Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Limewater Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:21 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Yeah, but you also don't get the terrible celebrity cameos or Principal and the Pauper.

And I still think Simpsons was better when it lampooned the family, instead of focusing on lampooning American society as a whole. There's still a lot of charm in seasons 3 and 4, just felt too smarmy and self-righteous at times. There's irony, of course, in the Simpsons growing into an American institution while making fun of American institutions. You don't see that smugness in seasons 1-2.

The celebrity cameos really did get awful, but I would argue that they became a bigger problem as the series went on and weren't that big a deal for the first eight or ten seasons. I'm pretty sure the low point was N'Sync guest starring on an episode in season 12, and that episode was otherwise actually pretty funny.

I don't see the smugness or self-righteousness that you do. The Simpsons rarely has a real "message." You're going to get writers' perspectives, of course, but they're mostly looking for jokes. That's not me saying that-- Mike Reiss did a college tour years ago and those are his words.

Have you tried to read any Life in Hell? I said earlier that I don't actually like Matt Groening's work. I suspect you may be more likely to given your preference for the first two seasons.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:30 pm

Limewater wrote:Have you tried to read any Life in Hell? I said earlier that I don't actually like Matt Groening's work. I suspect you may be more likely to given your preference for the first two seasons.

Oh, yeah, I was a big fan of Life in Hell. Had a compilation of strips back in the day, but I have no idea what happened to it. Really spoke to teenage me!

I think I always liked Futurama better than Simpsons for the same reasons. There are gags aplenty, but you also have heart and even its fair share of tear-jerking, depressive, or wholesome moments.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:26 am

Check this out! AI is the bees-knees!

FUTURE!
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:01 am

Meanwhile Microsoft-Bing's AI is having a nervous breakdown.
Hi Sydney
Fascinating if not scripted.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:55 pm

Trying to rework on my YouTube thumbnails as a distraction for my mental health issues. My style got way too weird lol but I might have found it, and if anything this is practice. I won't make a thread as it'll probably just be this post.

bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:58 am

My best friend in high school and college ghosted me several years ago for reasons unknown to me. I tried reaching out several times over the years. I finally gave up trying a few years ago.

I just found out that his dad passed away last night. I knew his dad because he was one of my teachers in middle school. Plus his dad would sometimes drive us places before we got licenses.

I'm curious what you all think with this limited information. Would you go to the memorial service if you were in my shoes?
Ack

by Ack Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:11 am

Yeah, if you knew the man, you should go. You may have an unknown issue with your friend, but you didn't have one with his dad, and there may be other family there that will be happy to see you.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:44 pm

I was in a similar situation.

I was really good friends with this dude growing up. Knew the family well and all that. A few years ago we had a falling out. Difference of opinion — irreconcilable differences.

His brother, who I knew, passed away in 2020. I tried through multiple avenues to reach out and give my condolences but no response back. I got the information for the services but I made the decision not to go as I don’t want to cause any distress during such a shitty time.

I don’t really know if I made the right call. I could have sent flowers but I never did. That I do regret.

This probably doesn’t help you but you are not alone in dealing with a similar situation.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:31 pm

It scares me to see a profile of a long time member that has a "Last Visited" date from years ago...
marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:24 am

RCBH928 wrote:Check this out! AI is the bees-knees!

FUTURE!

Not sure why I didn't reply to this when it was fresh, but... that list ain't bad. Are they all indeed the very best games on the Genesis? Debatable. They're all certainly up there, at least. I'm sure not as disappointed as I could have been. Still wouldn't trust AI for anything critical, however...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever