The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

The ironic thing is that those women matches are more interesting and action filled than the men matches on WWE even the Wrestlemania ones. I never thought I would say I rather watch a women's match over a men's WWE PPV main event.

---------------

AEW roster reminds me TNA in about 2009 when the talent names were better than the WWE. Currently the only 2 guys I think worthwhile on WWE are Brock Lesnar and AJ Styles who should end his career soon because no near 50 year old guy can do a summersault off the top rope and land on his stomach.

@prfsl_gmr

How is it attending a wrestling show? is it better or worse than watching it behind the screen? especially when you are there the action is far away from you depending on your seatings.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

RCBH928 wrote:@prfsl_gmr

How is it attending a wrestling show? is it better or worse than watching it behind the screen? especially when you are there the action is far away from you depending on your seatings.

It’s different, but I like it better.

The primary downside, at least for me, is that you don’t get the commentary, which adds so much to a match. The legendary Jim Ross did the commentary for for the show I attended last weekend, and it would have been great if I could have heard what he was saying. The other downside, as you noted, is that you are further away from the ring, and you see the show from only one angle. (The TV screens in the arena help with this, though.)

One upside is that your view is less limited, and you get to see more than what a camera would show you during a televised event. This is less important during a singles match, but during a tag match (or a match with a ringside manager), there’s a lot going on all around the ring. You don’t get to see all of that on TV, and you see a lot more when you attend a live show. Moreover, there is a lot of back-and-forth with the audience you don’t get on TV either. The people running the show are consummate entertainers, and they do a lot to make sure the audience is having a good time (at a good show, at least). Finally, you get to be part of the audience during a show, chanting, booing heels, cheering faces, and talking to other fans. That makes the show a lot more interactive, and it is the best part of attending a live event, in my opinion. (Also, everything is much louder during a live show, and a TV can’t express how a crowd zones alive when a fan favorite enters the ring.)

I hope you get to go to a live show someday, RCBH. I think you’d really like it!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Double post for some reason!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I need to see a live show myself, sounds like you had a blast and you pointed out some live show perks that I never even considered. I'm sure RCBH would have fun at a live event too.

You mentioned Jim Ross. AEW's commentary situation is very cool. They have Jim Ross, who just recently returned to the booth after fighting cancer (and winning!). They also have Tony Schiavone. That's like having the voice of WWE and the voice of WCW all in the same place! They also have Excalibur, who seems to literally know everything about modern wrestling, and Tazz. Tazz is great at explaining the moves and how they affect somebody's opponent. He's also hilarious and has great chemistry with Excalibur. The two of them usually do commentary for the youtube shows (AEW Elevation and AEW Dark) and it's hard to get through a show without laughing at something those two end up saying. Tazz will even randomly start singing a wrestler's theme music. AEW also lets wrestlers do commentary, and Hall of Famers like Paul Wight (The Big Show) and Mark Henry will do commentary at times too.

There's also a funny story line revolving around Tony Schiavone and Britt Baker. They are "friends", though there are subtle hints that Schiavone might be attracted to her, and people in the AEW fan base often make jokes that something is going on between them, but it's one of those things that AEW is very coy about. What makes things even funnier is that Britt Baker's real life boyfriend Adam Cole joined the company a few months ago and their relationship has been openly acknowledged on the show and he often gets irritated with Schiavone being in the company and how much time Britt Baker spends with him, even though Britt often makes fun of Schiavone and treats him almost like he's a pet :lol:

This triangle is not something that AEW focuses on much on their shows. It's more of a background thing that is there for our amusement. It's always kind of interesting hearing Schiavone's commentary whenever Britt Baker has a match given the odd relationship they seem to have

Oh, and since we were talking about women's wrestling. Impact Wrestling had a pay per view this past weekend. They had their first ever women's Ultimate X match. It was pretty cool. This kind of match has been done many times with male wrestlers, but never with the women. If any of you are not familiar with an Ultimate X match, it's like a ladder match but you can't use ladders. They are ropes suspended above the ring and you have to climb on them to get to the X hanging over the ring. It's pretty wild seeing the ladies hanging off the ropes and trying to fight each other while suspended in mid air. They kind of have to rely of their feet since their hands are holding the ropes, but some of them will use their hands AND their legs to move across the ropes witch leaves them practically defenseless.

The PPV was decent, though nowhere near as great as the stuff AEW has been doing. There were some good matches though, and in addition to the first ever women's Ultimate X match, we saw the Ring of Honor title defended on an Impact show using Ring of Honor style rules. That was a really good match. Also, the Impact women's champion Mickie James was announced as a participant in WWE's next Royal Rumble. I found that shocking.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I haven’t watched wrestling regularly since the Attitude era, and in retrospect, it’s amazing how much great announcers like Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone really added to the shows. As you noted, RJ, having them both in the same promotion is amazing.

Also, you really should go to a live show. Saturday’s show was my actually my fifth live show, and it was one of the best. Just for fun, here’s my ranking:

1. Smackdown! (8/26/1999) - This was the premier episode of Smackdown, and my brother and I had great seats. Just an amazing show culminating with Triple H successfully defending the title against The Rock.
2. AEW Battle of the Belts (1/8/2022) - Stupendous show, as I noted earlier. The smaller venue meant that, even with our relatively inexpensive seats, we still had a great view. Also, the wrestling was top notch.
3. Random Independent Promotion Show (1997) - My brother and I went to a small, independent show in 1997. We had ringside seats, but since we were in a small gymnasium, so did everyone else! I don’t think we saw any wrestlers who would go on to fame, but The Rock ‘n Roll Express were featured in the main event. They were way past their prime when we saw them, but they were still pretty great. The small venue made all the difference.
4. WWF House Show (1997) - Solid house show. My brother and I had pretty good seats, and we got to see a lot of the WWF’s best talent at an inflection point for the promotion, including Stone Cold Steve Austin.
5. WWF House Show (2016) - Booooooring. My son and I got tickets from a family friend. We had good seats, but the wrestling was just OK. (Charlotte Flair’s match was the highlight.) My son, who was only five, got sleepy, and we left before the show was over.

@RJ, you may want to look for a small local promotion for your first show. My brother and I are going to try to see a PWX show next. They wrestle in and around Charlotte, and they’ve spent most of the pandemic wrestling out of a gymnastics studio just across the border in SC. I think it’ll be a lot of fun, and the tickets probably won’t set us back too much.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The WWF House Show (2016) sounds about right, I do not believe there are people tuning in every week to watch that disgusting boring RAW show they even have 2 shows, Smackdown! I am tired of the over the top cheesy acts that supposed to make us excited over old tactics. At least AEW is doing something different.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I haven’t watched wrestling regularly since the Attitude era, and in retrospect, it’s amazing how much great announcers like Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone really added to the shows. As you noted, RJ, having them both in the same promotion is amazing.

Also, you really should go to a live show. Saturday’s show was my actually my fifth live show, and it was one of the best. Just for fun, here’s my ranking:

1. Smackdown! (8/26/1999) - This was the premier episode of Smackdown, and my brother and I had great seats. Just an amazing show culminating with Triple H successfully defending the title against The Rock.
2. AEW Battle of the Belts (1/8/2022) - Stupendous show, as I noted earlier. The smaller venue meant that, even with our relatively inexpensive seats, we still had a great view. Also, the wrestling was top notch.
3. Random Independent Promotion Show (1997) - My brother and I went to a small, independent show in 1997. We had ringside seats, but since we were in a small gymnasium, so did everyone else! I don’t think we saw any wrestlers who would go on to fame, but The Rock ‘n Roll Express were featured in the main event. They were way past their prime when we saw them, but they were still pretty great. The small venue made all the difference.
4. WWF House Show (1997) - Solid house show. My brother and I had pretty good seats, and we got to see a lot of the WWF’s best talent at an inflection point for the promotion, including Stone Cold Steve Austin.
5. WWF House Show (2016) - Booooooring. My son and I got tickets from a family friend. We had good seats, but the wrestling was just OK. (Charlotte Flair’s match was the highlight.) My son, who was only five, got sleepy, and we left before the show was over.

@RJ, you may want to look for a small local promotion for your first show. My brother and I are going to try to see a PWX show next. They wrestle in and around Charlotte, and they’ve spent most of the pandemic wrestling out of a gymnastics studio just across the border in SC. I think it’ll be a lot of fun, and the tickets probably won’t set us back too much.

Kind of amazing that you've been to two "first ever" shows live, and for the two biggest wrestling companies too. Congrats!

Yeah, I have been thinking about checking out the local stuff around me
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So if anyone's interested, here's one of the most epic women's matches of 2021. I mentioned the rivalry between Utami Hayashishita and Syuri from Stardom before, this is the match that really got people talking and made people pay attention to this rivalry going forward. The video has English commentary by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWwwvcmMC04
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Anyone know any good, spoiler free websites or youtube channels? It annoys me when I go to a site and their front page is littered with spoilers from every wrestling show of the week, including ones I have not even had a chance to watch yet. It seems like literally every pro wrestling site and youtube channel on the internet is pretty much the same no matter who is running it or what they choose to call themselves (human beings really are like sheep/lemmings)
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I saw the W2014 game promotion incident that fired JR. I honestly feel its completely stupid. Yes it did not promote the game but I hardly see any problem enough to fire JR after all what he did for the WWE. If they wanted o keep things PG13 yeah maybe they went over the board but this is the same company that used to have wrestlers flash their bottoms to the tv camera. They literally had a striptease show in the ring IIRC.