Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:13 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Nemoide wrote:I almost exclusively stick with index funds for investing. It's not sexy, but I feel like it's secure in the long term. I've been doing it for about a decade so even though things are down, I've still averaged a considerable return!

That's the smart way to go. You won't hit the highest highs, but you also won't hit the lowest lows.

Yep. That’s actual investing, not gambling. Because there is some risk associated with investing, people tend to confuse the two when, really, they aren’t the same thing at all.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:47 am

I challenge anyone to watch this and not smile as many times as I did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Mw8r5gW8E
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:12 am

:cry: The 128GB microSD card I used with my onn.-brand tablet crapped out. Literally nothing could fix it, not even a factory reset.

:) Thankfully I had a spare 200GB card, so now I have more space.

:evil: For all the apps I need to redownload!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:14 am

:?: After factoring in shipping (via FedEx), is $171.61 a good price for a dozen rectangular milk crates with exterior measurements of 18.75x13x11" and interior measurements of 18.25x12x10.75"? I'm thinking of buying them from this site and arranging them in four rows of three, each one laid longways. And before you ask, for a bookshelf.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:26 am

I feel like milk crates won't make for a good bookshelf. Are you planning on just stacking them up on their sides? Because I'd be afraid of them toppling over and causing damage/injury - you'd be putting quite a lot of weight on the sides of those bottom crates. I feel like you'd be better off going to a Big Lots and buying some cheapo bookshelf there. They work well enough and will save you a good $130.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:46 am

Would it help that these aren't the cheap-ass ones sold on Amazon? Plus I'm kind of banking on being able to assemble this in a way where I could disassemble it without removing the books so if I needed to pack everything up I'd just need to cut the zip ties or unscrew whatever's holding them in one place (carefully, obviously) and then just stuff the spaces with bubble wrap (I'd probably put some kind of foam towards the back before putting the books in) and wrap each crate in bubble wrap and plastic. Naturally a major problem comes from the scenario where I don't have a U-Haul and have to ship each crate.

I was going to put it against the wall that separates the left side of my bed and the bathroom, but this shelf would be longer that the wall it'd be against and there'd be a roughly 1" gap in the back. Plus the wall is just a sheet of plywood so I'd have to find some other way of making sure it can't tip over.

As for milk crate bookshelves:

This looks to be the closest to what I'm trying to make, except with mine I'd have it as one unit, not two.

Would putting the heavy stuff on the bottom shelves mitigate the issue of putting too much weight on the top of the bottom shelves? Would putting something between each row to absorb a lot of the shock?
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:40 am

REPO Man wrote:As for milk crate bookshelves:

My god.

Those could get you excommunicated from the gay community, though I suppose it's good to shatter stereotypes.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:14 am

Golgo 14 wrote:
REPO Man wrote:As for milk crate bookshelves:

My god.

Those could get you excommunicated from the gay community, though I suppose it's good to shatter stereotypes.

Well, I am known for not being very fashion forward. God knows where I live there's no real point and God knows I'd love to develop a sense of fashion beyond just my usual college-age geek chic inspired no-effort aesthetic.

But would it help if I got them in blue? While my current surroundings don't confirm it I'm quite fond of blue fixtures.

Also would milk crates work for Blu-rays and DVDs? Cuz my media shelf filled up rather quickly once I started putting all my Blu-Rays on it. Aside from my Friday the 13th and Puppet Masters Blu-Ray box sets, I've got 13 standard Blu-Rays and two Blu-Ray sets (Armored Trooper Votoms and Kamen Rider Zero-One) that I don't have space for on said shelf. I could do them tall ways and get two sets of shelves out of each crate if I go with the rectangular crates. My current media shelf is roughly the equivalent of three of them stacked long ways upward (which would be 54.75" tall), but my media shelf only 5.75" deep whereas a milk crate is 5" deeper.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:57 am

Won't Kallax shelves be the same price, and although Ikea furniture is suspect, still better than milk crates?
opa
128-bit

by opa Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:20 am

Those crates in that photo look really unsafe stacked like that.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever