Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

Limewater wrote:Married with Children was considered very racy and edgy at the time. It premiered on a newly-launched television network, Fox, and they distinguished themselves early on by saying and doing things that the three existing national television networks wouldn't.

That said, there were a lot of teen sex comedy films in the eighties.

To clarify, season one wasn't that great. Season two was better, but season three is where it really hit its stride and seasons three through eight are where most of the classic episodes come from.

-I imagined it would a family show given at least a 14 year old is on the set+the theme of the show itself.

-I thought "teen" sex comedy films were done by 21 year olds acting as if they are 16

-I think the Simpsons main problem was it was a cartoon with an adult theme to it which caused it controversy because at that time cartoons were supposed to be kids shows like Bionic Six. First season you mean the official one or the script that was aired in Ulman show?

o.pwuaioc wrote:If you're talking about Simpsons and not Married with Children, I'm going to go against received wisdom and say that seasons 1-2 were vastly superior to everything that came afterward. All the "classic" episodes are actually 2nd rate buffoonery with Flanderization in full effect. The early ones where Homer truly has a heart of gold were best. As toxic as it might have been, the Groening-Simon relationship is unmatched.

I really believe that no creative mind has the ability to push more than 5-6 seasons. After that they are just doing it for the money and usually shows do drop down in quality. Sometimes it works by continuing feeding people the same formula but it becomes stale and same-old-same-old. I was there when South Park was new and people were crazy about it. I doubt any of the original fans are still excited for the next episode of Sourth Park in 2023.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I never watched The Simpsons for the Simpsons themselves. I don't care to see them as fleshed-out or unpredictable "real" characters. I don't care about them "having a heart" or anything.

What I enjoy(ed) about The Simpsons is the commentary on American Culture. The characters are just a way to explore aspects of it. They wouldn't have had Shary Bobbins singing about cutting corners in the first season. They wouldn't have had the monorail episode in the first season. They wouldn't have had the Family Simpson Smile-Time Variety Hour in the first season.

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Season 5 Homer.

"If something is hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Season 3 Homer

"That's where I saw the leprechaun! He told me to burn things." - Season 9 Ralph Wiggum

"I don't have any opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything" - Season 17 Principal Skinner

From Season 8:
Bart Simpson:
I thought you came here looking for a challenge.

Lisa:
Duh! A challenge I could do!

I'll be honest-- I don't actually like Matt Groening. I've read some of his comics and I don't find them particularly insightful or witty. I also never found much humor in the original Tracey Ullman shorts. I think they show got better as Groening became less involved.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

@ RCBH928

I think what works for South Park is that it comes from a single (or two) sources for the most part. Also, they pull directly from social commentary a lot more than any show that I can think of. So in theory, there’s always fresh material they can work with. That’s just how I’m looking at it.

Also, and this just my opinion, they have the two best games every made for an animated series :lol:
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Married with children.....probably my favorite sitcom. Check the picture thread of me and my wife on halloween, that show was the shit back then, way ahead of the times, but doubt it could air in todays sensitive world.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I'm back to rewatching King of the Hill and The Golden Girls.

I also checked out that new Junji Into series (loved it), Velma (don't hate it) and last week watched what apparently turned out to be the series finale of the Gossip Girl reboot.

And I'm on the final season of Murder, She Wrote.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

REPO Man wrote:I'm back to rewatching King of the Hill and The Golden Girls.

I also checked out that new Junji Into series (loved it), Velma (don't hate it) and last week watched what apparently turned out to be the series finale of the Gossip Girl reboot.

And I'm on the final season of Murder, She Wrote.

Horror anime? interesting. Whats the title? Is it Maniac? Is it a different story each time like Black Mirror or a series with a story arch?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

stickem wrote:Married with children.....probably my favorite sitcom. Check the picture thread of me and my wife on halloween, that show was the shit back then, way ahead of the times, but doubt it could air in todays sensitive world.

Trivia: I actually got to married with children after I reversed searched your profile picture to figure out which show it is. Do not judge me.

Trivia #2: Given the name of the show and that it is an 80s sitcom, I was honestly expecting something similar to Full House. You can imagine the look on my face after I saw the first episode.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Yes, it was Maniac. Really hope we get a second season.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Previously released series Junji Ito Collection and an OVA: Gyo
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I knew others wouldn't agree, but I can't help feeling this way about it.

Limewater wrote:I never watched The Simpsons for the Simpsons themselves. I don't care to see them as fleshed-out or unpredictable "real" characters. I don't care about them "having a heart" or anything.

What I enjoy(ed) about The Simpsons is the commentary on American Culture. The characters are just a way to explore aspects of it. They wouldn't have had Shary Bobbins singing about cutting corners in the first season. They wouldn't have had the monorail episode in the first season. They wouldn't have had the Family Simpson Smile-Time Variety Hour in the first season.

Yeah, but you also don't get the terrible celebrity cameos or Principal and the Pauper.

And I still think Simpsons was better when it lampooned the family, instead of focusing on lampooning American society as a whole. There's still a lot of charm in seasons 3 and 4, just felt too smarmy and self-righteous at times. There's irony, of course, in the Simpsons growing into an American institution while making fun of American institutions. You don't see that smugness in seasons 1-2.