Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by stickem Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 pm

Any y'all watch the dark side of the ring series? I'm gonna guess yep lol. I don't watch much wrestling these days, but I've enjoyed the behind the scenes, and all the stories, tales, scandals, and the bios of some of my favorite wrestlers growing up. Hope it has another season, but they sure aren't holding any punches.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:33 am

stickem wrote:Any y'all watch the dark side of the ring series? I'm gonna guess yep lol. I don't watch much wrestling these days, but I've enjoyed the behind the scenes, and all the stories, tales, scandals, and the bios of some of my favorite wrestlers growing up. Hope it has another season, but they sure aren't holding any punches.

I know a lot of people love it, so you're not alone. I've avoided watching it personally because I assumed that it was a show that just focuses on dark and bad stuff and I just didn't want to watch something that was going to depress me or take away some of my enjoyment of pro wrestling.

The show has a lot of eyes on it though. I know this because after they aired a certain episode, suddenly everyone was distancing themselves from Ric Flair, including an insurance company he was doing commercials for. There were signs he was likely to make an appearance in AEW at some point, and it seemed like that possibility flew out the window after Dark Side of the Ring did that episode about him
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:29 pm

@Raging Justice

Wrestling companies should not be working together. Its like saying NBC is giving away their show on ABC. There is only 7 days a week and so much attention span and they are all competing on that to make money off the viewers, there is a reason its called Monday Night Wars. WWE became what it is by completely destroying their competition and its in their DNA how they took down the territorial feds back then.

Those other smaller companies have nothing to lose, they are already at bottom low viewership so working with each will only give more exposure to them going by the saying "Any publicity is good publicity" and that includes AEW which can benefit from from showing up in other organizations so whatever viewers they have can learn about thew new organization. WWE has nothing to gain from Roman Reigns showing up at Impact Wrestling or AEW Dynamite, and so will AEW in the future.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:06 pm

stickem wrote:Any y'all watch the dark side of the ring series? I'm gonna guess yep lol. I don't watch much wrestling these days, but I've enjoyed the behind the scenes, and all the stories, tales, scandals, and the bios of some of my favorite wrestlers growing up. Hope it has another season, but they sure aren't holding any punches.

I share your views, I do not care about in ring action but i like to follow the business side of things. I haven't heard of this one, maybe I should check out some of their episodes. I kind of do not trust wrestling documentaries after one of them I think it was Wrestling with Shadows or maybe another where I think they twisted the truth a lot to push a specific point of view.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:35 pm

RCBH928 wrote:@Raging Justice

Wrestling companies should not be working together. WWE became what it is by completely destroying their competition

RCBH928 wrote:
I share your views, I do not care about in ring action but i like to follow the business side of things.

I keep forgetting that you're not a real wrestling fan. It's just strange to be talking to someone like that in a pro wrestling thread.

You're an odd guy.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:35 pm

RCBH928 wrote:

I share your views, I do not care about in ring action but i like to follow the business side of things. I haven't heard of this one, maybe I should check out some of their episodes. I kind of do not trust wrestling documentaries after one of them I think it was Wrestling with Shadows or maybe another where I think they twisted the truth a lot to push a specific point of view.

It's well done. You'll hear good, bad, and unbiased stories, people calling out folks. really good stuff. comes on the vice channel, hulu whatever. I grew up watching Uswa, Awa, Nwa, and to hear what went on, the history, and all that bullshit is interesting to me. WWE had some bio's on A&E along with their "american pickers" type show WWE treasures. They were ok, but nowhere near as good as Dark Side of the Ring.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:11 pm

Nice.

I am a “lite” fan of the fake drama in the ring and the real drama outside the ring. My brother is a big fan of the latter, though, and he regularly listens to Jim Cornette’s podcast. Do any of you listen to that?
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:15 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Nice.

I am a “lite” fan of the fake drama in the ring and the real drama outside the ring. My brother is a big fan of the latter, though, and he regularly listens to Jim Cornette’s podcast. Do any of you listen to that?

seen a few of his episodes. he tells it like it is and ain't afraid who's listening lol. he has alot of insight commentary on the dark side wrestling series I mentioned above. guess he'd know, he's was around most of it. I like listening to him though.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:18 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Nice.

Cornette is a polarizing figure. He has a lot of fans, and a lot of haters. He bashes AEW a lot, or so I've heard. He also got fired from NWA for a racist remark about black people. I don't know if I would have fired him as I don't think he is legitimately racist, but it shows how controversial he is. I think Tony Kahn once said he was a fan though, which I thought was interesting.

I personally can't stand Cornette, for reasons beyond just pro wrestling (reasons you can't discuss on a forum like this), but I respect all of the experience he has in the wrestling business.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:57 pm

Raging Justice wrote:
I keep forgetting that you're not a real wrestling fan. It's just strange to be talking to someone like that in a pro wrestling thread.

You're an odd guy.

Not really, I bet most people involved in wrestling do not care about the in ring action and care more about the business side of things. I seriously do not think Hunter or any McMahon is excited to see what happens with Roman Reigns on the next episode of RAW. I bet the retired wrestlers themselves do not watch RAW every week, people like Shawn, Bret, Taker, and Dwayne Johnson.

When I was younger I was a huge wrestling fan, watched it thinking it was even more real than NFL or NBA but as I grew up and realised its fake the interested withered away.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever