So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by Ack »

RCBH928 wrote:
One of the episodes had a presumption that a computer built into the building electric system built its own AI and now can control the buildings and kill people. Maybe in 1993 computers were a mystery and its scary to think a computer can turn evil with its own mind, but in 2023 that plain silly to me

If I recall correctly, this is the season 1 episode "Ghost in the Machine".
If so, it's generally regarded as the worst episode of the first season and one of the worst in the series.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I've been watching a bit of The Golden Girls, Rocko's Modern Life, King of the Hill, The Simpsons and Murder, She Wrote.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ack wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:
One of the episodes had a presumption that a computer built into the building electric system built its own AI and now can control the buildings and kill people. Maybe in 1993 computers were a mystery and its scary to think a computer can turn evil with its own mind, but in 2023 that plain silly to me

If I recall correctly, this is the season 1 episode "Ghost in the Machine".
If so, it's generally regarded as the worst episode of the first season and one of the worst in the series.

You are really smart and knowledgable when it comes to TV and film. Indeed you are correct and I am glad I do not feel like an outcast. Also glad that people at the time shared my opinion. But I can see how the writer thought this could be a good idea

REPO Man wrote:I've been watching a bit of The Golden Girls, Rocko's Modern Life, King of the Hill, The Simpsons and Murder, She Wrote.

There is something interesting about Nickelodeon's cartoon's from that era, they are made for children but they are just as enjoyable for adults. They kind of also have a similar theme/vibe to them as if they are created by the some core people. Albeit SpongeBob is a bit controversial imo. It kind of have adult themed stories in a silly children cartoons. In one episode Krabs bet SpongeBob (his employee) on a gambling cards game to work for Planktin.

Not sure if kids should be watching this, I am not even sure which age group this is aimed for.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I actually don't mind Ghost in the Machine. It's perfectly cheesy in the monster-of-the-week kind of way. I guess they were taking some inspiration from the HAL 9000? That's not to say I hold it in the same regard as some of the better episodes. There's just a certain level of cheese that's charming to me. Although it's been a while since I've watch it.

But yeah, this wasn't exactly a new concept in 1993. There was the HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Skynet from Terminator (just what I think are the two most well known examples). And if anything, AI becoming self aware and becoming a threat to humanity is more of a scary thought now than it was in 1993. At least then it was clearly science fiction.

If you're looking for something along the same vibe as X-Files but with a more modern feel, let me suggest Fringe. This show premiered in 2008, was co-created by JJ Abrams, and had a great cast. The main trio of characters are excellent. Similarly to the X-Files, Fringe has some episodes that are more monster-of-the-week format and some that push the series' overall story arc. IIRC, as the series went on more episodes advanced the story arc rather than one-offs. Early in the series, it's very unclear what's going on, and the element of mystery is perfect. After you start to find out what's going on, I'll just say that in my opinion it's excellent science fiction. Some people complain that the show fell off in the later seasons, but I liked it all the way to the end. It's only 5 seasons, so not too bad to binge through.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Enjoying the X-Files discussion, as I've been meaning to check out more of the show. I watched episodes here and there with my neighbor back when it was airing on TV, as he was a fan of the series and more recently I started to watch season one on streaming. Also, great tip about using an episode guide. I came across one on Den of Geek, but if anyone has a recommended guide, I'd appreciate it!

Just finished rewatching The Wire. I watched the show back in the early 2000s when it was airing but my partner had never watched it, so we binged through all five season relatively quickly. She was hesitant about giving it a shot but ended up a huge fan.

Now we're watching Ted Lasso season three, which has been a fun, light hearted watch so far.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:If you're looking for something along the same vibe as X-Files but with a more modern feel, let me suggest Fringe. This show premiered in 2008, was co-created by JJ Abrams, and had a great cast. The main trio of characters are excellent. Similarly to the X-Files, Fringe has some episodes that are more monster-of-the-week format and some that push the series' overall story arc. IIRC, as the series went on more episodes advanced the story arc rather than one-offs. Early in the series, it's very unclear what's going on, and the element of mystery is perfect. After you start to find out what's going on, I'll just say that in my opinion it's excellent science fiction. Some people complain that the show fell off in the later seasons, but I liked it all the way to the end. It's only 5 seasons, so not too bad to binge through.

I saw a couple of episodes of Fringe, but what I noticed is that they have the comic effect and cheesiness to make things sound like they are greater or more exciting than they are. Its just too silly for me, like House where each episode the doctor by super powers he figures out a great new cure.

I like a more "dry" and serious show which is why X-Files is more appealing to me but I might give Fringe a chance we will see how it goes
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

There are lots of things in Fringe that make me laugh out loud, but I wouldn't call it silly. The plot is taken seriously. It's not like Scrubs, for example, where there's slapstick mixed in with some serious stuff. If you enjoy science fiction, Fringe is awesome in that department. It's the same level of seriousness that X-Files has. Scully and Mulder definitely have lots of lines that are there only for a laugh.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Started the new season of Human Resources back on Wednesday. So far it's just more of the same. Granted I've only watched the first four episodes, but if they're an indication of what the remaining six have to offer then maybe they should just focus entirely on Big Mouth.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Ziggy587 wrote:There are lots of things in Fringe that make me laugh out loud, but I wouldn't call it silly. The plot is taken seriously. It's not like Scrubs, for example, where there's slapstick mixed in with some serious stuff. If you enjoy science fiction, Fringe is awesome in that department. It's the same level of seriousness that X-Files has. Scully and Mulder definitely have lots of lines that are there only for a laugh.

I loved Fringe, and was more invested in it than I was X-Files. Though that was also a great show in its own right, I didn't stick with it until the end. Fringe had one of the best series finales I've ever seen, outdoing the finales of other sci fi classics like Lost and Battlestar Galactica (the rebooted one).

The show feels even more relevant now given the recent passing of Lance Reddick, who was such an important character on that show
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

That "Ghost in the Machine" episode you guys were talking about... It's not the same one where a hacker built a VR room in an inconspicuous shack in the desert, shot agent Mulder full of drugs and convinced him virtually that he had his arm cut off? Which episode was that?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage