Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
opa
128-bit

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by opa Sat May 14, 2022 3:01 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
opa wrote:My browsers: chrome (windows), chromium (linux), duckduckgo (mobile). Chrome is a resource hog but I put up with it for now. I don't use Windows a whole lot.

Linux all the way! If you ever want to return to the fold, I think you'll find that Firefox on Linux is much, much improved than it was even 5 years ago.

I didn't realize you used Linux, too, but I see your Chromebook thread now. There's now at least a half of a half of a dozen of us here!

I'll have to give firefox a try when I have the time. Yeah, I use linux more now than Windows. Whenever my windows 10 build doesn't receive security updates I'll probably do a linux desktop build. I have to troubleshoot all my own pc issues anyway... why not use linux?

I will say- if you have a relative that you have to provide constant computer help for... give them a chromebook with a few years of security updates and it will simplify your life.

Now I'm not "lord of linux" or anything but I learn a bit more every day. I enjoy it a lot more than the BS you deal with in other OS's.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 14, 2022 3:06 pm

I think it’s mildly hilarious that Chromium, the web rendering engine that dominates web browsing, is built on Apple’s WebKit. Hard to believe that Apple is core (pun intended) of the software that basically runs the internet.

But really, give me Firefox any day of the week. That browser slams.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat May 14, 2022 3:24 pm

opa wrote:Now I'm not "lord of linux" or anything but I learn a bit more every day. I enjoy it a lot more than the BS you deal with in other OS's.

I'm definitely not a super power user, but I do know my way around it now. I switched to it after seeing what Windows 8 will look like and honestly never looked back. A friend tried to tell me that Windows 10 was awesome now, but I found the experience the exact opposite. Ads in Windows search? Searching for files and web results come up? What is this nonsense? Nevermind the forced updates and forced reboots. Windows is trash.

What's annoying is that we use Mac at work, and it's no better. Same forced updates, same website suggestions when you search for files. The freedom to fully customize, to limit, to expand, to not be forced to use branded, proprietary software is such a relief. Plus, now that Steam Proton is working well, I don't even need to keep a Windows boot for games.

I thought I needed to keep a boot around for Zoom (for work), but switching back from Wayland fixes the one screen-sharing problem I had.

If you ever need any help / advice on Linux, or just want to chit chat about it, let me know. Actually, maybe it's a good idea to start a new thread.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Sat May 14, 2022 6:24 pm

My wife and kids still run Windows, but I haven't run Windows on my personal machine since XP. I still use it at work, though. I used to run CentOS, but it's kind of a pain as a desktop, so I switched to Ubuntu.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun May 15, 2022 4:38 am

@o.pwuaioc

Whats your distro of choice? I have been thinking of switching to Linux but the app selection scares me. The general idea of Linux apps is there is a substitute option but that option usually the worse option compared to what is available on MacOS/Windows. I always say if both(apps) were free, which would you choose the Windows app or the Linux app? If you say Linux app then at that point it has reached the level where its equal or better than its Windows/Mac counterpart.

It doesn't help that most Linux users are programmer savvy and would usually fix their own issues. I heard one time a guy had a problem with a hardware and someone online wrote a driver for it (mind blown gif here)

As for Brave, I heard Chromium still has the Google spy code, not sure if true but I would like to support a different and new competitors in the market.

@marurun

and Webkit is based on KHTML (foss) . I am using Firefox, and honestly have 0 issues, not sure what people talk about when they say use Chrome it works better there. Free, FOSS, plugins, privacy friendly, mutli-platform, fast, what more do you want? Everyone should use Firefox
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:Actually, maybe it's a good idea to start a new thread.

I've actually been thinking about starting 2022 editions of "what OS" and "what browser are you using" threads. I made an OS thread a few years back with a poll because 7 was nearing end of life and I wanted to see how many people have moved on to 10 or were still using an older OS. Now I'm equally curious to know if anyone has moved on to 11 or is still on 8 or 10 (or Linux, OSX). Also, I recently saw a YouTube video that showed that Fire Fox is way behind in it's user base compared to Edge and Chrome. So much so that it might not bounce back. So I was going to start a thread with a poll of what browser everyone uses.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon May 16, 2022 4:21 am

i'd like to participate in such thread, this kind of thing interests me. As for FF, once you lose users its hard to gain them back because you need an advantage to gain users and while FF is great (imo) there isn't enough to make people ditch Chrome for it especially that more sites are made to work on Chrome than FF (at least what I hear, no issues here).

The only way I see it is you have to spread the idea of privacy + decentralising the internet instead of letting Google control your browsing . We do not want another IE situation.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 24, 2022 11:55 am

Starting to work on my zelda project, and the rough copy of the intro might be the worst thing I've ever made. It's like if Ed Wood tried to do Lynch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvUVz15-3gw
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 24, 2022 3:54 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Starting to work on my zelda project, and the rough copy of the intro might be the worst thing I've ever made. It's like if Ed Wood tried to do Lynch

According to our agreed-upon definition, that’s actually peak cinema. :lol:

I actually liked it. My only advice would be to take the stuff off of your nightstand, the brands are distracting.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 24, 2022 6:57 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Starting to work on my zelda project, and the rough copy of the intro might be the worst thing I've ever made. It's like if Ed Wood tried to do Lynch

According to our agreed-upon definition, that’s actually peak cinema. :lol:

I actually liked it. My only advice would be to take the stuff off of your nightstand, the brands are distracting.

Plus the brands might not wanna be associated with the video :lol: sounds good
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever