Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ack Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:59 am

I also like larger phones, but that's because I struggle with typing on smaller phone keyboards, virtual or otherwise. Hell, I struggle typing on larger ones too, but they're still more manageable for my thumbs.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:25 pm

I miss the messenger type phones form back in the day. I have a couple that I can remember. One was a flip phone where you can open it vertically as if it were a regular phone. Then you can flip it open horizontally and type with a QWERTY keyboard.

The other phone was a candy bar style with a crappy touch screen up front and then can be opened like a tiny laptop to reveal a QWERTY keyboard and a larger screen.

Edit: here’s the second phone - LG EnV

And the first one is the Samsung Alias 1.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

by marurun Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:34 pm

There were a few Android phones made with slide out keyboards. I think a tiny keyboard case could be neat, assuming they could make them slim enough.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:57 pm

I used a blackberry-like phone for years. Was green, almost square, but when I needed to type I could just slide it up to reveal an actual mini keyboard. I loved that little thing.

Now I have a Note 10. Big change :lol: But I enjoy the larger screen and the pen, so I can take notes or draw sketches right on my phone.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:28 am

I miss slide-out keyboard phones. I keep trying to use smaller phones, but without a tactile keyboard, typing can get difficult. It's really too bad physical keyboards are reserved for low-end specialty phones. I especially hate phones with that wrap-over the edge image. Such a stupid "feature". Who wants some of their content uselessly cut off and warped? I'm okay with cutouts and curved corners if they're beyond the 16x9 bounds (so actual media content and any apps you choose can be kept same-shape with some black bars on the widest part). Foldable is just... ugh.

I know a lot of people who use only their phone - even a couple of guys who only have their phone and a chromecast, then use their phone mirrored on the screen for all their entertainment. Not something I'd be comfortable with, but it really seems to work for them. There's something to be said for something that compact and simple. I operate my desktop computer remotely from my phone all the time - I just lower the resolution and it's fully available to do computer-stuff that a phone just can't. My mobile computer I take to jobs and therefore daily use about 1/2 of the year is a GPD Win2 - the same size as a 3DS-XL. I dock it of course, but it's fully functional standalone.

I wish I could use a watch-phone as my main, but the battery life is too bad. I think wearable tech is awesome, but IRL it's so impractical. If I didn't dislike Apple products, I'd be wearing an apple watch with a sim card in it. Some of my co-workers use them.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:14 am

Don't wanna do activist stuff here, but I am in a group called the HDF, or the Hylian Dodongo Foundation. The Dodongo is almost extinct thanks to poaching and demonizing from the Gorons and Hylians. We are trying to get rid of the stigma, and to help #SaveTheDodongos

See our video here https://youtu.be/mRFck_Fqbwo
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:13 am

Hope you guys are doing well!

In case anybody noticed, I've taken some time off from writing for the last month or so and will probably take a break for most of January.
Between day job picking up a lot and family time, the time and energy hasn't been there.
And sometimes it's just good to take a break from a certain project.
Hoping I'll come back with a fresh mind in the New Year.

Have a great holiday season, everyone!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:59 pm

Most people today would consider no electricity and no running water an inhumane condition, meanwhile this was the standard of living even for rich people for most of human's existence.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:16 pm

why was auto-save invented earlier? It sure would have saved a lot of frustration back in the 90s and early 2000s.
marurun

by marurun Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Auto save existed as early as the late 80s, but wasn’t necessarily commonplace then.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever