Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
opa
128-bit

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by opa »

I hate most websites now. More specifically: I loathe websites for restaurants. I don't want your app, I don't want to sign up, I don't want to log in, I don't want you to know my location, and I don't want to start an order.

Just, please, let me look at the basic menu online.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

opa wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:17 pm I hate most websites now. More specifically: I loathe websites for restaurants. I don't want your app, I don't want to sign up, I don't want to log in, I don't want you to know my location, and I don't want to start an order.

Just, please, let me look at the basic menu online.
Agreed 100%. Even the QR codes which only point to a menu suck, though I'll give them an exception since it allows for adjusting the menu without needing to print everything out all over again. But anything further than that is intolerable. Who in their right mind actually wants to sign up for an app just to get a deal at McDonalds? The food is bottom of barrel shit to begin with.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I don't even like the QR code menus at this point. There's a number of problems with it:

-Does the customer have a usable device?
-Does the business have free wifi if the customer doesn't have cell service?
-Is there an alternative if the customer's device doesn't work?
-What about people with visual disabilities?
-What if the web server is down and the menu doesn't work?

I've been to a few restaurants that have pushed the QR code to order and it has been a mostly poor experience. One time I couldn't even get a connection on my phone; had to wait until my wife was done looking so I could use hers.

It seems like some idea a manager thought of without taking two seconds to consider any drawbacks.