Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by RCBH928 Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:07 am

Parasite won the Oscar for Best Picture, I thought only US films are to compete for that title, don't they usually give an Oscar to the best foreign film?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by isiolia Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 am

RCBH928 wrote:Parasite won the Oscar for Best Picture, I thought only US films are to compete for that title, don't they usually give an Oscar to the best foreign film?

They can be up for Best Picture, it's just rare, and none have ever actually won it before. Most US awards, including the Oscars, do have a best Foreign Language Film award as well (it'll be best International Feature Film starting this year), and Parasite also won that. It's a little different in who it credits for the movie (country vs production company) but they do have it - probably in good part due to just how unlikely it is for recognition in other categories. Kinda like they eventually made a Best Animated Film award - there have only been three nominated for Best Picture, and none have ever won it.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am

The Artist was technically foreign but who cares or even remembers that film.

I do think that foreign films should have an even playing field. Sad that it took almost a century for that kind of film to win

It has an interesting theme in classism but I didn't like the last 10 minutes.

I stopped caring about the Oscars though. My taste is way too artsy fartsy for that. In terms of awards I follow the Locarno film festival.
Ack

by Ack Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:43 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:The Artist was technically foreign but who cares or even remembers that film.

Yeah, but Hollywood also loves rewarding movies about Hollywood, be it The Artist, Argo, L.A. Confidential, so on and so forth. I'm surprised Hail, Caesar! didn't get Best Picture.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:07 pm

There's only like 5 best picture winners that I've seen so far that I would call awesome (Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, Rebecca, The Godfather, No Country for Old Men, and Parasite), and I hated 25 of them (seen 75 total). Cimarron is probably the worst best picture winner I've seen. Kind of tempted to see Cavalcade because I heard that one is even worse.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:There's only like 5 best picture winners that I've seen so far that I would call awesome (Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, Rebecca, The Godfather, No Country for Old Men, and Parasite), and I hated 25 of them (seen 75 total). Cimarron is probably the worst best picture winner I've seen. Kind of tempted to see Cavalcade because I heard that one is even worse.

My numbers a little higher. I think all of the following are pretty great:

All Quiet on the Western Front
It Happened One Night
Casablanca
Rebecca
All About Eve
An American in Paris
Marty
Bridge on the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia
The Sound of Music
The French Connection
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Amadeus
The Last Emperor
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler’s List
LOTR
No Country for Old Men
Moonlight

I actually haven’t seen many of the recent nominees or winners; so, I can’t comment on those. I generally agree, however, that the “best picture” award typically goes to the second through fourth best movie released that year and that, frequently, the very best films aren’t nominated for that award at all. (Sometimes, the award also goes to films that are complete garbage, like Forrest Gump.)
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Oh I am with you on All Quiet on the Western Front, Marty, LOTR, and Moonlight as well. Just not "awesome" territory for me.

The fact that Robert Pattinson nor Willem Dafoe got a best actor nominee says enough of how ridiculous the Oscars can be. It was like a vulgar Bergman film, and it was exciting to watch two completely different acting styles pitted against each other. Pattinson going for the more primal type of performance while Dafoe was formal.
Ack

by Ack Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Dafoe should have gotten something just for that amazing furious monologue he gives. It was so appallingly beautiful to watch.

Also, did you guys not enjoy The Best Years of Our Lives?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:23 am

Ack wrote:Dafoe should have gotten something just for that amazing furious monologue he gives. It was so appallingly beautiful to watch.

Also, did you guys not enjoy The Best Years of Our Lives?

Nope. I legit hated that movie. :lol:
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:03 am

isiolia wrote:They can be up for Best Picture, it's just rare, and none have ever actually won it before. Most US awards, including the Oscars, do have a best Foreign Language Film award as well (it'll be best International Feature Film starting this year), and Parasite also won that. It's a little different in who it credits for the movie (country vs production company) but they do have it - probably in good part due to just how unlikely it is for recognition in other categories. Kinda like they eventually made a Best Animated Film award - there have only been three nominated for Best Picture, and none have ever won it.

You know I just remembered they gave Slum Dog Millionaire best picture. I sometimes think the Oscars try to make a controversial choices for free publicity and keep interest. They also try to push "minorities" to give a more sense of "diversity" and "equality" but in the process they made those who were more deserving lose the recognition.

PretentiousHipster wrote:The Artist was technically foreign but who cares or even remembers that film.

I didn't see it, was it a silent movie?

PretentiousHipster wrote:There's only like 5 best picture winners that I've seen so far that I would call awesome (Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, Rebecca, The Godfather, No Country for Old Men, and Parasite), and I hated 25 of them (seen 75 total). Cimarron is probably the worst best picture winner I've seen. Kind of tempted to see Cavalcade because I heard that one is even worse.

I really didnt like No Country for Old Men or HurtLocker, I found them closer to boring. I think I probably didn't get the message of the movie, I hardly remember them to discuss them but
One was about a psychopath and another about a soldier in the army, there are many movies that has the same setting, so I don't get what made these two special
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever