only thing that was "rushed" (at least in the US) was FDA approval through their pre-established emergency use protocols. Those protocols exist for reasons such as a pandemic.
3. mRNA vaccines have the potential to prevent multiple diseases through a single vaccine. I know Moderna is working on a combo flu/COVID-19 booster.

And if that isn't enough to convince you:
You get a free HBOMax subscription with your government issued microchip

Seriously though, you can get a lot more facts about mRNA vaccines here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html
marurun

Post by marurun »

I’m def getting worried about that new Delta variant. More chance of breakthru infections and breakthru deaths, even with Moderna and Pfizer. AstraZeneca is proving less effective, with the MRNA vaccines looking like the gold standard. Delta is 4x more transmissible than the original COVID strain and has higher rates of hospitalization. It has the potential to right fuck up unvaccinated pockets who aren’t taking strict exposure precautions. Yuck.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Yea I'm worried about it too. The faster the third world gets vaccinated the smaller chance if having variants.

Apparently the Cuban vaccine is good against the Brazilian variant but dunno about Delta.