Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:53 pm

The good TV shows might still exist. Last I enjoyed was Better Call Saul but it seems that the "shovelware" concept has reached TV. I saw a few episodes of those Netflix super hero shows. They are not bad just nothing special to keep watching. I guess if there was a lot less tv shows then more attention could be paid to them.

In retrospect, I saw few episodes of the tv phenomena series Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Honestly in today's standards its pretty meh , but I really can see how pre-internet days this was an extremely interesting show. I guess quality+interest is relative.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:57 am

I miss when I could talk about TV with everyone, because it is still a major topic among my family and co-workers, but I just can't bring myself to even finish watching a season of all or any of the best shows - I know they're good, and I have subscriptions to all the major streaming services available. I watch some anime, and I occasionally watch a relevant episode of Mythbusters. I was really into Letterkenny, but I'm fully addicted to Youtube. It knows what I'm interested in, and Google's algorithms are really well built. I'm glad I found some content creators I would've never known about. I also think it's awesome that Jack Conte created the solution to Youtube's demonetization and allows me to use his service to support these content creators. My mom and I have been trying to watch some new shows just to spend some time together, but when we get to the mid point, we both agree that it's just not worth continuing, and try to find another. Last one we finished was Wandavision - great show even tho she had no idea it was a comic book adaptation and no previous knowledge of the universe. She had watched four of the current relevant movies related to the events, but zoned out. I filled her in between episodes.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:19 pm

I don't have time for much television. There is a huge glut of television shows right now, and they can't all be winners. I'm not sure the ration of great television to bad is all that different.

I think there is some selection bias at work, because mostly only the best shows get remembered and/or rebroadcast as re-runs. Everyone remembers Arrested Development, but when it came out there wasn't anything else like it on American Television.

The Good Place ended its run in 2020 and is very, very good. It's hilarious, ambitious, has no filler episodes, and doesn't overstay its welcome.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:16 am

Anapan wrote:I miss when I could talk about TV with everyone, because it is still a major topic among my family and co-workers, but I just can't bring myself to even finish watching a season of all or any of the best shows - I know they're good, and I have subscriptions to all the major streaming services available. I watch some anime, and I occasionally watch a relevant episode of Mythbusters. I was really into Letterkenny, but I'm fully addicted to Youtube. It knows what I'm interested in, and Google's algorithms are really well built. I'm glad I found some content creators I would've never known about. I also think it's awesome that Jack Conte created the solution to Youtube's demonetization and allows me to use his service to support these content creators. My mom and I have been trying to watch some new shows just to spend some time together, but when we get to the mid point, we both agree that it's just not worth continuing, and try to find another. Last one we finished was Wandavision - great show even tho she had no idea it was a comic book adaptation and no previous knowledge of the universe. She had watched four of the current relevant movies related to the events, but zoned out. I filled her in between episodes.

I think a lot of it has to do with the short attention span and the internet. I think if people did not have modern smartphones and infinite internet access with short videos on all topics they like + social media, more attention will be paid to tv shows.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:31 pm

ffs Small.jpeg
ffs Small.jpeg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
I am find this to be very true the difficult way
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:45 am

Definitely I lost the attention span for RPGs and jrpgs, but I'm trying to get my nephew to stop watching so much YouTube long enough to make something physical in the real world. My brother and I set up my shop to craft weapons - making blanks from spring steel that he can shape and sharpen rapidly. It's rare to catch his attention from watching shills play Minecraft and hawk broken unfinished inide games, but we really did make a few full knives.
so-far the woodworking has 0roduced some great products, tho my brother spent the time finishing them.. I'll post pictures.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:21 am

Where are you sourcing your spring steel?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:48 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
Anapan wrote:I miss when I could talk about TV with everyone, because it is still a major topic among my family and co-workers, but I just can't bring myself to even finish watching a season of all or any of the best shows - I know they're good, and I have subscriptions to all the major streaming services available. I watch some anime, and I occasionally watch a relevant episode of Mythbusters. I was really into Letterkenny, but I'm fully addicted to Youtube. It knows what I'm interested in, and Google's algorithms are really well built. I'm glad I found some content creators I would've never known about. I also think it's awesome that Jack Conte created the solution to Youtube's demonetization and allows me to use his service to support these content creators. My mom and I have been trying to watch some new shows just to spend some time together, but when we get to the mid point, we both agree that it's just not worth continuing, and try to find another. Last one we finished was Wandavision - great show even tho she had no idea it was a comic book adaptation and no previous knowledge of the universe. She had watched four of the current relevant movies related to the events, but zoned out. I filled her in between episodes.

I think a lot of it has to do with the short attention span and the internet. I think if people did not have modern smartphones and infinite internet access with short videos on all topics they like + social media, more attention will be paid to tv shows.

I think there is just too many shows out these days. You used to just have cable series. Then came the hbo channel type series, and then all the streaming services series. Too many choices, not enough time lol.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:57 pm

stickem wrote:I think there is just too many shows out these days. You used to just have cable series. Then came the hbo channel type series, and then all the streaming services series. Too many choices, not enough time lol.

Indeed. Previously you had to catch the episode being aired, recorded it, or wait for a rerun . If any one here recalls, back in the mid 90's there wasn't much option to buy full series. Today we have the whole human video archive one click away...paid or free(illegal, still doable though)!

Its not just time though, its also attention.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:04 am

MrPopo wrote:Where are you sourcing your spring steel?

When we repair mills, there is tons (hundreds of tons, literally) of scrap steel dumped in the scrap steel bins every day. Sometimes we need to have the smaller hopper type bins in our work areas emptied multiple times a day. In this instance, I wasn't directly involved, but in other cases I've talked with the mill project manager for permission to keep some old, used fittings and fasteners I couldn't buy new. My guess about this material is some cutoffs from our new material that were too small and would've ended up in the scrap bin ended up in the superintendent's truck box. I know that it isn't just regular leaf-spring material, but bracing that was used as a vibration suppressor on a 48 ton vessel - lots of engineering stamps for specialty hardened steel.
I forgot I posted in this thread until just now, but I'll ask my bro for pics tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever