Level up here
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy XV

by Fragems Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:22 am

I'm on chapter 6 and really the story is pretty shitty so far as you said it feels like half the story is implied or requires supplemental material that just isn't there :P.

Issues with the story so far:
1. The future intro. WTF was the point of that all it served to do was introduce the main 4 party members and pretty much ensure you that they are safe from death for pretty much the majority of the story baring some time paradox :lol: . I was really expecting that to be a tutorial and a point at which they show off how bad ass your future self would be instead I walked 15 feet before taking cover and then bam back to the past however many years :P.
2. The story jumps all over the place and the enemy isn't very well explained at all. There is a named boss in the first base you raid who acts like he is of some significance but that's never explained and nobody really gives a shit afterwards :P.
3. Luna seems to be running around on her own this time and yet never bothers to meet up with the group who is supposedly trying to find her. It's also confusing that she is somehow in her own country and yet activating summons in your homeland. Plus her dog running across an ocean delivering messages to you makes no sense so she has to be there somewhere.
4. Shit like the cutscene at the end of chapter 5 which was an awesome dream sequence that felt like it was cut out of a MGS trailer, but served no purpose other then to inflate the CGI budget.
5. All these side characters who are barely established. It's confusing keeping track of who is supposed to be kings guard and who is just random people who you have some vague unexplained history with. Shit only gets more complicated when the game implies a character is dead/leaving etc. and then tosses them back in immediately without explanation. I literally just had a scene where I'm almost positive someone died(even though there is no real reason why he should be dead he was a nobody who had 2-3 minutes of screen time), and yet five minutes later my party is saying we should really thank dead dude for all his help he is the greatest :roll: .
6. If all the imperials were in the capital to sign this freaking treaty why the hell was I going overseas to get married in the first place :roll: .
7. In a world of cellphones nobody seems to bother using them until it's convenient to the story.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:38 am

Oh Fragmes, you innocent soul... buckle up. Buckle up with multiple seatbelts and hold onto your butts! The train hasn't even derailed yet. :P

Did you watch the movie? There was a few points where they show cutscenes from the movie, so that might be the CGI scenes you're speaking of. Yeah, no joke... the game has cutscenes ripped from the movie.

I should have mentioned that earlier too... first off you shouldn't have to go outside of the game (or main source of something) to get the full picture. But here, even with the backing of the full movie and the anime, it's still not enough to flesh this story out. Not even close!

I think that, up through chapter 9 everything progressed decently enough. The drop off from this point forward is insanely crazy. It makes me wonder if this is where Nomura left the project?
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:20 am

Xeogred wrote:@ isiolia: Cool I might check those out. I dig the aesthetics of FFXIV a lot. I like the weird urban fantasy the series has stuck with for the most part since FFVII, but I really wish we could get a full blown new installment in the vein of the high fantasy style of FFIV. It kind of looks like FFXIV is the answer to that. One of my friends claims it's not bad to play solo... who knows. But maybe I'll just watch some stuff instead.

Main thing with XIV is that if SE intends it to be solo content, then it's solo content - balanced for solo and a particular level/ilevel range. As with most modern MMOs, that encompasses quite a lot. However, there are group dungeons that are part of the story, so far as I know you will eventually hit content you will have to group for. On the one hand, there's auto-grouping for it via Duty Finder. On the other, it means doing stuff with a bunch of randos, which might not be appealing (it's a deal breaker for me, but I have a lot of social anxiety with online games :cry: ).
If you mean solo in the sense of not needing to commit to a guild or something, then sure.

XI is a lot more sandbox-ey, and between the higher level cap and ability to summon NPCs to fill out a party (and a ton of other adjustments over the years), doing all of the mission (main story) content without ever interacting with another person is quite possible.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 am

Yeah I know about the Kingsglave scenes that got patched in :P. That was such a stupid chioce and I think the one between chapter 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 which shows the invasion without giving any real context thanks to the lack of audio was a total waste and actually ruined the impact of a few of the future scenes because there is no mystery to how the shit hit the fan and what happened with the king.

As for the pointless CGI scene I'm talking about the dream sequence where Noct is raiding a base killing 100s of dudes with a White Dog/wolf and eventually he is using an assault rifle. Scene felt like it had no purpose other then to be pure eye candy and felt really out of place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWMjUjNcKAs
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:41 pm

lmao, okay yeah that one... uh yep, I've got nothing. No idea what it's supposed to be for!

@isiolia: On that note, probably won't touch them haha. I don't like MMO's so yeah. The chances are just slim to none. I'm still always irked they named those alongside the main line.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:51 pm

When I watched that scene I took it as Nocte is scared that he can't do his mission without the power of his ancestors. He starts of using his weapons, teleporting, etc. By the end he feels hopeless and has to resort to using guns (because he does not have his powers).

The dog (which I thought was Umbra, but maybe not, looks white) I thought was meant to be his "friendship" with Luna.

Thought it was trying to show he felt hopeless, I don't think it was overtly needed and did not drive the story forward, but the above is how I read the scene when I first saw it.

Also side note: Has anyone got into the "Dungeons in the Dungeons", god damn those things step up massively.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:56 pm

emwearz wrote:When I watched that scene I took it as Nocte is scared that he can't do his mission without the power of his ancestors. He starts of using his weapons, teleporting, etc. By the end he feels hopeless and has to resort to using guns (because he does not have his powers).

The dog (which I thought was Umbra, but maybe not, looks white) I thought was meant to be his "friendship" with Luna.

Thought it was trying to show he felt hopeless, I don't think it was overtly needed and did not drive the story forward, but the above is how I read the scene when I first saw it.

Also side note: Has anyone got into the "Dungeons in the Dungeons", god damn those things step up massively.

That's kind of what I took from the scene as well as for the Dog I'm pretty sure that Luna has two dogs and that was the second one or at least I think there were two in one of the previous cut scenes.

Really it had a lot to do with Jarrod getting killed off which I find really stupid. Honestly he had no screen time and nearly no backstory other then being one of the dozens of one off characters that have some loose connection to the king that isn't fully explained. The fact that the devs put so much weight behind the death of a nearly no name character is plain idiotic and they really should have fleshed him out if they wanted to make his death a semi pivotal moment for the lead characters. Honestly they should have either A.) had a cut scene or B.) had some physical evidence of the struggle at the hotel. Honestly I couldn't even tell if he was dead or just abducted till they raided the next base because my characters behaviors didn't catch up the events in the game till a few missions forward. They were still chatting about the guy in present tense for a good while after his death as if nothing had happened :P.

I'm on Chapter 8 now with my character all around lvl 35. Would be farther but I took some time to grind some side missions/hunts.

Also Update 1.03 just hit it's just over 11GBs :P.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Beat it.

Glad it's over with.

I'm one that can handle bad endings, but this was the back third (or arguably the second half of the main plot) that nosedived so hard, I'm feeling rather sour about the whole thing overall right now.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Xeogred wrote:Beat it.

Glad it's over with.

I'm one that can handle bad endings, but this was the back third (or arguably the second half of the main plot) that nosedived so hard, I'm feeling rather sour about the whole thing overall right now.

Woah, really. I found it one of the better endings. (After FFXIII-2, anything is amazing). I thought it went back to being good after the chapter 13 pain in the ass.

Reminded me of the ending of FFX quite a bit. The lads sacrificing themselves at the gate, you feel someone what empathetic towards Ardyns backstory, the concept that he had to die in order to kill Arydyn in the afterlife was awesome.

To each his own eh.

The end up content is pretty good, been enjoying finishing the two royal dungeons I missed and fighting some of this awesome bosses.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:53 pm

New patch is actually 3.2gb it just bugs out when it first starts downloading :P.

Adds New Game + , but since there are no new difficulty options or features in the new game it just basically allows you to keep your character progressions and items if you want to run through it a second time.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/12/f ... bug-fixes/
Return to RPG