Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Nemoide Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:19 pm

In response to Marurun's point, I'm under the impression that Twilight has gone through a critical reevaluation in recent years. While it may not be profound literature, I've read a lot of folks online say that they regret being too hard on Twilight. At the end of the day, it's a romantic fantasy and doesn't necessarily need to model a realistic healthy relationship. I'm basing this largely on my social media bubble and Lindsay Ellis making a video on the subject. And I'm under the impression that the Adam Ellis comic is more a parody of the deluge of wannabe titles that were trying to crimp the style of things like Twilight or Hunger Games rather than those titles themselves.
But Repo's certainly allowed to not like those books. It doesn't change the fact that they resonated with a great many people.

And I want to add that Battle Royale is definitely making some sort of social statement, even though it's not immediately obvious for Americans. I'm pretty sure it's a reflection of the immense pressure to succeed placed on Japanese students, exaggerating the normal pressures by having characters pressured to murder each other. While Japan has less violent crime than countries like America, there is still a fair amount of explosive antisocial frustration that usually manifests as the NEET/hikikomori phenomenon. I know there have also been comparisons to the original novel and the Kobe child murders.

(I feel weird making this argument because I've never read or watched Twilight or Hunger Games and I've seen the first Battle Royale movie but didn't especially like it.)
Last edited by Nemoide on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:35 pm

Nemoide wrote:And I want to add that Battle Royale is definitely making some sort of social statement, even though it's not immediately obvious for Americans. I'm pretty sure it's a reflection of the immense pressure to succeed placed on Japanese students, exaggerating the normal pressures by having characters pressured to murder each other. While Japan has less violent crime than country's like America, there is still a fair amount of explosive antisocial frustration that usually manifests as the NEET/hikikomori phenomenon.

This is fair. I’ve never thought of it that way. Thank you!
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:39 pm

I tend to like Lindsay Ellis's videos. Perhaps I should give it a watch and re-evaluate my own thoughts on the issue.

Battle Royale and Hunger Games both owe a certain debt to The Lord of the Flies, which is something of an ancestor work.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:43 pm

Nemoide wrote:And I want to add that Battle Royale is definitely making some sort of social statement, even though it's not immediately obvious for Americans. I'm pretty sure it's a reflection of the immense pressure to succeed placed on Japanese students, exaggerating the normal pressures by having characters pressured to murder each other. While Japan has less violent crime than country's like America, there is still a fair amount of explosive antisocial frustration that usually manifests as the NEET/hikikomori phenomenon. I know there have also been comparisons to the original novel and the Kobe child murders.

It's also not really obvious in the movie, because a lot of the context was removed, but Battle Royale is supposed to take place in an alternate history Japan where the Axis powers were victorious. This leads to a continuation and expansion of the military statism of that era and, ultimately, the events depicted in the film.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 pm

I think both Twilight and Hunger Games are targeting to the teenage girl and has succeeded , I think the same reason why Buffy succeeded , and while I agree to call them popular I hate to see them called great movies. As for hunger games I really despise when some one takes an idea from some one else and makes it his own. Thats why I stopped watching Peaky Blinders, it was basically British Boardwalk Empire, they literally copied the show.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
REPO Man wrote:After all, Battle Royale totally dealt with the notion of teenagers dealing with a dystopian future better than The Hunger Games.

I disagree. Battle Royale is a very fun movie, but The Hunger Games addresses issues relating to class in an extractive society. It also notes, at least later in the series, how extractive societies tend to perpetuate themselves, even after an individual or group has been freed from oppression. Battle Royale exists in a dystopian alternate society, certainly, but unlike The Hunger Games, it doesn’t use its setting to address any actual issues.

well they had to do some twist to it to make it sound like a different story, otherwise just call it USA Battle Royale.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:18 am

RCBH928 wrote:I think both Twilight and Hunger Games are targeting to the teenage girl and has succeeded , I think the same reason why Buffy succeeded

So apparently anything starring a teenage girl can't appeal to anyone but teenage girls

You have an interesting perspective on things.

RCBH928 wrote: I hate to see them called great movies. As for hunger games I really despise when some one takes an idea from some one else and makes it his own.

Well that would be the end of all entertainment then as EVERYTHING borrows ideas from something else. You said Dredd and The Raid are basically the same movies and that is completely untrue. There is a basic idea they both incorporate, but everything surrounding that is completely different. You see everything so black and white, most things in life are much more nuanced. Some people really do miss the forest for the trees
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 am

Buffy appealed pretty much to everyone.

And before anyone says anything, I said "pretty much".

The only thing that can ruin Buffy is finding out all the fucked-up shit about Joss Whedon. Like how at some point he wasn't allowed alone in the same room as Michelle Trachtenberg or Joss' attitude towards Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy during production of Angel.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:42 am

REPO Man wrote:Buffy appealed pretty much to everyone.

And before anyone says anything, I said "pretty much".

The only thing that can ruin Buffy is finding out all the fucked-up shit about Joss Whedon. Like how at some point he wasn't allowed alone in the same room as Michelle Trachtenberg or Joss' attitude towards Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy during production of Angel.

Being a shitty person shouldn't detract from the art per se. But many of us never liked Joss Whedon, and we're glad that he's finally being recognized for the dirtbag he is.

Also, Twilight and shit, and no amount of ex post facto justification will ever redeem the series. Defending it is like defending a Big Mac. Sure, you may like it (I do!). But it's still garbage. Even if I like it, the world is better without it.

Pattinson seems like a cool dude, though, and I heard Kristen Stewart was, too.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:42 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:Being a shitty person shouldn't detract from the art per se. But many of us never liked Joss Whedon, and we're glad that he's finally being recognized for the dirtbag he is.

Yet I still can't support J.K. Rowling after she decided to be transphobic. But at least she can do a 180 and pledge to do better.

And before anyone says anything, Lovecraft is dead and his works are public domain. Also, for the most part folks didn't realize how heinous his views were until after he died and his works shaped the horror genre.

But John Kricfalusi can fuck off. For those who don't know, he groomed, molested and then ended up living with an underage girl. And it gets worse.

o.pwuaioc wrote:Also, Twilight and shit, and no amount of ex post facto justification will ever redeem the series. Defending it is like defending a Big Mac. Sure, you may like it (I do!). But it's still garbage. Even if I like it, the world is better without it.

Pattinson seems like a cool dude, though, and I heard Kristen Stewart was, too.

At least a Big Mac doesn't seem skeezy or cringey or outright problematic years later.

Also Pattinson, who I remember hearing was a descendant of Vlad Tepes, actually openly hates Twilight. And speaking of Pattinson, he got fucking hella jacked for The Batman. Holy FUCK!

And Kristen Stewart was awesome in The Runaways as Joan Jett.

Though one of the best things about Twilight was the parody on The Cleveland Show, where a pair of Edward and Jacob parodies were thought by Roberta to actually be a vampire and werewolf, respectively, and she thought both were vying for her affection. And it turned out that...

they weren't fighting, but the werewolf DID end up on top!
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:21 am

REPO Man wrote:At least a Big Mac doesn't seem skeezy or cringey or outright problematic years later.

Twilight is hilarious. Big Macs perpetuate the idea that mayonnaise belongs in the human diet.

One is way more damaging than the other.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever