Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Ack Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:15 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Watched Tobe Hooper's Mortuary. I really don't understand why it's such a despised film. It's like a self-aware throwback to the type of stuff you'd see on Vinegar Syndrome. The last attempt of comedy I've seen by him was fucking garbage (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2), but the humour here is definitely a lot better. Add some of the worst CGI and very odd casting choices and you've got a hilarious gem.

For a moment I got confused and thought you were talking about the 1983 film Mortuary starring Bill Paxton that is just boring. I was thinking, "Tobe Hooper didn't direct that." But ah, no, you were talking about the 2005 film. Unfortunately I haven't seen it, so I can't judge, but it's probably still better than 1983 Mortuary.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:00 pm

Rewatched Scary Movie 2 tonight. I haven't see this in nearly 20 years.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:38 pm

John Wick 4

I've seen some great action movies in my life. This one is up there as one of the best I've seen along with The Raid 2, Mad Max Fury Road, and some classics from Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen (who has a starring role in this movie), and other martial arts legends. The John Wick movies have become iconic and one of the standard bearers for action films now and this one doesn't disappoint. Honestly, this one could end up in my top 5, but I'll need to watch it again to make up my mind. There's so much action I almost felt exhausted. Plus, some of the set pieces are so creative and imaginative. I'm happy to say that the best parts of the action were NOT shown in the trailers.

Also, the movie doesn't skimp on story, balancing it with the action quite well. In fact, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has not watched the first three movies. The story just doesn't work if you're coming in cold. Plus, there's a lot of big payoffs and call backs for people who have seen the previous movies. These movies are very much a story told in four chapters. Again, I commend the movie for not giving too much away in the trailers. The biggest moments in the story are not revealed in the trailers. The performances are great. Scott Adkins in particular really impressed me, and the big name actors in this movie are as good as you'd expect, and hey, shot out to that awesome dog :lol:

On a more serious note, this may be the last time we see Lance Reddick onscreen given that he recently passed away R.I.P.

I give this movie a 9.5 out of 10, and I think John Wick may actually be the defining role of Keanu Reeve's career...and that's really saying something.

Also, one shouldn't have to say this in 2023, but for those who still don't know you should always stick around until the credits are over when seeing modern movies. Hint, hint.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:47 pm

Raging Justice wrote:Scott Adkins in particular really impressed me

If you haven't seen it, I recommend Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:56 pm

Watched the Tetris movie on Apple TV Saturday night with my partner and we really enjoyed it! Definitely a fun and entertaining watch and highly recommended. Has anyone else checked it out?

Earlier today, I also watched the Gaming Historian documentary about Tetris, which was really informative and includes some figures and instances that aren't covered in the movie.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:54 pm

Note wrote:Watched the Tetris movie on Apple TV Saturday night with my partner and we really enjoyed it! Definitely a fun and entertaining watch and highly recommended. Has anyone else checked it out?

I thought it was okay, but the last 30 minutes or so were pretty ridiculous. I don't expect movies like that to be historically accurate, but they really shattered any suspension of disbelief. And the last ten minutes were a cut and paste of Argo.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:44 pm

Just finished Scary Movie 3.

I actually saw this in theaters and even still that funeral scene gets me laughing my goddamn ass off!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:35 pm

Watched M3gan a little while ago. It was pretty good.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:09 pm

The Super Mario Bros movie

So I'll just get the negative out of the way first...

Peach...ugh. This movie goes so overboard in making her a badass. It doesn't feel true to the character from the games at all and the movie teeters dangerously at times into becoming The Super Peach Movie. I'm getting a little tired of the super woman trend in Hollywood these days. She outshines Mario...and other characters in the movie at nearly every opportunity. Fortunately, the movie does eventually remember who it's actual heroes are supposed to be in the end...The Mario Bros

The movie looks gorgeous. It has tons of visually impressive and exciting action set pieces, and beautiful animation. The settings are bright, magical, and colorful as one would expect from this franchise. There's tons of fan service everywhere for fans of the Mario games, even a reference to the Mario Bros Super Show with Captain Lou Albano for those of us old enough to remember that. Much of the soundtrack is also cinematic remixes of music from the games.

I gotta mention the set pieces again, because there are moments in the movie that are like watching a Mario video game, even some with the camera angle fixed in a position that shows the action from the perspective of an old school 2d video game.

It's a fun, funny movie...at least it is whenever Peach isn't hogging the spotlight. Brotherhood is the strongest aspect of the story and ties everything together.

It's nice to see video game movies are getting good, and it's fitting for two of gaming's biggest mascots (Mario and Sonic) to be leading the way
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:38 pm

Definitely worth a watch. I can see why Bloody Disgusting called it "a welcome addition to this new wave of modern slashers".

One thing that changes things up is that here, the girls...

are actually counting on finding and killing the film's antagonist Russ Thorne, who back in '93 killer a group of young girls, with the protagonist's mother being the sole survivor.

Also doesn't hurt that the five guys staying in the cabin across the lake got me like dayum! Especially the guy playing Matt.
Last edited by REPO Man on Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever