Re: What are you listening to at the present? (genres helpfu

by PretentiousHipster Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:35 pm

The hip hop scene in Uganda is insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSGQ58pd6Lo
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:41 pm

Recent releases from Starset, Gemini Syndrome, and From Ashes to New (three volume EP for the last one).
super nice they all released new stuff within a couple of weeks from each other.

I think the genre is either Rock, Metal, Nu-Metal (for the last one). Genres have always been difficult to pin down for me when a guitar is one of the instruments used.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Drag performer Alaska Thunderfuck recently put out a video for her newest single wow, which seems to remind me of early '00s pop-punk, which draws favorable comparisons to Green Day and Simple Plan. And given the more '00s rock vibes and Alaska out of drag, it's such a complete 180 from the vibrant pop vibes of Alaska' third-most recent track Red.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:40 pm

the 2nd MF DOOM/Czarface album. wish it was longer but I'm loving what's here. DOOMS verse in" DOOM unto others" is just straight up nasty and Esosteric and Inpectah Deck bring it as well. Nice to hear Del the Funky Homosapien (in my top 10) on "Jason and the Czargonauts", even though the boom bap style doesn't really go with his flow. Love all the Czarface Albums.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:39 pm

Today I learned that there's a musical based on Goosebumps, more specifically the Goosebumps book "Phantom of the Auditorium".
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:37 am

Eskimo Callboy

I'm not sure how to categorize these guys. I'm better with video game genres than musical ones, but the music is catchy with a variety of elements at play. I'm sure some music fans will find this too fun and accessible, but I dig it. It's not just the music I enjoy though. It's hard to talk about these guys without mentioning the music videos, which are some of the most entertaining ones I've ever seen. There is a reason why youtube is full of reaction videos to their stuff. I feel like great music videos are something you don't see much these days. They have some fun collaboration videos with other artists too. Check out these links if you wanna smile and have fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFr2LjZrts4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Mw8r5gW8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnzkhQsmSag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OChI5fsBqtU
Ack

by Ack Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am

I've seen them referred to as "Electrocore" for their more recent releases since they changed singers. Their older work is Deathcore.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:42 am

RYM tagged it as Trancecore. Music's not for me but I'm having plenty of online friends appreciate their videos.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:21 pm

Microgenres are out of hand.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:04 pm

Watched a video that YouTuber PushingUpRoses did about the game Sanitarium and that's where I first heard "Insanity" by Oingo Boingo and I've been listening to it on repeat, sometimes breaking up the monotony with cover versions of "In the Air Tonight", "Danger Zone" and "Total Eclipse of the Heart", all three by The Protomen.

And speaking of "Total Eclipse of the Heart", I found an excellent live cover by Jeremy Jordan he did at a Jim Steinman tribute in NYC. He also did an excellent cover of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and appeared at MCC Theater's Miscast events over the years, doing "Don't Rain on My Parade" from Funny Girl, "She Used to Be Mine" from Waitress, "Let it Go" from Frozen and he was part of an all-male version of "Cell Block Tango" from Chicago with Ben Platt, Leslie Odom Jr, Joshua Henry, and Christopher Fitzgerald.

The MCC Miscast Gala has given the world so many excellent versions of famous Broadway songs, such as Kelli O'Hara's rendition of Godspell's "Beautiful City", Norbert Leo Butz's stirring performance of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar, Ben Platt and Uzo Aduba doing Sweeney Todd's "A Little Priest" (literally a bouncy song about cannibalism) and "Take Me or Leave Me" from RENT, as done by Aaron Tveit and Gavin Creel.

Also a handful of '80s metal songs pop up in my rock mixes on YouTube, including "15 and Life" by Skid Row, "Dream Warriors" by Dokken and "Poison" by Alice Cooper.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever