So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:I'm glad someone is enjoying it (I certainly didn't), but just so you know, I believe they cancelled it. There's a petition out there to try and bring it back though if you want to sign it

Yes, it has indeed been cancelled, but what I've read suggests the episodes out there now do wrap up in a manner that doesn't feel like folks are left hanging out to dry. I'm hoping that proves true.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

marurun wrote:Yes, it has indeed been cancelled, but what I've read suggests the episodes out there now do wrap up in a manner that doesn't feel like folks are left hanging out to dry. I'm hoping that proves true.

People are correct. The first season tells a complete story and has a reasonably satisfying conclusion. I would have liked to have seen more, but it stands alone just fine.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Limewater wrote:
marurun wrote:Yes, it has indeed been cancelled, but what I've read suggests the episodes out there now do wrap up in a manner that doesn't feel like folks are left hanging out to dry. I'm hoping that proves true.

People are correct. The first season tells a complete story and has a reasonably satisfying conclusion. I would have liked to have seen more, but it stands alone just fine.

Thanks for that confirmation. I've been trepidatious and taking my time with the series due to all the negative comments, but 2 episodes in I still don't fully understand why the series has taken such negative heat.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I just watched the season finale of the latest season of The Expanse. This took me by surprise as I didn't expect the season to end after so few episodes. I thought the finale was excellent as The Expanse usually is. However, this is supposedly the show's finale season, yet it did leave a few loose ends. I find it hard to believe this is the end of the story. It's a satisfying conclusion, but it doesn't address every thing and I wouldn't have believed this was the last episode had I not read online sources stating that is. I wonder if the show will return as some kind of movie, or could it be that they are caught up to the books and can't put out anything new until more books are released? They probably don't want to make the same disastrous mistake that Game of Thrones made

Anyway, The Expanse as a series is excellent. You can debate whether or not it's better than the Battlestar Galactica reboot but it is certainly in that league and a worthy spiritual successor to that show. I'm not saying it was intended to be, but it just reminds me of BG in so many ways and arguably surpasses it in some. I know others besides myself have made the comparison as well. I'm so glad it got picked up by Amazon after being cancelled on television. I love the many avenues one can take these days to keep a series alive. Two of the best sci fi series ever this and BG and I will miss them both. I have heard the Expanse is getting a Tell tail style game coming out though featuring one of its coolest characters, so I can look forward to that.

corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Just finished up the third season of Yellowstone. Fantastic show and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

We just finished the second season of Alex Rider, and it is so, so, so good. Easily the most underrated show on TV today. It’s available for streaming on IMDB TV (a/k/a Amazon Prime Video but with ads), and I can’t recommend it highly enough. Watch it! I want a third season!
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Does The Expanse get substantially better over time? I watched its first season a couple months ago and wasn't blown away. I was surprised because I was expecting more from a streaming show that I'd heard good things about. Later I found out that it started on Syfy, and that made a lot of sense to me lol. It seemed like the kind of thing they'd show that I'd flip past, though obviously they spent some real money on the effects.

I thought the woman playing the UN official was great, and I'd watch a whole series centered on her. But the ships and the space ghettos that all share that pervasive blue tint? Eh, not for me.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

If anyone's interested, and I probably already mentioned this, but the YouTube channel CryptTube, a fan-run Tales from the Crypt channel, regularly uploads awesome-looking 4K upscales of Tales from the Crypt episodes. Some time ago, they uploaded "The Trap", the third episode of the third season. In it, a life insurance scam goes awry.

The channel also has been uploading similar 4K upscales of the Saturday morning cartoon series Tales from the Cryptkeeper. And just a bit ago uploaded not one episode, but two.

And as I may or may not have said, the first episode was released as a 1080p upload in its native 4:3 aspect ration and for some reason a separate 4K upload that's either cropped or stretched to 16:9.
JungleHeart
8-bit

Post by JungleHeart »

Cobra Kai and I'm loving season 4 a lot. Any Cobra Kain fans here?

Huge fan of Attack on Titan, and I've yet to see season 4. Just waiting for Netflix to finish releasing everything so I can watch them all in one go.
"Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning."
—Suikoden I
--
Currently works as a freelance writer
https://blog.playerauctions.com
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

JungleHeart wrote:Cobra Kai and I'm loving season 4 a lot. Any Cobra Kain fans here?

Huge fan of Attack on Titan, and I've yet to see season 4. Just waiting for Netflix to finish releasing everything so I can watch them all in one go.

Cobra Kai season 4 put some other recently returning shows (like the Witcher and Bobba Fett) to shame.

I think Cobra Kai and The Expanse are two of the best shows you can watch right now. Though sadly, The Expanse is done...for now at least. I love watching The Expanse when I want some serious drama and Cobra Kai when I just want fun. I actually found a hilarious video on youtube recently. It's a fanmade anime style intro for Cobra Kai and it's pretty damn good. Interestingly, it seems Netflix did something similar not long after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlcUuxkX89o