Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

Post by REPO Man »

Recently read Bury Me Deep by Christopher Pike.

In this YA horror story, a young woman, Jean, on a trip to Hawaii watches a young man die on the plane. After landing she meets up with two friends who have met a pair of guys at their hotel. But soon Jean's having strange dreams that lead her to a cave... where someone, or something, is waiting for her.

I enjoyed it.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Been trying to get through PIHKAL by Alexander Shulgin for a long ass time but still haven't. It's fantastic, but I always forget to read it. Also going to reread "My Undercover Years in the Klu Klux Klan" soon, read it in high school and it was fantastic. Curious if I still think that.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Superman Smashes the Klan, where in 1940s Metropolis Superman clashes with hooded bigots who've targeted a Chinese-American family. Definitely timely, yet also timeless.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Finished Gotham High, a reimagining of the Batman mythos. In it, a Chinese-American Bruce Wayne goes back to Gotham City after getting kicked out of prep school. In the titular Gotham High he's reunited with childhood friend Selina Kyle, who runs the school alongside class clown, Jack Napier. But when a student gets kidnapped, Bruce Wayne gets roped in.

I totally recommend this great graphic novel.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies wrote:My next book will be Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Good Luck to me on that one.... :?

I finished reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy this afternoon. Took me two years to the exact date. Granted, the book is over 800 pages and my largest book ever, but that is an obscene amount of time. I'm so ashamed.

What I think about it? It's......okay.

If you are interested in Russian Politics, Socioeconomic Talk and Religious Views, then the book dives deep into all of those discussions. On the other hand, you learn about Anna and the affair that she has, so the two ends are very unique. You have deep and philosophical talk on one hand and then a love story on the other.

I'm glad I read it as it did help me sleep during that time, but none of it was all too exciting.

And I'm tired of this heavy stuff about absolutely horrible people. I want something lighter and upbeat. Up next, I'll be reading Paradise Lost & Regained by John Milton. :twisted:
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I recently read A Catcher In the Rye. It was fantastic, and I definitely get where Holden gets his views on the world a little better now, even though they clearly aren't right. There was a lot more rape in that book than I expected? Like, five people + casually mention some having been raped at one point. Guess it's meant to show the darkness of the times.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously, by Adam Ellis. Adam Ellis, formerly known for his BuzzFeed work, is one of my favorite comic artists and I just love his work.

He also published a short Junji Ito-inspired comic called Butter Corn Ramen.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Batman Tales: Once Upon a Crime, a Batman style take on a handful of classic fairy tales, including Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland. Definitely a solid read for all ages.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies wrote:And I'm tired of this heavy stuff about absolutely horrible people. I want something lighter and upbeat. Up next, I'll be reading Paradise Lost & Regained by John Milton. :twisted:

I have officially given up on Paradise Lost.

I had no clue what was going on. If it wasn't for the summaries before each chapter, I would have been completely lost. The old style poetry is just impossible to read and I lost interest rather quickly.

Instead, I will now start the original Vampire Book, Bram Stoker's Dracula. This is one I have been looking forward to for a while. I am very curious to see how this one reads.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm amazed you've gone this long without reading it. I read it twice for school. In fact, the only book I read more times for school was Frankenstein.

I enjoy Dracula immensely, though if you're thinking Bela Lugosi, you shouldn't. The most accurate film version of Dracula's appearance is actually Nosferatu, with the sole exception that Dracula has hair.