Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by stickem Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:44 pm

Same here. Huge fan in the golden years up until the attitude days and kinda lost interest after the fall of wcw. Moved over to UFC where I've stayed.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 am

RCBH928 wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:
I keep forgetting that you're not a real wrestling fan. It's just strange to be talking to someone like that in a pro wrestling thread.

You're an odd guy.

Not really, I bet most people involved in wrestling do not care about the in ring action and care more about the business side of things. I seriously do not think Hunter or any McMahon is excited to see what happens with Roman Reigns on the next episode of RAW. I bet the retired wrestlers themselves do not watch RAW every week, people like Shawn, Bret, Taker, and Dwayne Johnson.

Well, no offense, but you always make sweeping generalizations just based on your opinions. I deal in facts. I research stuff. I know the retired people watch because I've seen the evidence. Mic Foley regularly talks about what is going on in WWE and sometimes AEW. Ric Flair posted something about AEW not that long ago. Booker T has a show where he usually talks about what's going on in WWE and AEW and sometimes other companies too.

Hunter appreciates in ring action, we know that just based on how he ran NXT before Vince and Nick Khan took it over. Plus, he was a wrestler himself and known as a student of the game. NXT regularly had some of the best matches and PPVs of the year when Hunter was running things there.

Vince is VERY interested in everything Roman Reigns does. It's well known to all wrestling fans that Reigns is the guy Vince cares about more than anyone and for a time wanted him to be the top guy in WWE like Cena used to be. I think that is still Vince's ultimate goal. Vince used to even script Roman Reigns' promos

But it's fine if you only care about the business side of things I guess. Personally, I consider that the most boring thing about wrestling. If I was a business minded guy I'd probably spend more time worrying about the Stock Market than the business side of wrestling. I like the matches, the story lines, and sometimes the behind the scenes stuff

stickem wrote:Same here. Huge fan in the golden years up until the attitude days and kinda lost interest after the fall of wcw. Moved over to UFC where I've stayed.

I have been thinking about getting into UFC myself. Sounds like they've had some big events recently. I heard there were some shocking losses at a recent PPV. There are a lot of pro wrestling fans who are UFC fans or people like yourself who left wrestling to watch UFC. Also, some UFC fighters are apparently wrestling fans and quite a few of them have transitioned over to wrestling like Ronda Rousey. A few wrestlers have gone into MMA too, some with disastrous results like CM Punk. AEW even did a UFC style fight on one of their shows because one of their guys has some MMA experience. A lot of MMA moves have bled into wrestling over the years, particularly in Japan where they were doing MMA style fights for a while. The point of all my rambling is that I have noticed that there's a lot of crossover between wrestling and UFC, and I've been wondering since I love wrestling if maybe I'd really enjoy UFC too.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:31 pm

probably so since you seem to like martial arts movies (kickboxer,bloodsport), wrestling type atmosphere. just got to know the fighters i guess. yeah not to many pro wrestlers have much luck. still one of my favorites, ol brock lesnar getting destroyed lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LdPUEaZ1M
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 pm

stickem wrote:probably so since you seem to like martial arts movies (kickboxer,bloodsport), wrestling type atmosphere. just got to know the fighters i guess. yeah not to many pro wrestlers have much luck. still one of my favorites, ol brock lesnar getting destroyed lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LdPUEaZ1M

Wow , cant imagine seeing Lesnar covering his face in pain! What a sad sight. That guy is a human monster, a body builder+MMA fighter that is as tough as a cement building.
----
This is a non wrestling question and I do not want to sound like a smart alec but...
A lot of times in MMA I see huge guys being knocked out by what seems like soft hits. In your video, I saw Lesnar taking that kick that might have broken his ribs (and I assumed that Lesnar can continue fighting after that?!) but by the end of it he seems to be just tapping Lesnar's forearms(https://youtu.be/u9LdPUEaZ1M?t=105) . I mean is that supposed to hurt Lesnar? and why is the refree is not ending it? Lesnar is obviously giving up. Then again Lesnar is almost 45 years old so age plays a role.

Another example, look at this one . Doesn't seem too bad? In comparison look at this Tyson punch where you can see the soul of his opponent slightly leave his body and then comes back in again. Now thats a knock out punch.

During my lifetime I saw average joes being beaten up by a number of guys even with metal made objects they still move and fight back and move around. I feel like I am missing something!?

Are the losers quitting early on because they know their opponent got them in a position that IF the fight continues they will be totally physically destroyed?
Last edited by RCBH928 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:05 pm

Raging Justice wrote:Well, no offense, but you always make sweeping generalizations just based on your opinions. I deal in facts. I research stuff. I know the retired people watch because I've seen the evidence. Mic Foley regularly talks about what is going on in WWE and sometimes AEW. Ric Flair posted something about AEW not that long ago. Booker T has a show where he usually talks about what's going on in WWE and AEW and sometimes other companies too..

None taken, I am not a softy and accept honest and logical criticism. But I did not say they do not watch wrestling, I said I basically doubt they tune each week for every RAW episode let alone be excited for the in ring action. Do not forget those guys have been living it for 10-30 years so they had enough of it already. I think they might see some every 2-3 weeks but not as dedicated as you are. The ones who do probably are the ones that still make a living off it like hosting a podcast or work for some wrestling organization.

I mean, are you really excited for a match like this ? I enjoy more the characters and storylines like when Steve Austin attacks Vince in the hospital :lol: or Mankind vs Undertaker. Some matches have cool action like the women one you posted but they are far and few in between because it takes a toll on the wrestlers, their motto in the business is "Leave the match as well as you were before it" , then again if you enjoy in ring actions shouldn't one watch UFC or boxing? because thats the real stuff right there.

Do you know when did the Austin-Vince feud start? I know it was after the screwjob just not exactly how it turned into an Austin vs Vince thing. I should do a follow on that never watched it in entirety.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 pm

@ RCBH928 The dude Lesnar fought is a K1/Glory kickboxing legend. when you get a knee or kick from him, you're getting knocked out. Also, that was 10 years ago, Brock was like 31. dude is 265 lbs, those fists at the end, some got through and are like bricks. But you're right. the kick and knee's ended it, his body is red. The strikes at the end are meaningful because unstopped, you're getting a KO from not protecting yourself. Anything can happen in MMA, same dude getting blasted a couple years ago by the reigning HW champion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmWdvd6jvA
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:39 pm

stickem wrote:@ RCBH928 The dude Lesnar fought is a K1/Glory kickboxing legend. when you get a knee or kick from him, you're getting knocked out. Also, that was 10 years ago, Brock was like 31. dude is 265 lbs, those fists at the end, some got through and are like bricks. But you're right. the kick and knee's ended it, his body is red. The strikes at the end are meaningful because unstopped, you're getting a KO from not protecting yourself. Anything can happen in MMA, same dude getting blasted a couple years ago by the reigning HW champion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmWdvd6jvA

Well, do not understand me wrong, I mean surely Alistair is a tough guy but I assume tough guy like Lesnar can take a punch or two from Alistair. In boxing they keep punching each other for 6 or 9 rounds, meanwhile in MMA/UFC it seems like whoever lands a hit on the other guy first is going to win. So its more of a tactical fight like fencing, its not about actually fighting and hurting each other but more like who can get to the other first. Am I wrong or right?
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:42 pm

So this actually happened, and I loved it. DMD revealed her new "sensei". I swear, AEW has more pop culture savvy than WWE in my opinion

RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:36 pm

Its not exactly that. When you build a product and want to sell it you can experiment with many ideas, but once you reach corporate state each decision has to make a "profit" sense and "social" sense. When decisions are made based on excel sheets and graphs, you get a boring product. You can't please everyone so you have to walk the boring middle road.

This is why WWF moved from Doink the Clown and 1-2-3 Kid to striptease shows and foul language. It was where the money is at that time period.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:52 pm

Raging Justice wrote:So this actually happened, and I loved it. DMD revealed her new "sensei". I swear, AEW has more pop culture savvy than WWE in my opinion

He was here last night for their show and must have snorted a few lines before from what friends that attended said. Didn't have a clue where he was at and just randomly shoutng and shit, looked all fucked up. Enjoying his 15 minutes I guess lol.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever