Skies of Arcadia ~ Tips?

Level up here
joehero
32-bit

Skies of Arcadia ~ Tips?

Post by joehero »

Ok Guys. I admit it. Ive never been really into RPG's. Especially with turn-base fighting systems. I have played other games, such as Fable and KOTOR, that have elements of RPG but also real-time action. With all the high praise that Skies of Arcadia gets, I'm going to give it a go. Can you give me some tips, to help ease my pain, into this new genre? Like what works best, when to run, when to fight, what to use. Also, without starting a console war, which version should I play, Dreamcast or Gamecube and the benefits of both. Thanks guys!
Ziggy

Re: Skies of Arcadia ~ Tips?

Post by Ziggy »

I only played the first disc of Skies, but here are my thoughts...

Since you've never played a turned based RPG before, maybe you should start with a more simple game. I would recommend the PS1 remake of Final Fantasy 1. It's a very simple RPG, and extremely easy if you use a guide. Another very simple turned based RPG that comes to mind is Pokemon Red or Blue for the Gameboy.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I've weaned people onto JRPGs before, and I have to recommend starting off with the first entries in the genre's 2 biggest juggernauts; Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest. As Ziggy said, the PS1 version is quite good, but I'm putting my vote in for the PSP version, if you have a PSP. It fits the console quite well, with sleep mode and saving anywhere. It's great in short bursts, which is exactly what you need to start out with. If you're going to get Dragon Warrior, get I and II for the GBC. It's probably the best version of the game released outside of Japan. It's better if you want a bit more challenging of a game, but it's your call. This was actually my first RPG, so forgive me if I show favoritism.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Skies of Arcadia is a very good game. Actually not hard, very intuitive. The Dreamcast however suffers from too many random battles. Great if you like a ton of turn based battles.

Sometimes you will walk 3 steps and another battle! Frustrating overkill!

One of these days I'm gonna pick up the Gamecube Legends version which addresses that.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

I have also just started playing Skies of Arcadia Legends and I am 46 hrs in. Its pretty good and from what I hear has more then the DC version, and less random battles and the only thing bad is the sound quilty is not as good as the DC version. Sounds fine though even if it sounds worse. Most of the extras are side quest so it might not matter to you which version to get being new to RPGs.

To be honest I find the Mario RPGs the best rpgs for beginners. It has familiar characters, funny story and even though turn based you are still actively involved in combat, and there short none longer then 40hrs and thats only Paper Mario : attyd thats long.

Dragonquest and FF originals can be boring for the begginer and are quite long with constant random battles and dungeon crawling. I think if you start there you might be scared away. Once more comfortable with the genre then try the FF and DQ games.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
darthbluntedone
16-bit

Post by darthbluntedone »

i would say when i played it on the dreamcast (and i dont like rpg games all that much)
i loved this game i spent a few hours a day with that game. my tip is just play it. it really isnt that hard. i also have it for the gamecube and yes it has less battles and it has added content.

this game is in my top 20 favs of all time cant go wrong with this game as it is a must play, if you like video games. i even like it more than shenmue :wink: \

as for tips i just gotta say stick with it you will pick it up in an hour or so as my son plays it on the cube and he is 8 years old. so its not so difficult.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

pepharytheworm wrote:I have also just started playing Skies of Arcadia Legends and I am 46 hrs in. Its pretty good and from what I hear has more then the DC version, and less random battles and the only thing bad is the sound quilty is not as good as the DC version. Sounds fine though even if it sounds worse. Most of the extras are side quest so it might not matter to you which version to get being new to RPGs.

You mentioned the sound quality is not as good. Is the music / voices changed compared to the Dreamcast version? Also how are the graphics compared to the original on the DC?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

Skies of Arcadia actually is pretty slow to start so you will get plenty of time to get used to the battle system. And the npc's early on do a good job of explaining the details of combat.

So i would not worry too much.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

CRTGAMER wrote:
pepharytheworm wrote:I have also just started playing Skies of Arcadia Legends and I am 46 hrs in. Its pretty good and from what I hear has more then the DC version, and less random battles and the only thing bad is the sound quilty is not as good as the DC version. Sounds fine though even if it sounds worse. Most of the extras are side quest so it might not matter to you which version to get being new to RPGs.

You mentioned the sound quality is not as good. Is the music / voices changed compared to the Dreamcast version? Also how are the graphics compared to the original on the DC?

It just doesn't sound a crisp. i don't think any voices or sound were changed.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Okay thanks.

I have the import soundtrack and would have hated it if the music were changed.
Unlike Metal Gear which lost all its great music ..........
Off to Gamestop tomorrow ........
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.