What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gucci
64-bit

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by Gucci »

Caffeine have a love/hate relationship: mainly that I love coffee but acid reflux hates it. It doesn’t always trigger it (at least I don’t always feel it), but as soon as I sense I’ve had enough coffee, I have no choice but to stay away for awhile.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

So I've been fooling around with that Android TV box I bought. Mostly I'm trying out various games and figuring out what would work the best, while keeping in mind its pitiful storage and inability to install apps on an external USB drive (which is attached via a 2-in-1 USB OTG cable). This is because I bought a second one for my brother, whose birthday was yesterday, and he said he was in the market for literally any kind of video game device.

I've found a bunch of games from the Play Store that work (Unkilled, Crossy Road) and a bunch that should but don't (Meltdown didn't exactly work with my controller). I've also sideloaded Retroarch, in lieu of the Play Store version, and it works like a dream. I've also sideloaded Sonic: Time Twisted (NVidia Shield version) and Sonic 3 AIR, and aside from S3AIR not having an icon on the home screen and having to manually move the needed S3K ROM (the game requires the Steam version) I've had no real issues yet. But like S3AIR, a few other apps don't show up on the home screen so I have to use a frontend called Nostalgia (my go-to back when I had an Ouya).

On the emulation front the Quake 1 core and a few of the Dreamcast titles I loaded up ran great, but the less I say about OpenLara the better. And using the Quake 2 core crashes Retroarch.

Oh, and it's also a bitchin' streaming device.

ETA Prime did a video on the device a week or so ago in case you're interested.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

If you need money now you could use handbrake on your non-essential DVDs, and then use VLC to stream directly to the android device when you wanna watch them/show them off, and sell those DVDs.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

My DVDs are considered non-essential if I either saw it and hated it (it happens) or I upgrade to the Blu-ray. In the case of the latter I typically donate them to my local library. Considering I've got all kinds of obscure shit they'd be fools not to put them on their shelves.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Seems like a bit of a snobbish attitude no? Obscure films from the perspective of the library might not fly because less people would get them, and they would collect dust on the shelves.

No worries, stuff like Clifford, The Mummy, and especially Freddy Got Fingered are better than half of the stuff on Criterion anyways. My beef with Criterion is not the distributor themselves, but the fact that it's being considered as a "seal of approval" for films. There's so many things people don't take into account like distribution rights, or oddly enough, films being too obscure for the collection, or too much of a hassle to restore the work. I don't give a shit about Criterion until they release a box set of Sohrab Shahid-Saless' work.

That being said, if you want some obscure shit I could probably give you hundreds. I've added stuff onto RYM, letterboxd, and even imdb. Hell, I might even make some download links for you if you have trouble finding them.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I personally prefer to own movies and films. With streaming services stuff can disappear like…

Plus if the internet goes out I'll still have my Targus case full of DVDs, excluding boutique releases (ie Criterion, Shout! Factory) and box sets, along with my big ass media shelf full of Blu-rays.

Of course I might keep a few offline downloads on my tablet when I'm traveling or a hurricane is coming.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

PretentiousHipster wrote:No worries, stuff like Clifford, The Mummy, and especially Freddy Got Fingered are better than half of the stuff on Criterion anyways.

Freddy Got Fingered is not better than anything.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

PretentiousHipster wrote:No worries, stuff like Clifford, The Mummy, and especially Freddy Got Fingered are better than half of the stuff on Criterion anyways.

You know Criterion has all the old-school Godzilla films, right?
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

REPO Man wrote:You know Criterion has all the old-school Godzilla films, right?

At least the Godzilla films have a camp factor to them. If we wanna talk about bad Criterion films there's that Olympics box set.

MrPopo wrote:Freddy Got Fingered is not better than anything.

I see it as a postmodern surreal comedy that borders on being dada. It reminds me of Bunuel's work. Takes the tropes of the sex/gross comedy genre of the time and ramps it up to such a level that it not only satirizes then, but somehow becomes funny in the process.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

PretentiousHipster wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Freddy Got Fingered is not better than anything.

I see it as a postmodern surreal comedy that borders on being dada. It reminds me of Bunuel's work. Takes the tropes of the sex/gross comedy genre of the time and ramps it up to such a level that it not only satirizes then, but somehow becomes funny in the process.

It is none of those things. It is Tom Green desperately trying to stay relevant and in the process becoming completely irrelevant.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.