Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: noiseredux October horror film spooktacular 2012

by Ack Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:02 am

Well guys, I finished out the month with The Amityville Horror (1979). Unfortunately, I don't think this film holds up very well, especially considering I watched The Changeling earlier this month. While the effects were excellent, the film seems inconsistent in what exactly is going on with the house, its capabilities, and the size of its influence. Characters such as the priests and the police sergeant seem to serve little purpose beyond establishing that the house is bad, which is pretty well established from the beginning. In fact, the sergeant seems to only exist to cast suspicion on the house, while the priests show its power, but still...what was their purpose in the plot? To show that the house was more powerful than their religion? But how did the house affect things in the church or in the car, when its influence seems generally limited to what happens immediately around the house? The result is that I have no idea exactly what the house is doing, which I guess unsettles me but not in the way a good horror film should so much as in the way bad writing does. I'm not even sure why the house is evil. A witch built it on an Indian burial ground, I think, but I'm not really sure, as all I've got is a hippie lady with a stolen library book and a claim she's good at sensing things to inform me of this.

I want to praise the effects, even if they do leave me with questions. The bleeding walls, for instance: not sure of the significance, and it did not impress me in the way that the burning banister of The Changeling did, but still, it was a very interesting visual that has become a horror trope of haunted house films. The flies, the cat, the thing beyond the window, the blue...thing that James Brolin's character sees at the end of the film, all of these make for some arresting moments that work for both quick scares as well as to unnerve the audience. And the puking holy people, I actually found that funny.

I did enjoy the soundtrack, even if at times I could hear shades of other films, such as the shrieking violins reminiscent of Psycho as Brolin swings his ax at a door, in another moment that felt like it was pulled from The Shining.

Look, I'll give the film credit for winning an award for its soundtrack and for doing incredibly well for an independent film. But I feel there are better haunted house movies out there, and unfortunately I recently watched one.

Anyway, my films that I watched entirely this month:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Bad Taste
The Last Man on Earth
Phenomena
Dementia 13
The Changeling
Critters
Re-Animator
Attack of the Giant Leeches
The Amityville Horror

Not as many as I would have liked, but Netflix dragged a bit. I'll probably be watching horror films well into November. And on Facebook I spent a lot of time writing about horror films of different stripes, so I found a great deal more that I want to track down. Anyone know if Frontier(s) is really as good as it sounds?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:50 am

Final Tally:

Watched:
Maniac (1934)
Maniac (1981)
Sisters
Vampyr
Roesmary's Baby
Curse of the Demon

Dagon
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Omen (2006)
Cabin in the Woods
Silent Hill
Silent Hill Revelations 3D
Obama's America 2016
Dementia 13
Dawn of the Dead
Ernest Scared Stupid

Didn't watch but had planned to:
Videodrome
Hasu
Cronos
Corridors of Blood
Posession

Like some others have said, I'll probably keep watching horror films through the rest of the year off and on - but probably not in such a concentrated fashion! I'll put up proper reviews of these in the ongoing movie thread sometime in the next few days...
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 am

My cup runneth over.

FRIDAY THE 13TH VII : A NEW BLOOD

Think I've already said enough on how much I enjoy this movie.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever