Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by marurun Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:31 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Knives Out is a lot of fun. Daniel Craig’s absolutely ridiculous accent really kicks it up, and I hope you enjoy it RCBH.

Curious about the mystery recommendations too. My daughter is really into murder mysteries, and is like to screen one for our next family movie night. The best are usually a hard R, though, and I’d like something more appropriate for a 12-13 year old. Other than Clue, what else is out there?

Most murder mysteries in the theater transformed into thrillers or action romps. James Bond and spy films are sort of mystery-esque. But TV shows are probably your best bet these days, particularly BBC or PBS stuff.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

by Ack Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Oh yeah, if you can get a hold of the versions of Hercule Poirot stories starring David Suchet, I bet she'll enjoy them. They're fantastic!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie%27s_Poirot

Check them out, they're wonderful.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:12 pm

Ack wrote:Oh yeah, if you can get a hold of the versions of Hercule Poirot stories starring David Suchet, I bet she'll enjoy them. They're fantastic!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie%27s_Poirot

Check them out, they're wonderful.

I know! I’ve seen every single one, and I loved them. Sadly, however, I think they’re only available through Acorn and Britbox nowadays.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:39 am

stumbled upon a parody movie trailer titled Our Robocop Remake , not going to watch it but reminded me of the movie "Be Kind, Rewind" :lol: :lol: :lol:
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:05 am

Will I regret it if I decided to see The Happening?
I hate Shyamalan's twists (I remember The Village-I feel better about it now as an older person) but I forgave him after I knew he was behind Sixth Sense, Ubreakable, Signs, and Split.

I really liked SAW but are any of the sequels worth watching or just mindless money grabs? never watched any

In other news I didn't know there was a new Matrix movie, one of my all time favorites. Watched it to death back then.
but to my surprise the official trailer has a mere 35K views, thats scary low. Something must be wrong?

UPDATE: Double checked looks like the YouTube counter broke, views are 36 Million.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Any one watched the two Murder on the Orient Express? Which one is better?
I think I would like to see another Whodunit but I really despise slow paced movies and noir style like Chinatown. Please give me a warning if it is so...
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:31 pm

RCBH928 wrote:I really despise slow paced movies and noir style

Beat it toots. Noirs ain't what they used to be...
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:32 am

I'm on an Asian movie kick this month. I'm going to be watching:

Armour of God
Fighting Madam 1 & 2
My Lucky Stars
Magnificent Warriors
The Seventh Curse
Hard Boiled
We're Going to Eat You
Angel Terminator 1 & 2
Pedicab Driver
Some Stephen Chow movies like God of Cookery and Shaolin Soccer
Out of the Dark
Police Story
Project A
The Pom Pom movies
The Heart of the Dragon
The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Meals on Wheels
Drunk Master 1 & 2
The Killer
Above the Law
Peking Opera Blues
Yes Madam

If you guys are interested in restoration projects, given how butchered many Asian movies are when released on disc or video, check out a site called Hong Kong Rescue. These are bootleg/fan restorations, but they are probably better than any "official" release you'll find for the movies on there. I discovered this site recently, some classic movies on there with improved visuals, re-translated subtitles, improved audio, rare cuts or alternate versions, and other features. It's basically like having definitive versions of these movies
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:57 pm

I think Out of the Dark is the only one on that list that I've seen, but I loved it. Saw it around Halloween two or three years ago without any idea of what it was. I think I was the only one in the screening that really liked it though.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:12 pm

I really can't get into Hong Kong films for some reason. I think it's because they are too theatrical and formal in their own way. I did end up growing into liking some Bollywood so maybe I'll give it another chance. I will say though that most of the best documentaries come from mainland China.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever