Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by stickem »

^man that Spartacus series was so good the first couple seasons. I hate to blame the new guy that took over the roll but it went downhill for me were I just gave up on the series.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

stickem wrote:^man that Spartacus series was so good the first couple seasons. I hate to blame the new guy that took over the roll but it went downhill for me were I just gave up on the series.

I actually can't remember if I liked the prequel or not (haven't seen any of it in 10+ years), but I do remember not wanting to watch the rest of the series after Whitfield died. Not sure if I'd blame the new guy per se, though, as it felt like the show itself had lost track of what made it so good at first.

I remember really, really hating the figure of Caesar. His appearance might have actually been the last straw for me.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

i was not a fan of dead ringers
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Funny, I rewatched Dead Ringers recently and found it an incredibly engaging psychosexual drama. But I love psychological stuff.

There is a new trailer for Crimes of the Future and goddamn he really ramped the body horror aspect up to 11.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So the gothic style of Batman was never part of the comics and was added by Tim Burton? Batman is my favorite super hero(movies) and part of that is the world of Gotham city and the mysterious Batman. I only saw snippets of the 60's tv show and was surprised by how light of a show it was, felt more like Superman's world and closer to a sitcom. Even Batman's attire felt more of a "Batman" than the one from the series which looked totally silly even for the 60s, but surprised it was more true to the comics.

Burton's world marriage with the Batman universe was the perfect mix imo. He created the perfected Batman. Thats why I am not much of a fan of the newer movies although the newer Joker still retains the dark and mysterious world of Gotham city.

I am sure Burton got inspired from somewhere else, I just do not know where I doubt he created this gothic style.

@PretentiousHipster

It was very slow and mundane to watch for me. It wasn't really horrific in my opinion. My only guess is the director was aiming for a a real life situation, as in "What if this could really happen in the real world how would it be?" , but real life is boring thats why nobody watches anyone's real life for entertainment.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Being realistic (except for one scene of course) was what made it scary for me. I love realistic stuff like that especially when it deals with psychology. I feel like I learn a lot about people from that, and makes it more fun to analyze. Cronenberg is one of the better ones for that.

Anyways, made a cinephile meme

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Having spent a good thirty minutes last night cackling at trailers for Christmas rom-cons, I like this post. Trash cinema is peak cinema, and I think the very apex of the cinematic art form would be a film in which…a just-OK-looking, unlucky-in-love professional woman from the big city returns to her hometown, a small Christmas-themed hamlet in Mississippi, where she meets and enters into a chaste relationship with a just-OK-looking, country-music-singing prince. The prince is also a widower with a precocious daughter, and during his random visit to America, he and his daughter stay in conspicuously three-star accommodations. Also, there’s a cooking competition of some sort.

Tonight, we watched Top Gun, and my daughter cried at the scene where Goose died. :lol:
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

A psychological explanation must be provided for why people enjoy trash cinema or B-films. This trend is even moving to games. Not sure if it works for music. Even I who have short attention span and can't handle non-sense occasionally enjoy a bad made film. I treat more like a satire. The ones I can't handle are the "yet another movie" with a canned-food plot film that takes itself seriously(a lot on Netflix especially the series).

One film i knew was bad but couldn't care to complete was Battleship. Just horribly boring.

@PretentiousHipster

I see where you are coming from and I kind of agree. This is my own personal definition of "surreal" films where everything is normal except one thing that is off from real life which gives it the creepy feeling. But it does not need to be horror, can be comedy like Being John Malkovich.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think I asked this before, I will ask again, any one know of a good way to catch on good films I missed in the recent past(10 years)? Yesterday I looked up Hotel Artemis and got suggestion for Bad Time at El Royale and Upgrade and I never even heard of those.
Ack

Post by Ack »

When we say trash cinema, we talking Microwave Massacre?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Any one notice the disappearance of teenagers chick flicks? Or was that just a late 90s trend? Or am I living under a rock?