http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LFW104

It's the 1800
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Croooow!
128-bit

Re: Home Gym Advice

Post by Croooow! »

I kind of go for the unconventional fitness equipment and really like it. If you can find one or no how to build one, get a plyometric box. Great for cardio and building explosive strength. Also try to find a pullup bar of some kind even if it's a nearby tree branch. I've also found that old tires work well as simple weights and also sleds.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Luke wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:Do pushups, pullups, and situps.

This, and jogging. Stretch, warm up, work out, then cool down. Weights aren't really even necessary.

Exactly. I'm in great shape, and haven't spent a dime on any weights (although I did get a treadmill for the winter months)

This...

I did hear kettlebells are really interesting too though. Anyone have any experience with these?...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
The Last Horseman
128-bit

Post by The Last Horseman »

I've always been a fan of getting a good lat bar that you can put plates on, the kind that you can use for upper boddy and swap wires for lower body. I dislike free weights because of accidents I've had in my lifting time when doing it alone, so I've gotten to prefer machines. I know a lat bar is something I can do while watching TV, unlike sit ups or others that cause my view to constantly change.

Hope I helped.
Systems: Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, N64, Gamecube, Xbox 360

WTB: Boxes for a silver Gamecube System(and a hyperport cover), and a box for an Ice Blue N64 console. Will pay 7.50 for each and shipping.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hobie-wan wrote:See if you can score some free weights off craigslist or a garage sale. There are always people who buy them and then stop using them after a few weeks.

:lol: How about all the over priced coat racks. :D

To me a workout is that, a dreaded workout that is not enjoyed. I prefer activities such as swimming, biking and hiking. Swimming is a great cardio without the sweat.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Went over to Target to look for weights, and damn all they had were a few dumbells and a wall of shakeweights.

Going to keep checking craiglist and head over to academy sports this weekend.

Got to work out at the gym today and it is nice when you get to use it.
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

OK, how serious are you? If you're looking to casually lose weight, forget it. Disregard the prior "forget weights" posts and start kicking some tail with combined regiment of cardio and some free weights. If you can swallow the up front costs of grabbing a set of dumbells, a pullup bar, and a set of pushup handles go for it.

In no particular order...

1. Write down your goals. If you can't commit to your goals you'll find excuses to cheat. STAY ACCOUNTABLE!

2. (Optional) Get a workout partner. Not necessary but helpful for a spotter. It's also great for someone to push you. Start telling friends and family you're working out...again accountability.

3. A diet of lean low-fat meats. Chicken breasts, turkey breasts, fish, etc. One of my favorite quick meals is Tilapia with a little cinnamon, curry, and thyme - delicious, cheap, filling! Brown rice, and whole wheat pastas for complex carbs. Slow digesting carbs like sweet potatoes are great after 5:00 P.M. Don't skimp on veggies!

4. Supplementation! Invest in a good multivitamin. Make sure you're getting in some good pharmaceutical grade fish oil too. For sake of cost I'll just stop there.

5. Take some pictures of yourself to chart your progress.

6. Train like a beast! Push yourself to failure EVERY TIME! You can google the pros and cons of high reps, or lifting heavy with low reps.

this space reserved for more editing...
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

s1mplehumar wrote:OK, how serious are you? If you're looking to casually lose weight, forget it. Disregard the prior "forget weights" posts and start kicking some tail with combined regiment of cardio and some free weights. If you can swallow the up front costs of grabbing a set of dumbells, a pullup bar, and a set of pushup handles go for it.

1. Write down your goals. If you can't commit to your goals you'll find excuses to cheat. STAY ACCOUNTABLE!

2. (Optional) Get a workout partner. Not necessary but helpful for a spotter. It's also great for someone to push you. Start telling friends and family you're working out...again accountability.

3. A diet of lean low-fat meats. Chicken breasts, turkey breasts, fish, etc. One of my favorite quick meals is Tilapia with a little cinnamon, curry, and thyme - delicious, cheap, filling! Brown rice, and whole wheat pastas for complex carbs. Slow digesting carbs like sweet potatoes are great after 5:00 P.M. Don't skimp on veggies!

4. Supplementation! Invest in a good multivitamin. Make sure you're getting in some good pharmaceutical grade fish oil too. For sake of cost I'll just stop there.

6. Train like a beast! Push yourself to failure EVERY TIME! You can google the pros and cons of high reps, or lifting heavy with low reps.

How serious am I? What exactly is that supposed to mean?
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Mendoza wrote:
s1mplehumar wrote:OK, how serious are you? If you're looking to casually lose weight, forget it. Disregard the prior "forget weights" posts and start kicking some tail with combined regiment of cardio and some free weights. If you can swallow the up front costs of grabbing a set of dumbells, a pullup bar, and a set of pushup handles go for it.

How serious am I? What exactly is that supposed to mean?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

elmagicochrisg wrote:I did hear kettlebells are really interesting too though. Anyone have any experience with these?...

Kettlebells are great. I've used them a number of times and would buy one in a heartbeat if a new 30 lb kettlebell wasn't ~$50. I've found that a dumbbell can be used as a halfway decent substitute if you don't have access to kettlebells.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton