Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Post by racketboy »

Anapan wrote:I want user-submitted pictures on the racketboy.com main page. Rules will need to be made etc, but I just want to submit the same picture without the dithering.

I need to ask my web guy how to easily swap them out. I would like to add more....
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

racketboy wrote:I suppose I should make a way to access it in case you X it out.

And BTW, I was doing forum threads for new posts, a while back, but nobody seemed to care

Hmm, I don't even recall that ever being a thing. Do you think we could try doing that again?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:
racketboy wrote:I suppose I should make a way to access it in case you X it out.

And BTW, I was doing forum threads for new posts, a while back, but nobody seemed to care

Hmm, I don't even recall that ever being a thing. Do you think we could try doing that again?

Yeah I was posting them in the "Articles" category for a little while (sometimes I did forget)
viewforum.php?f=54

I could try to again
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

There's another forum I sometimes visit that has this thing were it'll auto email you a list of new threads. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but it's something along the lines of this: If a new thread gets X amount of replies, then it goes onto the list. About once a week (or perhaps whenever X amount of threads are gathered) it sends out an email. The email includes the thread title, the first few lines of the first post, and a link to the thread. It use to also include a picture (if one was attached to the first post) but doesn't seem to anymore.

This sort of thing is great. Not everyone visits the forum daily, and so they might miss a new thread that they would have been interested in. This is a great tool to help keep forum traffic/participation up.

Can this sort of thing be added to Racketboy?
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I think the biggest improvement that's needed is an overhaul of the BST thread so people can track rep easier.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:There's another forum I sometimes visit that has this thing were it'll auto email you a list of new threads. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but it's something along the lines of this: If a new thread gets X amount of replies, then it goes onto the list. About once a week (or perhaps whenever X amount of threads are gathered) it sends out an email. The email includes the thread title, the first few lines of the first post, and a link to the thread. It use to also include a picture (if one was attached to the first post) but doesn't seem to anymore.

This sort of thing is great. Not everyone visits the forum daily, and so they might miss a new thread that they would have been interested in. This is a great tool to help keep forum traffic/participation up.

Can this sort of thing be added to Racketboy?

Do you have any forum examples where this is implemented? I think the biggest thing is if a plugin like that is for phpbb.

SamuraiMegas wrote:I think the biggest improvement that's needed is an overhaul of the BST thread so people can track rep easier.

Is that something that would be done in the thread itself (no software upgrade needed?)
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

It could be done in thread but I think a Google spreadsheet would be a really cool thing to do.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

This isn't exactly a suggestion, but...

I just want to say Thank You to Racketboy.

With all that is going on right now, its nice to have a place that I can go to and turn everything off.

These forums have been my oasis the last couple of days and I really appreciate it.

So, Thank You Racketboy!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Markies wrote:This isn't exactly a suggestion, but...

I just want to say Thank You to Racketboy.

With all that is going on right now, its nice to have a place that I can go to and turn everything off.

These forums have been my oasis the last couple of days and I really appreciate it.

So, Thank You Racketboy!

It's my honor. I also feel like sometimes putting my head into working on content revisions or additions is one of my safe places as well to disconnect with other things going on.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I had a thought about how to quickly turn great forum user posts into web-site content. Here's the quick and dirty paste from Slack/Discord:

I wonder if there's a way to do a promoted posts kind of thing....
Like, when you visit the RB web site there could be a box for promoted posts where users could nominate forum posts that are particularly interesting or informative to be posted on the web site.
Or rather, the nomination happens in the forum interface and the posts that are selected would then appear on the web site under a Promoted Posts or User Highlights section.
That way when people write something awesome or informative it can get bumped up without Nick having to ask us to write up a whole article on a topic.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.