Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Level up here
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:Don't take the 'brooding' remark as an insult to those games. I like 6 (and 7) as much as anybody. 6 justifies it's overall melancholy tone really well, and 9 does have its share of that too, but yeah...

I liked Steiner a lot in 9 too, and I really liked Beatrix, despite her not being playable. I'll be the first to admit though that the story turns into a real mess in the second half.

Yeah, but I believe that one of 6's greatest strengths if that it does drama good. Its characters understand that they are not the only ones suffering and they must overcome their problems for the sake of the world.

On the other hand..... how many hours did we spend in FF7 as Cloud's psychiatrist? :lol:

Yeah the story did jump a lot of sharks in the second part of FF9. On the other hand if it didn't, the game would have been more about Dagger than Zidane, wouldn't it?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
brainofjtd
24-bit

Post by brainofjtd »

All of the shark jumping in 9 is still not as odd as the one big jump in FF8. "It turns out they were all kids together and you can't play as Laguna despite spending half the game with him!"

Eff you, FFVIII.
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

What really annoyed me with that storyline, was Irvine. "Ah yeah I remembered you guys, but you see I thought it was lame that you guys didn't that's why I didn't say anything"
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
brainofjtd
24-bit

Post by brainofjtd »

Irvine is a toolbox. Everyone is a toolbox who isn't Squall Rinoa and Zell.
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

ZeroAX wrote:What really annoyed me with that storyline, was Irvine. "Ah yeah I remembered you guys, but you see I thought it was lame that you guys didn't that's why I didn't say anything"

This is what annoyed me more than the sudden amnesia. That I could handle, since it was slightly alluded to before with Seifer.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
Flake

Post by Flake »

Lol, with VIII's story line they had so many easy outs to explain that weak ass story. They could have just popped a line in there about Ultamecia screwing up the time line and that causing gaps in everyone's memories.

Leave it to the Japanese game companies to have no clue how to tell a competent story.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

are you implying that western game companies are any more competent at storytelling? :lol:
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

The amnesia bit in VIII really pissed me off as well. I was fine with it being in VI and VII but them using such a cheap plot device a third time in a row with little to no clear prior hints at it left a bad taste in by mouth.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

1. IX
2. I [PSP Remake]
3. VI
4. VII
5. IV
6. X
7. VIII
8. III