What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Star Ocean: First Departure R on the Switch.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I’m taking on a big huge quest in going through the Legend of Heroes series.

First is the Trails in the Sky with FC and SC on the PSP and 3rd on the PC. Then it’s the Trails of Cold Steel with 1 & 2 on the Vita, then 3 & 4 on the PC. While I own ‘em all on PC (recent GOG sale), I much prefer portable so that’s why the platforms I’m using is mixed.

My biggest concern was the save transferring:
- FC and SC transfers but 3rd is a standalone thing.
- Steel 1 transfers to 2 and stops there.
- Steel 3 transfers to 4.

Honestly that just works out so well considering the flip flop between handheld and PC.

As for what I’m playing: about 30 hours in FC and I really like the game. I had issues with combat early on, mainly that it took a long time to get an AOE ability to hit multiple targets. It made battles a bit tedious at one point. There’s a lot of written words in this game (I hear SC is twice the length so that must have been a harrowing experience for XSeed). I like the two main characters. They’re written very well. I like the orbment system and I know for sure I’m not maximizing potential with that system. The cooking is awesome. Nothing special but I like filling out the pages. Speaking of which: one thing that sometimes turns me off to older RPGs is how I can’t remember what I was doing if I pick up the game after a long break. The Bracer Book keeps track of quests pretty thoroughly so if I take a break, I at least have an idea what I was doing before and where I need to go.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Don't worry about the save transferring; the benefits are incredibly minimal.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

MrPopo wrote:Don't worry about the save transferring; the benefits are incredibly minimal.

I looked it up just now. I wasn’t expecting Mass Effect levels of transfer benefits but you’re right: it’s not that big a deal. Still, it’s nice that’s it was included.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Shadows of Adam

I've put several hours into this little gem. It's an homage to 16-bit RPGs (I get some old school, Final Fantasy vibes off of it). Nothing more, nothing less. I quite like it, but don't play it if you want something that's going to really innovate. It really scratches that nostalgia itch though

REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Borderlands 3 raised the level cap again and added the ability to play the events at any time, so that's what I'm playing.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Borderlands isn't an RPG. Leveling up and looting guns doesn't make it an RPG.

That said, I really wish there was a Switch incarnation, or that I had time to play it on PC.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'd say you can make an argument that Borderlands is an RPG. The main thing it's missing is dialogue choices. But it's very level dependent with a skill tree and an emphasis on loot and the stats therein. It puts a lot of emphasis on stories and quests.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:I'd say you can make an argument that Borderlands is an RPG. The main thing it's missing is dialogue choices. But it's very level dependent with a skill tree and an emphasis on loot and the stats therein. It puts a lot of emphasis on stories and quests.

Yes, but it's also fundamentally a first-person shooter. Having some RPG elements doesn't always make you an RPG. I agree that in many ways Borderlands is RPG-adjacent, but I don't feel like it successfully makes the jump all the way.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think it's right on the cusp and depending on personal feelings it can fall on either end of the line. I don't think being a first person game where you shoot disqualifies something as an RPG; if you go a bow build in Skyrim is it suddenly not an RPG?