Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Limewater »

REPO Man wrote:Everyone born July to mothers impregnated via intercourse who were mot born late or early exist because their fathers did not practice No Nut November.

I know this is a joke, but they way they measure pregnancy is actually kind of weird. It's measured from the start of the last menstrual cycle, so fertilization can't generally happen until at least a week or two into the pregnancy.
Then, by the medical definition of pregnancy, the pregnancy doesn't occur until implantation into the uterus, which days later still.

There are practical reasons for both of these things, but it's still weird.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

i checked prices on tv series boxset on ebay and they to have gone way down. Those used to be $200-400 easy. Big Bang theory is like $90 bluray .while on itunes it's $20 per season.
between the two options you save around $140. Its even more ironic since the digital version is just a copyable file where physical media has to be manufactured, pressed, packaged, and shipped.

Not sure if prices are becoming lower or we are seeing the clearance of whatever physical media still around.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Got some Nintendo-brand hanafuda cards. So pretty!!!!!!!!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I got some of those hanafuda cards a couple years ago. I’m afraid to open them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Keep 'em sealed and play one of many digital versions on Steam.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I always wondered if life was better and more pleasant pre-internet (slower pace) and the current high expectations. As I watch Married with Children (1987) and Fraiser(1993) , seems its all the same. I mean without the obvious signs that its from a previous decades, they could release it today and it would be just as enjoyable and just as modern.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

A lot of people are into anime but personally I am a fan of the western cartoon art style like Thundercats, The Sword in the Stone, and Dragon's Lair...which seem pretty dead.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I think it's mostly budget limitations. There are some cartoons that have a higher quality standard and try for a traditionally animated style at least (even if it's usually advanced cell shading filters over 3D). Some off the top of my head: Green Eggs & Ham, Guess How Much I Love You and Harriet the Spy (stretching it to mention The Woodlies or The Dragon Prince). Few and far between tho...
I think other shows that have a bigger budget just went full 3D. Donald Bluth's animation was just the best anyone could do back then aside from live action or puppeteering.

Sad how many shows just went cal-arts cookie cutter tho - didn't even try for an original style or go beyond toon-boom default preset.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

What I do not get is that pre-2000's there was all the money in the world to produce those animations. There were so many of them. Now its all budget constraints. If it used to make money then, it should be easier than ever to make money now. The distribution system is much easier.

conversely, I heard Disney was not happy with the numbers behind The Princess and the Frog and kids preferred the 3D animations. I do not understand kids today. Every kid I knew loved hand drawn animation.

I hate those simple cartoon drawings you showed an example of. It might have worked for Family Guy but I really do not like for it to be the norm.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

In Gumball's defense, many of the characters are done in a vast array of animation styles.

But like it's been said, it's cheaper and easier to just film something, and sadly like the new head of Warner Discovery said, these companies seem to be prioritizing content over art. So basically the same formula for success that mockbuster maestros The Asylum use. Essentially make cheap shit and more often than not the average consumer won't think twice and by the time they realize it's crap, you've already got their money. Seriously, look it up. The Asylum has yet to lose money on their movies because they're so cheaply made and usually get bought by folks that don't know any better.

But Hollywood doesn't care. They measure success in profits and an actor's talent by their looks. Ironic since Hollywood literally started off as a bastion of independent cinema. In the old days you had to pay Thomas Edison's company for the rights to make motion pictures, so a bunch of folks set up shop literally on the other side of the country because it would have cost too much to send lawyers out west to stop them.

I have a similar bee in my bunghole about anime. Back when everything was done by hand, it looked gorgeous. The backgrounds looked like works of art and the whole thing usually dripped with style. Aside from Studio Ghibli, the last modern anime film I truly loved was Origin: Spirits of the Past.