Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by marurun Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 pm

A surgical mask is not perfect or guaranteed protection, but it can reduce exposure by about 50%. A surgical mask thus isn’t supposed to allow a “return to normal” so much as a measure of protection for when you have to go out. If you’re not vaccinated or otherwise at increased risk you should still be avoiding going out when you don’t need to, and when you do have to go out you wear a mask and avoid close quarters indoors. Basically, wearing a mask is not an excuse to ignore COVID or engage in otherwise risky behavior.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... xperts-say
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 pm

marurun wrote:A surgical mask is not perfect or guaranteed protection, but it can reduce exposure by about 50%. A surgical mask thus isn’t supposed to allow a “return to normal” so much as a measure of protection for when you have to go out. If you’re not vaccinated or otherwise at increased risk you should still be avoiding going out when you don’t need to, and when you do have to go out you wear a mask and avoid close quarters indoors. Basically, wearing a mask is not an excuse to ignore COVID or engage in otherwise risky behavior.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... xperts-say

It's like a helmet. You still don't want to crash your motorcycle at 70 mph even if you're wearing a helmet, but you sure as hell don't want to be without a helmet.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:49 pm

Now you can go around without a mask if you’re vaccinated.

I still wear one for a couple or reasons: there’s a 6% chance that I can still get sick from it (100% chance it won’t be severe at least — also I have pets and I don’t want them to get it though I may be running off of outdated information), out of respect I don’t want to spread it to this one person in the office who can’t get vaccinated due to being allergic to the vaccine (she’s a nice lady and is super kind to me), and most importantly, I spent 30 god damn dollars on a single stylish mask. I’m using the shit out of that thing till the seams start disintegrating.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Gucci wrote:Now you can go around without a mask if you’re vaccinated.

I still wear one for a couple or reasons: there’s a 6% chance that I can still get sick from it (100% chance it won’t be severe at least — also I have pets and I don’t want them to get it though I may be running off of outdated information), out of respect I don’t want to spread it to this one person in the office who can’t get vaccinated due to being allergic to the vaccine (she’s a nice lady and is super kind to me), and most importantly, I spent 30 god damn dollars on a single stylish mask. I’m using the shit out of that thing till the seams start disintegrating.

I'm wearing a mask because I don't want to catch a cold. It's so freaking simple, people.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:02 pm

I mean yeah…

Me too :oops:
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:53 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:The only reason people are skeptical about mRNA vaccines is that they don't understand what it is (which is totally understandable given how new the technology's use in vaccination is). And idiot fundamentalists screaming that it changes your DNA and will make you not human and therefore unable to go to Heaven when you die. But if you're the type of person who believes that, then let's be honest, humanity would be better off if you got COVID and succumbed.

My argument is that if the WHO says it, your gov. says it, your doctor says it, universities around the world are saying it.... who am I to argue? Its not like we understand whats DNA or mRNA. When I am sick I go to a doctor he cuts me open and performs full surgery on me, most people do not second question that.

A lot of people are doing lasik eye surgery where they shoot laser into your eye, this sounds a lot more dangerous to me!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It’s in the U.S. and is currently accounting for approximately 20% of new infections in the U.S. Unsurprisingly, those infections are among people who have not yet received a vaccine, which based on the data available so far, is very effective at preventing illness and transmission of the virus.

The virus will go away if more people get vaccinated, and I’d hoped more people in the U.S. would be vaccinated by now. But, here we are!

One anti-vaccine guy argued, if the vaccine protects you why are you worried that I don't get it?
That was a good argument, I took the vaccine and accepted the consequences. His choice will not affect me.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:05 pm

It does, though. For the virus to go away and stop mutating in unpredictable and, potentially, dangerous ways, we need lots of people to be vaccinated. I would like to get to a point where we don’t really worry about COVID-19 the way we don’t really worry about polio or small pox. To get there, though, more people need to get the vaccine, which, I’ll reiterate, makes you stronger, faster, smarter, and better-looking.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:08 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It does, though. For the virus to go away and stop mutating in unpredictable and, potentially, dangerous ways, we need lots of people to be vaccinated. I would like to get to a point where we don’t really worry about COVID-19 the way we don’t really worry about polio or small pox. To get there, though, more people need to get the vaccine, which, I’ll reiterate, makes you stronger, faster, smarter, and better-looking.

+1

This is why I believe the poorer countries have to be vaccinated ASAP. I also think that it should be dependent on the areas. I know, this is way too idealistic and will never happen, but an example is that the Cuban vaccine is especially effective against the Brazilian variant, so Brazil using that would be incredibly effective.

Best case scenario the countries would build on each other's vaccines to stop future variants in case they come.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:15 pm

Also don't forget that the anti-vaxxer movement spawned a wave of measles in some areas with tons of kids, so it shows the importance of herd immunity.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever