The Comic Book Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: The Comic Book Thread

Post by Ziggy »

I finished reading Batman: Year One and it was absolutely fantastic! I really enjoyed it. The story, the dialog and the artwork were all great. For an art style that sort of sketchy and not overflowing with detail, there's actually a lot of detail in there. Some frames were really fun to look at and find items, like a Vogue magazine on the floor in Selina's apartment or a pack of cigarettes on someone's desk. Or the Peanuts lamp on the commissioner's desk, and IIRC it was later revealed that he's a pop culture memorabilia collector.

One thing though, it could often feel rushed. Not in a bad way, if anything it makes it more of a page turner. I haven't read many comics yet, so I'm wondering if this is just how a lot of comics tend to be. I mean, it's not a novel, and I wouldn't even want them to be too wordy. This is not even a complaint, more just an observation. I guess I'm still learning about comics.

This is the first anything I've read by Frank Miller. That's one name that is well known, even by people that have never touched a comic book. Now I think I know why. Are all of his writings this good? If so, I think I'll have to search out other things by him.

Year One was popular enough that there's been a few more runs that are more or less sequels to it. So right now I'm in the middle of reading The Man Who Laughs, which takes place after the events of Year One. I just really wanted to read this one since it was on my list anyway, and Joker is teased at the end of Year One. But chronologically, there are two runs that take place in between Year One and The Man Who Laughs. And then there's Year Two and Year Three. I might stay on this Batman continuity instead of hoping around. It seems like it would get way too confusing to read many different Batman runs from different timelines.

I still haven't finished The Thrawn Trilogy, but that's mostly just because Year One really sucked me in. I don't mind taking breaks and hoping around between issues. After all, that's what you would do if you were reading issues as they were released. Sort of like binge watching a series on a streaming service coming to watching one episode per week. I love binging things, but I find that the breaks in between episodes or issues or whatever lets you digest them better. It tends to all blur together and be more forgettable when you binge.

I found a lot of Creepshow comics on eBay for a decent price...

Even with the duplicate (variant), it was still a very good price per issue. I think after shipping they were something like $6.30 per issue. I love horror anthologies, and I've always loved the Creepshow movies (at least the first two). I didn't read a whole lot of reviews for these, I kind of just want to dive into them. That's what I would have done if I read comics as a kid and saw these in a shop.

marurun wrote:I would seriously recommend any comics/graphic novels written by Greg Rucka. His opening run on Batwoman is fantastic. For something more real-world, Queen and Country by Oni Press is great. Rucka's Wonder Woman is fantastic. Rucka's own Lazarus comic on Image is very good as well. Get yourself some Greg Rucka.

Thanks! I'll look into him.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

The old EC Comics are collected in compilations that Dark Horse put out.

There's also Hack/Slash, which is about a final girl-type heroine who hunts slasher-style killers.

I also recommend Zenetrope's Grimm Fairy Tales, which gives old fairy tales a dark and violent update. The stories themselves are framed around an overarching narrative. They also spun off into standalone releases based on Alice in Wonderland (though that's damn near a spinoff series), Peter Pan and Sleepy Hollow.

As for superheroes, I mostly stick to standalone graphic novels and limited series trade paperbacks like Superman Smashes the Klan, Harley Quinn: Breakinh Glass and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Also there's the Boom Studios adaptation of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers whose Shattered Grid arc inspired the game Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

REPO Man wrote:The old EC Comics are collected in compilations that Dark Horse put out.

There's also Hack/Slash, which is about a final girl-type heroine who hunts slasher-style killers.

I also recommend Zenetrope's Grimm Fairy Tales, which gives old fairy tales a dark and violent update. The stories themselves are framed around an overarching narrative. They also spun off into standalone releases based on Alice in Wonderland (though that's damn near a spinoff series), Peter Pan and Sleepy Hollow.

As for superheroes, I mostly stick to standalone graphic novels and limited series trade paperbacks like Superman Smashes the Klan, Harley Quinn: Breakinh Glass and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Also there's the Boom Studios adaptation of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers whose Shattered Grid arc inspired the game Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid.

I'm a casual MMPR fan, mostly familiar with the earliest seasons with Tommy as Green/White Ranger up to the Zeo Rangers. I can attest to the Boom Studios comics being really good though I haven't read all of them. Most of what I have read revolves around the early teams. The stories flesh out the characters from the show a bit more while also giving them a bit more of an adult feel (Rita Repulsa in particular is MUCH cooler in the comic books). If the Power Rangers show was for kids, I'd say that the comics feel more young adult oriented. The comics are technically not part of the tv show's canon, but they never contradict anything from the show (as far as I know) and there are toys and games based on stuff that are exclusive to the comics. So it kind of feels like Boom Studios has established a continuity that is just as valid as the one from the tv show. Once you see characters like the Ranger Slayer and Lord Drakkon, you'll WISH that they had been in the tv show.

The comics are far all intents and purposes a more grown up version of Power Rangers with additional stories, characters, and character development that wasn't in the show. If I have one minor gripe it's that Trini feels a bit too OP in the comics. It's like there's literally NOTHING that she can't do and she feels a bit like a Mary Sue sometimes, but Kimberly Hart on the other hand, is way more awesome in the comic books than she was on the show and Rita feels like a legitimately more intimidating and cerebral villain in the comics with a majestic, eerie, vibe to her.

I haven't played Battle for the Grid, as I'm not into fighting games these days, but I've heard it's a fun fighter, but lacks content.

R.I.P. Jason David Frank, his passing renewed my interest in Power Rangers and is the reason I even decided to try out the Boom Studios comics
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Being a 90's kid, yeah, you couldn't get away from MMPR. I, too, am only familiar with the original US run. I can remember "the green ranger mini series," but after that I didn't watch the show much. I caught a few early episodes on NetFlix more recently, but it's not exactly something I can binge watch. Mostly because that damn theme song seems to play constantly. In fact, just reading a sample of the comic, the theme song is stuck in my head now lol.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion. I picked up volume 1 of Boom's MMPR in digital format, it was really cheap. Even more so with all of the digital credits Amazon wants to give you these days.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Ziggy587 wrote:Being a 90's kid, yeah, you couldn't get away from MMPR. I, too, am only familiar with the original US run. I can remember "the green ranger mini series," but after that I didn't watch the show much. I caught a few early episodes on NetFlix more recently, but it's not exactly something I can binge watch. Mostly because that damn theme song seems to play constantly. In fact, just reading a sample of the comic, the theme song is stuck in my head now lol.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion. I picked up volume 1 of Boom's MMPR in digital format, it was really cheap. Even more so with all of the digital credits Amazon wants to give you these days.

There's actually a recent Netflix special that brings back much of the original team. It sort of addresses the real life death of the actress who played Trini and features the Green Ranger in costume the whole time (since Jason David Frank is dead). It also features a rather horrifying version of Rita who is now in a completely robotic body. I started watching one day but didn't get around to finishing it. It was interesting seeing Billy, Zak, etc. as older people

Fun fact about the comics, some of them literally try to put that theme song in your head by printing the actual lyrics on the page as you're watching them do a Zord transformation :lol:

You gotta love that dedication to making the comic feel like you're watching the show
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yes, I think I've seen that on NetFlix. I've added it to my list, but I haven't watched it yet.

I've read through the first issue of Creepshow, and it was definitely entertaining. Maybe not the most engaging stories, but there was definitely some laugh out loud moments. I'll spoiler and example, not just for a story spoiler but also because it's violent.

The first story, a group of teenage boys are trick-or-treating and come upon a house with a bowl of full sized candy bars and a sign that says "take one." Long story short, they take them all then some sort of spook or specter enacts its revenge on them for doing so. One boy gets his face smashed into a sewer grate, and then the ghost stomps on the back of his head. There's a frame of the boy's face being smashed into the grate, as seen from the sewer side, and his eyes are popping out of his head. It made me laugh out loud at how grotesquely violent it was.

With how violent it was in such a nonchalant kind of way, it made me check the date. I thought these were older, but they're actually very new. The first issue came out in September of 2022, and they had an issue each month until January. Too bad it stopped, with a quick internet search I haven't seen any word of more issues coming out.

I still wanna check out Tales from the Crypt. I know not to expect the same thing. These recent Creepshow stories seem to be gory (I've only read the first issues, but I'm assuming most if not all of the rest are gory). Whereas Tales from the Crypt, from the premises I've read, are horror but with a more Twilight Zone kind of feel to them. Which is definitely my jam.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

URL without context deleted by mods

Do not just drop a link with no explanatory context.
rainingman

Post by rainingman »

I just finished George Takei's They Called Us Enemy - which though is sloppily marketed as graphic memoir is far from sloppy. Another marketing term would be genre-bending, which it is. But as all good memoirs, it focuses on the underside of formalized history--the lived, individual, largely unrecorded (or deemed not worth recording). It is indeed quite telling that the academy prefers to use the term "graphic novel" to "comic." As if they need to invent a respectable term to study works they don't really regard as serious enough, if at all serious in the first place. This is not to say that there aren't bad comics; sure there are, just as there are bad novels. I do think the term "graphic novel" can be useful at times, but I just don't like how rigidly it is often used in the academy. Nonetheless, Takei's work, which is great, also problematizes the naming of works. How indeed are graphic memoirs different from the garden variety comic and the graphic novel? The good ones--genre notwithstanding--reward careful reading, which should be enough I'd think.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I've been really enjoying reading comics. Being that a single issue doesn't take very long to read through, it's nice to be able to read in short bursts or longer depending on how I feel. For example, a lot of times on work days I don't have the energy to read for very long after work. So it's nice to have small chunks to read in, if need be.

I've already mentioned that I read Batman Year One, and I was very impressed with it. So I've sort of been going down the Batman rabbit hole. After looking into it a little, there's a lot of things that are in continuity with Year One. But it's sort of confusing, it looks like Year One is part of multiple continuities LOL.

After Year One, I read The Man Who Laughs. It was also very enjoyable, although I think I enjoyed Year One a little more. The hardcover of The Man Who Laughs that I picked up also includes two other tales. One is some sort of Batman Noir. It's a standalone story in its own universe, I suppose. I was enjoyable. There's also a Batman tale guest starring the Green Lantern, but I haven't read that one yet.

Then I read the Dark Moon Rising series, which is composed of two tales: Monster Men being the first, and The Mad Monk being the second. Monster Men has the villain Hugo Strange, who I thought was a great character. The Mad Monk was kind of weird in that the main villain might be a vampire. I mean, I think we're suppose to assume that he is, but I thought it was ambiguous enough that it leaves it as a "is he, isn't he" question mark. Both stories share some interesting sub plots. Namely, a love interest and the organize crime families in Gothom. I don't think Dark Moon Rising is the highest regarded Batman tale, but I found it enjoyable. Perhaps because I don't have much to compare it to yet?

The Dark Moon Rising series is spread over 10 issues, and I actually picked up the individual issues since I was able to get them cheap enough. At first, I was kind of annoyed at how many ads there are in those issues. About half of the pages are ads! But there are a lot of fun ads to look at. These issues came out in the early 2000's, so all of the video game ads are now retro gaming! Lots of Gamecube, PS2, Xbox stuff. As well as some PSP and GBA! So I ended up enjoying the ads, despite how many there were.

After that I read Prey. Prey is a great sequel of sorts to Monster Men, at least in the sense of Hugo Strange. I find Dr. Strange to be a very fun character. He fights Batman with psychological warfare, and it picks up on some threads from Year One. So it all seems like a continuation of the Year One story. The digital copy of Prey that I bought also came with Terror, so I read them both back to back. Terror is a sequel to Prey, which came out many issues later, but fits perfectly right after Prey. I definitely enjoyed both.

Next I read Gothic, which was a good read but not exactly traditional Batman. It falls more into the supernatural category, like Mad Monk, and I'm just not use to that when it comes to Batman. Still, it was a pretty decent read. Dark though, even for a Batman tale. Unlike Mad Monk, I don't think it was ambiguous at all. There definitely is a supernatural element to it. Could be a good stand alone read for October.

Then I read Venom, which seems to have polarizing opinions. It kind of works as a stand alone tale, although it still fits into the continuity I'm in. I thought it was a good read, and enjoyable, but not near my favorite of what I've read so far. It's a nice dive into the psyche of Bruce Wayne, especially in the early years. And it's kind of neat to see the drug venom early on, knowing that it comes into play again...

Then I read The Long Halloween. And damn, it was good! It was definitely a page turner. I've heard complaints that Batman doesn't really do anything, and stuff is just happening. But I think that's what makes it great. It's face paced, and the events are out of control for Batman. I thought the story and artwork were both top notch. It might have been my favorite Batman read yet. It also seems to very neatly start the transition from the Year One Batman into the established Batman. Namely, how the organized crime families are Batman's biggest enemy during the Year One era.

And now I'm reading Dark Victory, which is a sequel to Long Halloween. I'm not finished with it yet, but so far I think I'm liking it MORE than Long Halloween! After this, I might read Catwomen: When in Rome. As I understand it, it's a tale that takes place in parallel to Dark Victory. In the timeline that I'm reading, I've been enjoying the character of Selina / Catwomen so far. So I see no reason not to read it.

After that, sheesh, there's only a million and one other Batman tales to read. I'll take a break from Batman at some point, but right now it's just sucking me in. I do want to read some Superman, and perhaps so other superheroes as well.

I still have to finish the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy. It's just that Batman Year One was so good that I'm sort of hooked on Batman right now LOL. After that, in the Star Wars department, I think I'll read Shadows of the Empire. I've been wanting to read that one since the 90's!

It's sort of bad to binge stuff like this, because (for me at least) it ends up blurring together and it doesn't resonate the same way. If I read them at a slower rate, you have time in between to let them sink in. But they've just been so good, I can't help it!

I did pick up the first volume of Power Rangers and made it to chapter two. I don't know, it just didn't suck me in. I love the artwork, and the character and the lore and everything is cool enough. I don't know, maybe it's just too boiled down of a formula for me at this point. Power Rangers are in school, Rita sends down a new monster, it's morphin' time, Rangers in peril, but no, they defeat said monster. That's not to say I don't like it. I don't know, I'll have to read more. I'll at the very least finish the volume I have.

I also picked up the first volume of the EC Archives Tales from the Crypt. I've read 2 or 3 stories so far, and they're great! I haven't read a story yet that really knocked my socks off, but I think they're perfectly entertaining stories considering the time they were written in. I mean, they hold up well today.

rainingman wrote: It is indeed quite telling that the academy prefers to use the term "graphic novel" to "comic." As if they need to invent a respectable term to study works they don't really regard as serious enough, if at all serious in the first place.

Funny you brought that up, because I've been thinking about this. I was somewhat confused. I've heard the term "graphic novel" before, but I always thought that was something different than a comic. But it seems they can be used interchangeably, to some extent. Like, if a number of comic issues are collected into a book, you can call that a graphic novel. I always thought a graphic novel was just that. Something that someone wrote, in a comic book style, with the intentions of it being a book. And I thought collected comic issues, or an omnibus, were still comics. But no, it seems you can call them graphic novels.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Give Power Rangers more time. It gets really going after awhile. I won't say a lot about what happens but if you've played Battle for the Grid it's based on the Shattered Grid arc from the comics.