Cell phone thoughts/advice

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Cell phone thoughts/advice

Post by marurun »

It’s funny because Apple has slowly been killing off the tether to iTunes. On Mac it has been split into multiple narrow-purpose apps instead of a monolith. It is still a monolith on Windows, but you need it for almost nothing. iOS can now do everything within the OS apps.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

marurun wrote:It’s funny because Apple has slowly been killing off the tether to iTunes. On Mac it has been split into multiple narrow-purpose apps instead of a monolith. It is still a monolith on Windows, but you need it for almost nothing. iOS can now do everything within the OS apps.

I also worked in a computer repair shop from 2010 to 2012. We were a certified Mac repair shop, in a college town, right as Apple was getting cool again. My last day I vowed to never touch another Mac... or printer :lol:

Mrs Jago has an iPhone, as do clients at work. Only time I remotely come close is to say our apps are supported on iOS 8).... on home tech support unfortunately.

I can operate a Mac or iPhone just fine... just not intuitive to me... and I have always been into side load, mod, tinker scene which Android is more conducive to. Had a ton of fun with this recently

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Thanks for the comments so far! I will definitely look into Samsung and other brands. I've not really given the Google Pixel devices a look (I have heard they're pricey) but it won't hurt to look into them.

marurun wrote:Like you've been using a phone for like 6 years. Try doing that with ANY Android phone.

Well I can't speak to using an android phone for years (thus why I'm asking for thoughts/opinions), but my time with an iphone hasn't been smooth sailing the entire time. Granted, my phone is an older device - no getting around that - however, some updates straight up crippled the performance until maybe weeks after the fact they put out a new version that fixed things. Additionally, it seems that every update that caters to some feature on the newest device (touch-to-unlock on the home button for example) does not carry over to my digital button press (yes, I'm still mad they took away swipe to unlock. lol). As the years went on I began to dread the updates because I would ask myself "what's gonna screw up this time?"

I agree that build-quailty-wise iphones are sound devices (my phone has stood up to quite a bit of abuse) and if you upgraded your phone every two or three years I believe that the experience would be more in-line with Apple's throwaway philosophy with tech. I just want a phone that works and does the basic computing I need.
I am not the ideal Apple consumer. :lol:

iTunes blows. Everything about it is wrong and they should feel bad for presenting it to the world. I should just be able to copy-paste content (specifically music) easily over USB. I eventually discovered the mobile version of VLC for iOS and I haven't looked back.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I figured I would post an update to this thread.

I wound up getting a budget Samsung Galaxy (around $80 total). Does pretty much everything I need. No real internal storage but I popped in a microSD card so I'm good for all my music/apps. The camera isn't great but I don't take photos.
I do enjoy the operating system a lot more. It feels more intuitive and more "computer-like" I guess you could say. With an iphone I always had to look up how to do certain functions because everything was buried in the setting's sub-menus (maybe that's improved since I've used iOS but I'm not going back).

I could have sprung for a nicer model with a better camera and whatnot but I've been pretty happy with my device so far. Plus I can drop it and not worry about it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

samsonlonghair wrote:
marurun wrote:I also have a number of issues with Apple's ecosystem, and yet, every time I mess with an Android device I'm glad I have an iPhone in my pocket and not an Android phone. If you can afford it, Apple's devices do have benefits. Like you've been using a phone for like 6 years. Try doing that with ANY Android phone.

My thoughts exactly. No android phone is going to have six years of support.

I still have my S7, which came out six years ago, and it's still perfectly serviceable, and in my opinion whips the iPhone 6s. Comparison sites agree.

I updated to an S10e anyway because I wanted to, not because I had to. And I'm the exact opposite of marurun. Every time I try an iPhone, I want to throw it away. Samsung's way of doing things is so much more intuitive for me. Of course, what it really is, I'm sure, is that we get used to a certain way of using a phone.

I guess Apple users love getting used to doing the wrong way.