Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:I kind of wish someone would re-translate FF IV but keep the mechanical simplifications and adjustments that were implemented in FFII on SNES. I really liked that slightly simpler, more manageable take on the Final Fantasy model, with fewer status effects and less item juggling to fix them. That's one reason I think I loved FF IV so much and bounced harder off later FF games. Status roulette is not fun for me.

I think we've established you are the one guy who would prefer that.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:
marurun wrote:I kind of wish someone would re-translate FF IV but keep the mechanical simplifications and adjustments that were implemented in FFII on SNES. I really liked that slightly simpler, more manageable take on the Final Fantasy model, with fewer status effects and less item juggling to fix them. That's one reason I think I loved FF IV so much and bounced harder off later FF games. Status roulette is not fun for me.

I think we've established you are the one guy who would prefer that.

Oh? You think the main reason people love Final Fantasy is dealing with a couple dozen status effects and a meaningless array of cures for those various effects?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm disappointed in you and your reducto ad absurdum. My assertion was that they enjoy having the status nuance, not that it's the primary driver.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:My assertion was that they enjoy having the status nuance, not that it's the primary driver.

I'd want to see some data on that. I've never once seen someone mention that as a specific aspect of the FF games they enjoy, especially given other games don't do things nearly to that same degree. It is, to an extent, an FF-specific trait.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Most games I've played have multiple categories of status ailments with different cleansing mechanisms. Hell, Pokemon still does it; there's poison, sleep, confuse, paralyze, frozen, and burning, all with a different heal item. Most of those games also tend to have a high level and/or rare "catch all" heal for late game. Having the whole game be "this one healing item for all the statuses" feels incredibly dumbed down.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:Most games I've played have multiple categories of status ailments with different cleansing mechanisms. Hell, Pokemon still does it; there's poison, sleep, confuse, paralyze, frozen, and burning, all with a different heal item. Most of those games also tend to have a high level and/or rare "catch all" heal for late game. Having the whole game be "this one healing item for all the statuses" feels incredibly dumbed down.

I take no issue with having some status effects. I just think the FF series started to take it too far. FFIV just has too many for me. I'd much rather play with the over-simplification of a single cure-all for a dozen different status effects than juggle that many. I mean, really, since you can carry like 99 of any item there's no reason not to have adequate cures. They just drain financial resources and cause you to have to spend more time in inventory menus. It's needless complexity that doesn't add nuance so much as waste time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

marurun wrote:I kind of wish someone would re-translate FF IV

I thought you really liked the old SNES translation? :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Post by marurun »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
marurun wrote:I kind of wish someone would re-translate FF IV

I thought you really liked the old SNES translation? :O

I like it fine, but I'd also like to experience the game with its more intended tone (because I know the tone was changed a lot when originally localized) without having to deal with some of the (IMO) over-complication. Was the GBA release a fairly good localization? I did play that one. So maybe I don't need what I'm asking for.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Square Enix shadow dropped physical versions on the Square Enix store in the wee hours of the morning. It is already sold out and the price is pretty high even for the standard edition.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/ ... collection
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Wow. 75 is way too much for a standard edition.