Live a Live/Bravely Default II similar to Octopath Traveler?

Level up here
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Live a Live/Bravely Default II similar to Octopath Traveler?

Post by Raging Justice »

I really enjoyed Octopath Traveler II and am looking for similar experiences (other than the first Octopath Traveler of course). Are these games a bit like that? What about Triangle Strategy? What other good rpgs are on the Switch? I've been surprised to learn that the Switch seems to get better RPG ports than their competition. Trails from Zero was better on Switch than on Playstation. 13 Sentinels was as well, until they patched the changes into the PS4 version.
MrPopo

Re: Live a Live/Bravely Default II similar to Octopath Trave

Post by MrPopo »

Live a Live is a series of mini RPGs with some different themeing to get them to play differently. But the core is a basic turn-based combat with fixed stat and ability growths.

Octopath and Bravely Default both take a lot of inspiration from Final Fantasy V, so they have a job system and let you learn abilities that can be used on another job. Bravely Default doesn't lock you into a base class like Octopath does.

Triangle Strategy is an SRPG in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre. Positioning is important (both in terms of height and flanking) and your units all have different roles that you need to use in the right way to make use of their strengths.

Bug Fables is straight up Paper Mario.

Trials of Mana (remake) is a 3D remake of the original (also known as Seiken Densetsu 3). It does a balance pass and makes the combat a bit more interesting but keeps the actual layouts of areas the same.

It's got DQ XI Definitive, so you can flip between 2D and 3D. It's Dragon Quest; you know what you're in for.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: Live a Live/Bravely Default II similar to Octopath Trave

Post by Raging Justice »

MrPopo wrote:Live a Live is a series of mini RPGs with some different themeing to get them to play differently. But the core is a basic turn-based combat with fixed stat and ability growths.

Octopath and Bravely Default both take a lot of inspiration from Final Fantasy V, so they have a job system and let you learn abilities that can be used on another job. Bravely Default doesn't lock you into a base class like Octopath does.

Triangle Strategy is an SRPG in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre. Positioning is important (both in terms of height and flanking) and your units all have different roles that you need to use in the right way to make use of their strengths.

Bug Fables is straight up Paper Mario.

Trials of Mana (remake) is a 3D remake of the original (also known as Seiken Densetsu 3). It does a balance pass and makes the combat a bit more interesting but keeps the actual layouts of areas the same.

It's got DQ XI Definitive, so you can flip between 2D and 3D. It's Dragon Quest; you know what you're in for.

Cool, Bug Fables is another one that was on my radar. I have actually never played a Dragons Quest game (other than that musou one with Omega Force). I need to rectify that at some point. I've always been a Final Fantasy guy, though I've lost interest in that franchise with its most recent installments.