Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by RCBH928 »

Do you have to pay for the shots? My gov. gives them for free and you can get an appointment like in a week . You can also choose the vaccination type you want.

What bothers me about Corona virus is that it seems to be another flu that you have to take a yearly shot of. I am not up for that. Looks like its not going away. There is already the seasonal flu shot, so now its 2 shots.

I am tired of wearing masks, its mandatory here.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Left the main forum I go on because of some of their views on covid (anti-vax, anti-lockdown people for "freedom"). I am literally done with these people. Covid tends to break people from stuff like isolation, etc. For me, it's those people that are breaking me.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I respect people choices not to take the vaccine...I wasn't going to take it. But... I don't respect them for spreading lies and rumors about the vaccine and then cause civil disobedience and going around mask less close to vaccinated people who choose a scientific solution to the covid19.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Can we try to stay on how it is affecting our daily lives? As much as I may agree with many of you on the issues. I don’t want this veering too far into just general statements re: social politics. There’s danger there, however factual or well-intentioned we may be.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nexus-X
8-bit

Post by Nexus-X »

Life has changed quite a bit in some ways, and in others it’s frustratingly the same.

I am now the sole income in the family, have been almost since the pandemic started. My partner was furloughed, it drug on forever while the company took that sweet government money, and then they cut everyone loose. I had been working from home for years and my company took care of me. So it’s been mostly business as usual for me while everyone else in the household tries to find their place, mostly afraid to take certain jobs in fear that they’ll bring home covid and get everyone sick. I’ve gone from having quite a bit of quiet time to myself to only having brief moments to get lost in my thoughts on errand walks and such.

We took advantage of pandemic rates in a new city and moved halfway across the country. We went from a very suburban life to being in the middle of a larger city. I used to drive several miles for leisure and essentials, now I walk everywhere. I love this and I don’t think I could ever go back to suburban life, pandemic or not.

Our biggest challenges moving forward are staying well and preparing for the inevitable rent increase from the nation’s forced return to normalcy and landlord’s eagerness to make up for lost inflation by two-fold.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I got boosted a couple weeks ago, perfect timing since the number of cases seem to be exploding again.

The public library I work at has been requiring masks for a few months now, so we've been ahead of the curve. The governor of New York is now requiring all businesses to require masks, although my county's executive is publicly saying he won't enforce it due to his own staffing shortage (but at least he isn't hardline opposed to masks?).
I still have a few unvaccinated coworkers, one of whom is currently out because her kids have been exposed to someone who tested positive, which is all worrying. But I personally am double-masking, limiting how much I go out and about, and kind of just hoping for the best.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

In NYC, we are mandated to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. And all private sector employers now require full vaccine status: either two doses or one from J&J. Boosters not required, yet.

I got boosted the other day myself. Sore arm. Better outcome compared to the second dose of Pfizer.

Edit: either I forgot (sorry :lol: ) or I just noticed that you’re a fellow New Yorker. Hi fellow NYer!
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

At the post office, there's a flyer for COVID-19 shots for kids and someone wrote in Sharpie that if you love your kids you won't get them the shot. I mean, don't folks realize that getting vaccinated will help us WIN the war on COVID?

No wonder I keep hearing how COVID is worse in more conservative areas. I know I shouldn't go political but sadly it's the truth. Folks still blathering about how the vaccine is somehow tied to end times prophecies or something, many of them the same people who equated mask mandates to sharia law. And yet it always seems like these people usually catch COVID and die.

I'm still freaked out about what happened back towards the tail end of the season, when one of the J1 students caught COVID and had to self-isolate and their roommates literally couldn't come to work and missed their last days before leaving.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

It’s OK, REPO. There’s nothing “political” about vaccines. People should get them regardless of their politics.

My daughter was scheduled to go to a Christmas party with a three other girls yesterday, but on Thursday, the hostess’ daughter felt like she had a cold. She did the responsible thing, pulling her out of school, cancelling the party, and getting her daughter a rapid test. Sure enough, and despite the girl being fully vaccinated, it’s covid.

Thankfully, the girl is feeling much better, and her symptoms were identical to a mild headcold. Still, she and her family will be isolating for ten days (i.e., through Christmas), which stinks.

Stay safe everyone. Be cautious and think of others even if it disrupts your plans. I don’t have any sympathy left for the willingly unvaccinated, but there are still vulnerable people out there who’ve done everything they can to protect themselves. We need to work together to protect them.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

2 days ago Ontario had 1800 cases in a day. The next day, it was 3100. Now it's 3300. Our record was 4800.

This is why we need to get rid of intellectual properties, and vaccinated the more impoverished countries ASAP, so the variants will stop. I would go further for it with politics (looking past the geopolitical "opponents" and working for them with these issues), but that's not for this forum.