Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:Cuba actually has quite a strong history in medicine. As long as a vaccine is properly tested and vetted I don’t care where it came from. China’s vaccine has had questionable vetting and Russia has had production quality issues, but then, there’s a US lab that was tapped to produce vaccines that’s also been shut down for months for quality and production issues. Trust or don’t trust science based on the science itself, not your own political or cultural biases, please.

10/10 post here.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

It's just a shame because apparently medical supplies are part of the embargo for Cuba, and they are running of syringes and can't import any, so their vaccine rollout is turning to shit.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PretentiousHipster wrote:It's just a shame because apparently medical supplies are part of the embargo for Cuba, and they are running of syringes and can't import any, so their vaccine rollout is turning to shit.

What? American foreign policy is putting innocent lives at risk over a 70 year old political feud? Well I never!

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:Cuba actually has quite a strong history in medicine. As long as a vaccine is properly tested and vetted I don’t care where it came from. China’s vaccine has had questionable vetting and Russia has had production quality issues, but then, there’s a US lab that was tapped to produce vaccines that’s also been shut down for months for quality and production issues. Trust or don’t trust science based on the science itself, not your own political or cultural biases, please.

understandable, nothing is 100% guaranteed but one has to make a decision by trying to come closer to the the better choice somehow. I can not research each produced item by humanity on its own to make a decision about to use it or not.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:

understandable, nothing is 100% guaranteed but one has to make a decision by trying to come closer to the the better choice somehow. I can not research each produced item by humanity on its own to make a decision about to use it or not.

One way to help is by finding good science reporting sites and sources. That way you don't have to read every individual study. You let subject experts do that for you. A good, reliable science or medicine site should be able to present the facts on the different vaccines without wandering into politics. Science reporting is how I know the Sinovax vaccine out of China is not as effective as the leading vaccines. It's also how I know there have been issues with quality control in manufacturing for the Russian vaccine, because Brazil, for one, has complained that the vaccine shipped to them did not appear to be the same thing that was tested in research trials. The other thing is that most nations certify different vaccines, so if you trust the evaluation process your government requires for emergency approval of vaccines that's all that should matter.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:if you trust the evaluation process your government requires for emergency approval of vaccines that's all that should matter.

And the process in the United States, Canada, and Western Europe is rigorous and responsive to changes in the data set, so there's no legitimate cause to doubt any vaccines approved by those countries.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

My province is not reopening fully until we have 80% with one dose and 75% with both doses. The latter is certainly feasible, but we have been stuck at 78% for one dose for weeks now. I don't believe the other things people are saying ie Russia is doing it, or the programs are racist for non-English speakers, since we do have immigration services helping them get the shot. I just feel like they're trying to find an excuse so they won't have to believe that most of the 22% of people are anti-vaxxers.

I'm just wondering what Doug Ford will do now. Will he step his foot down, and say "You want us to get rid of masks and reopen everything? Get that number to 80%" or just give in. I have a feeling it's gonna be the latter unfortunately.

I do feel like we are too hopeful now too. We are getting like 1-2 cases a day in my city, but people seem to forget that we had a similar lull, with I think even less cases, at the same time last year. When the weather starts getting colder people are gonna go indoors and the 4th wave will happen again. The anti-vaxxers will use the 4th wave to justify their views too. "Even with a vaccine we have a 4th wave so getting it is pointless"
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

In the US, it's unlikely that any state will get to 80% any time soon. It's unfortunate imo, but there's not much that can done about it. It's past time to ship our vaccines to other countries, for our sake as much as theirs.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

On that diet comparison, I personally kicked drinking diet cokes or using artificial sweeteners. The reasons you stated as a large piece, another because your pancreas highly likely treats it very similar to real sugars (triggering fat stores among other endocrinological implications) . I'm 100% water, black coffee, unsweetened tea 8). That said, we still don't fully understand the impacts of artificial sweeteners and Tab soda came out in the 60s... 50 years ago.

The mRNA vaccine caution is more complicated than uneducated or alternative motives camps only. I am fortunate to have science degrees (plural) that also included 40+ hours of public health curriculum. One of the more fascinating courses I took (~13 years ago) was race, health, & ethnicity. It really dove into the complex sociology side of public health due to surroundings mixed with genetic factors. In summary, public health is complex. It's also often segmented off from traditional medicine unfortunately. Those sides operate in silos fairly often.

This can be hypothetical. No need to answer as it's not aimed at any one, more me thinking out loud... what's the flu shot record look like for everyone on both sides of the subject for the past 5 years? Think I'm 3 of 5. Sure some folks (not here on RB, just in general) coming in hot on COVID vaccine are lower. Same herd immunity discussion applies there.

I think I'm fairly good at realizing as passionate as I am about anything (could be queso at my favorite TexMex :lol:), there's someone equally as passionate on the opposite side of the spectrum (about their spaghetti perhaps :D).

Now back to my video game threads...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ack

Post by Ack »

Answering anyway, I'm 5 of 5 on flu shots for the last five years.