Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Just finished Max Barry, Syrup (1999): I read Jennifer Government age ago, and so I figured to finally give this one a go. It's quick (very short chapters, but he makes it work), and incredibly fun. Ideaphoric marketer Scat teams up with a business-savvy Coca-Cola exec to come up with amazing ad campaigns and become rich and famous. Lots of little twists and turns, many of which you see coming but still have you cheering when they come. Max Barry was himself in marketing before turning to writing.
benderx
Next-Gen

by benderx Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 pm

Anyone read on a tablet or ipad? Please share what apps do you all to read them pdf, epub, txt?
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:53 pm

I use the Kindle app, and whenever I buy ebooks from a non-Amazon source (Humble Bundle, etc) I send it to my Kindle library via any of these methods.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:00 pm

I read comics via Hoopla and the local library, books via Kindle, and PDFs via a separate app (still up in the air what I like best right now).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:17 pm

I personally use Comixology for comics. I've got Comixology Unlimited, where you can borrow up to 30 titles from a large assortment of titles.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Just finished Max Barry, Syrup (1999): I read Jennifer Government age ago, and so I figured to finally give this one a go. It's quick (very short chapters, but he makes it work), and incredibly fun. Ideaphoric marketer Scat teams up with a business-savvy Coca-Cola exec to come up with amazing ad campaigns and become rich and famous. Lots of little twists and turns, many of which you see coming but still have you cheering when they come. Max Barry was himself in marketing before turning to writing.

Now I want to read Syrup! I've never read a Max Barry book but I remember my friends and I playing a lot of the Jennifer Government spinoff web-game "Nation States" back when I was in college.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:34 am

Nemoide wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Just finished Max Barry, Syrup (1999): I read Jennifer Government age ago, and so I figured to finally give this one a go. It's quick (very short chapters, but he makes it work), and incredibly fun. Ideaphoric marketer Scat teams up with a business-savvy Coca-Cola exec to come up with amazing ad campaigns and become rich and famous. Lots of little twists and turns, many of which you see coming but still have you cheering when they come. Max Barry was himself in marketing before turning to writing.

Now I want to read Syrup! I've never read a Max Barry book but I remember my friends and I playing a lot of the Jennifer Government spinoff web-game "Nation States" back when I was in college.

I did too! That's actually what got me to read Jennifer Government. FWIW, I think the book is better than the game. At least, the game tended to attract a certain type of political persuasion I didn't agree with (but not always, and I have no idea what the community is like today). The book I actually used as a teaching tool in one of my courses. So, while not a classic per se, it's still very enjoyable and even more relevant now than ever (and probably will continue to only be more and more relevant as time marches forward).
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:45 am

I remember trying to read Jennifer Government. At the time it seemed up my alley, but I always seemed to check out more books from the library than I could actually read before they were due back. It doesn't help matters that the library is 17 miles away, so even if I manage to either find someone to drive me OR find the willingness to ride my bike over two hours each way, I'd pretty much have to find enough books (and possibly movies) to last me until they're due back in three weeks.

Plus the library in Hatteras typically doesn't have a whole lot, both in terms of quantity and variety.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:52 am

Just finished Christopher Pike's 1992 novel "Master of Murder", a YA thriller about a high school student named Marvin Summer who is secretly a famous author of a series of teen murder mystery novels who struggles with how to end the series. But his troubles grow when someone sends him weird letters and he ends up coming face to face with a web of mystery straight out of his novels.

I definitely enjoyed it and would love to see an adaptation of it. I could see Sean Giambrone (The Goldbergs) as Marvin.

And with another Christopher Pike novel "The Midnight Club" getting an HBO Max series, along with the novel reading like a framing story for an anthology series, we might see The Midnight Club adaptation serving as an "Are You Afraid of the Dark"-style horror anthology that possibly sees other Pike novels (including "Bury Me Deep") adapted as in-universe stories told by the titular Midnight Club. But that's just speculation on my end.

EDIT: Turns out The Midnight Club is coming to Netflix. I guess I got it mixed up with a supposed Point Horror series coming to HBO Max, based on the YA horror books from the '90s, to which Pike wrote a number of.
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:33 am

currently reading "More than Human" by Theodore Sturgeon, ad have recently picked up a stack of scifi, one of the more interesting of which is "Entangled" by Graham Hancock.Here's a list of some scifi and fantasy releasing this month.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever