Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Ack »

Vapid describes pretty much all social media stuff.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ack wrote:Vapid describes pretty much all social media stuff.

You're right. I was redundant!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:https://twitter.com/LadyDecade/status/1426972999543054336

Imagine praising a youtuber, tagging people who you find worse (super petty to do so), and then the person you've praised calls you out for doing so.

my opinion when you publish something to the public you give them the right to criticise it, otherwise you can create your own videos and watch them yourself or share them with small social circle. I think people are getting too soft now days.

Do you give people the right to criticize it in any way they like? Do you give people the right to insult you and hate? It's not that people are too soft now, it's that people have had to tolerate shit for too long and are finally taking the opportunity to wrest back some control.

Where is the insult and hate? he simply said her content is better than the others. thats it. I do not see any one can criticise something in a softer manner than this. At this point maybe we should only allow compliments and fake compliments because society is willing to accept hypocrisy over an honest opinion.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:my opinion when you publish something to the public you give them the right to criticise it, otherwise you can create your own videos and watch them yourself or share them with small social circle. I think people are getting too soft now days.

Do you give people the right to criticize it in any way they like? Do you give people the right to insult you and hate? It's not that people are too soft now, it's that people have had to tolerate shit for too long and are finally taking the opportunity to wrest back some control.

Where is the insult and hate? he simply said her content is better than the others. thats it. I do not see any one can criticise something in a softer manner than this. At this point maybe we should only allow compliments and fake compliments because society is willing to accept hypocrisy over an honest opinion.

I was responding to your take on the situation, not the situation itself. All that happened is the individual who was being praised expressed that she was not comfortable being praised in a way that denigrated others. Besides, while there's an implied criticism when you say, "I love you're stuff. It's better than the stuff these other people make," the technical truth could be that the other stuff is also good, just not as good. On the other hand, if the implication is that the stuff the other people make is really bad, then the person being praised really just has to make content that's better than bad. So as a compliment it's not very effective, because it can actually be interpreted in ways counter to the presumed intent of the person making the compliment. And when you praise someone by drawing a comparison, you're diluting that praise. Good work should be praise-worthy on its own. So in summary, it was a shit compliment and the dude got what was appropriate.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:I was responding to your take on the situation, not the situation itself. All that happened is the individual who was being praised expressed that she was not comfortable being praised in a way that denigrated others. Besides, while there's an implied criticism when you say, "I love you're stuff. It's better than the stuff these other people make," the technical truth could be that the other stuff is also good, just not as good. On the other hand, if the implication is that the stuff the other people make is really bad, then the person being praised really just has to make content that's better than bad. So as a compliment it's not very effective, because it can actually be interpreted in ways counter to the presumed intent of the person making the compliment. And when you praise someone by drawing a comparison, you're diluting that praise. Good work should be praise-worthy on its own. So in summary, it was a shit compliment and the dude got what was appropriate.

you are correct about the method of praise and how it can be interpreted

"Good work should be praise-worthy on its own"

yes, and can be compared to others. This has been going forever including Oscar winning movies, why it got Oscar? because its better than the other movies released that year. History is filled with comparisons between better and worse subjective and objective .

"So in summary, it was a shit compliment and the dude got what was appropriate."

He spoke his mind, and so did she. Everyone respectfully said what he thought imo. He also gets a public reply since he made a public statement.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:He spoke his mind, and so did she. Everyone respectfully said what he thought imo. He also gets a public reply since he made a public statement.

So then why all the hyperbole about people being "too soft?"
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am speaking in general people no longer can take a criticism, they are even banning use of words that might carry any "non-positive" meaning. In this example she feels like he put other down just because he favoured her content over the others.

When someone talks and people attack his person, thats plain rude and bullying but when someone publishes something you should accept all forms of critisim -imo - of the work so long as its intelligent form of criticism. I have seen people roaming the internet mindlessly criticising "anything" without a valid argument... they are the equivalent of early teenagers running around throwing eggs at random people and making fun of them.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I wouldn't care if he just posted the names. I think you're just not getting past the point of how pathetic it is to tag these people. They got a notification on their phone of someone saying "this person's content is better than yours". It's literally just trying to get attention and then playing victim when the backlash came (and if you think people are "too soft" you didn't see the backlash lol).
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Any one noticed a lot of "out of stock" items in the past few years, I am not sure if this has always been the case but I am finding it harder to find specific items due to being out of stock. This is ironic to me since the manufacturer and distributors want to sell as much as possible so item should always available for purchase. Its pre-COVID thing but it probably got worse in COVID.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Covid has utterly fucked the world shipping pipeline.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.