Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

o.pwuaioc wrote: It's all a balancing act, for sure, and the difficulty is compounded by the fact that so many teens don't really know themselves to any great degree when they sign up for college.

This is something that always skips the minds of the adults. I remember when we finished high school , my colleagues and I, were like "What are we supposed to do now?" . We really didn't know which career path to choose, what to study, whats best for us financially, what would work best for us. You can't just pick up "Cardiology" and hope for the best because a lot of time and money will be wasted during the process if you were wrong about it. There were very few that had an exact aim and actually got to their goal. Some even after getting their degree and joining the workforce, some years later they decide to do something else for a living.

Society should have more awareness towards this and communicate it well with the confused younger ones.

PretentiousHipster wrote:There's also the fact that we are raised into thinking that going to university is a must, and we are dumbasses for going to 2 year colleges or the trades instead. Definitely have to fix the perspective of what makes a job "good"

For most people I observed, university is just school on steroids. Literally, many people including myself completed university and have no idea how to do any real life work. I'd pick a trained and experience blue collar worker over a fresh university graduate if I had a business to run. There are only specific fields you can get a degree for in university and leave knowing how to do real work which I am going to guess are STEM studies.

Although I have to say that university graduates as a whole tend to have more "professionalism" and ability to learn over people who are high-schoolers or high-school dropouts but I am only speaking generally.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am not sure how much life was different in the 80s, but Married with Children is heavy with sexual innuendos with two minors on the set. Actually, they take part in it!
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

RCBH928 wrote:I am not sure how much life was different in the 80s, but Married with Children is heavy with sexual innuendos with two minors on the set. Actually, they take part in it!

Married with Children was considered very racy and edgy at the time. It premiered on a newly-launched television network, Fox, and they distinguished themselves early on by saying and doing things that the three existing national television networks wouldn't.

Fox later really hit it big with The Simpsons, which was very controversial during the first few seasons.

That said, there were a lot of teen sex comedy films in the eighties.

Personally, I was never allowed to watch Married With Children when I was younger. I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons, either, until I saw an episode in secret, showed my dad, and he realized it was actually a brilliant satire of American culture.

To clarify, season one wasn't that great. Season two was better, but season three is where it really hit its stride and seasons three through eight are where most of the classic episodes come from.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Limewater wrote:Fox later really hit it big with The Simpsons, which was very controversial during the first few seasons.
I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons, either, until I saw an episode in secret, showed my dad, and he realized it was actually a brilliant satire of American culture.

To clarify, season one wasn't that great. Season two was better, but season three is where it really hit its stride and seasons three through eight are where most of the classic episodes come from.

That is when the creators finally came around to the realization Homer was secretly the main character of the show and not Bart.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Limewater wrote:Personally, I was never allowed to watch Married With Children when I was younger. I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons, either, until I saw an episode in secret, showed my dad, and he realized it was actually a brilliant satire of American culture.

I had a similar experience, though in my case it was begging my mom to let me see Simpsons (all my friends were and were talking about who shot Mr. Burns) and the first episode we put on was the Malibu Stacy episode. My mom was not a fan of a show that was so up front about talking about sexual harassment, but she let me keep watching.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

It was weird to watch an episode as an adult, and realize that Homer, rather than being just a dumb character is the sole provider for 3 kids and a wife, owns a house and has a stable, well-paying job in a nuke plant. Also I looked it up that day and found that I was older than Marge Simpson (she's 35).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Anapan wrote:It was weird to watch an episode as an adult, and realize that Homer, rather than being just a dumb character is the sole provider for 3 kids and a wife, owns a house and has a stable, well-paying job in a nuke plant.

That's the plot for "Homer's Enemy".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I loved it as a kid but I wonder how I would feel about the show on a rewatch. I just know that I thought King of the Hill looked super boring as a kid, and now it's a masterpiece.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

It's definitely the antithesis to The Simpsons, or at least mid-to-late-'90s Simpsons, not to mention a complete 180 from Mike Judge's other hit show Beavis and Butthead.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Limewater wrote:Married with Children was considered very racy and edgy at the time. It premiered on a newly-launched television network, Fox, and they distinguished themselves early on by saying and doing things that the three existing national television networks wouldn't.

Fox later really hit it big with The Simpsons, which was very controversial during the first few seasons.

Important note on that, they would play them back-to-back back in the day. I can't remember which one came first (I think Simpsons), but the other came on right afterward.

If you're talking about Simpsons and not Married with Children, I'm going to go against received wisdom and say that seasons 1-2 were vastly superior to everything that came afterward. All the "classic" episodes are actually 2nd rate buffoonery with Flanderization in full effect. The early ones where Homer truly has a heart of gold were best. As toxic as it might have been, the Groening-Simon relationship is unmatched.

Don't get me wrong, I still very much like much of the later seasons, but it's disheartening that they turned Homer from an idiot who wants to do the right thing (the very first Simpsons Christmas episode summarizes it best) to a malicious idiot who rarely cares about others.

To me, real characters, not their most extreme selves, make for the best comedy.

-----

After writing this, I had to look to see if anyone else felt similarly (it is the internet, after all!). I found this, and its defense of season 1 is definitely what I thought when I revisited it.

https://reelrundown.com/tv/The-Simpsons ... t-That-Bad

Bart is probably the most recognizable, being the rebellious brat. Homer is a dope, but he’s not the total buffoon he’d become.

Weirdly, Homer is far more principled in Season 1, sometimes ironically (like in "Bart the General"), but he frequently delivers morals (like in "Homer’s Night Out"). Also, Dan Castellaneta ping pongs between the Walter Matthau voice and the Homer we know and love.

People tend to remember Lisa being “female Bart” in Season 1. That isn’t entirely accurate as we see the bright, misunderstood Lisa in this season. Honestly, I like this Lisa. She's smart but not sanctimonious, and enough of a kid that she still enjoys being silly. For example, she joins Bart in heckling the opera. Granted, the show didn't need another Bart.

Although considered one of the classics of the season, “There’s No Disgrace Like Home” may be the biggest outlier. Not only does it have bratty Lisa, but Homer and Marge feel like they swap roles. Marge gets drunk at a party? And Homer sells the TV?!?!

The unusual behavior sells the characters. They don't fit into neat boxes anymore. They're not "the jokes write themselves" caricatures. They do thinks that don't always make sense with their "type", because that's real people for you! It felt much more wholesome, which is wild to think about, since it caused so much pearl clutching when it debuted!