Level up here
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by REPO Man Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:22 pm

Been enjoying Dysmantle for Switch, but it's also on PC and the PlayStation and Xbox consoles. It's a survival action RPG where you dismantle the environment, first with a simple crowbar and soon with such tools like an axe and a bat, and then use the resources gathered to make new gear and upgrade current gear, all the while tearing through nasty creatures and attempting to escape. I've been playing it pretty much exclusively since I got it at the end of March.
JungleHeart
8-bit

by JungleHeart Sun May 15, 2022 11:30 pm

I'm playing Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising. It barely passes as an RPG. It's mostly a platformer, town-building sim. It can get really repetitive, it's no surprise at this point that the game is a fetch quest simulator lol but the progression of building up a town from almost nothing is satisfying. Plus, if you've played and enjoyed any of the Suikoden games, the Suikoden vibe and coat of paint on this title will feel incredibly familiar.

The dialogues are funny too, albeit in a very simplistic way. It totally evokes the Suikoden vibe.
"Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning."
—Suikoden I
--
Currently works as a freelance writer
https://blog.playerauctions.com
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon May 16, 2022 8:00 am

JungleHeart wrote:I'm playing Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising. It barely passes as an RPG. It's mostly a platformer, town-building sim. It can get really repetitive, it's no surprise at this point that the game is a fetch quest simulator lol but the progression of building up a town from almost nothing is satisfying. Plus, if you've played and enjoyed any of the Suikoden games, the Suikoden vibe and coat of paint on this title will feel incredibly familiar.

The dialogues are funny too, albeit in a very simplistic way. It totally evokes the Suikoden vibe.

Like a lot of people that backed Eiyuden Chronicle, I'm still waiting on my download code for Rising. Their fulfillment partner is completely incompetent as far as I can tell. :evil:
opa
128-bit

by opa Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:21 am

Megami Tensei. I'm really digging it more than the later SMT games.
FrankSerpico

by FrankSerpico Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:37 pm

I finally started Valkyrie Profile. Beautiful game, the artwork still holds up. I'm only about an hour in, I've been meaning to get into some of the classic RPGs I've accumulated for the PSone for awhile.
Ack

by Ack Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 am

FrankSerpico wrote:I finally started Valkyrie Profile. Beautiful game, the artwork still holds up. I'm only about an hour in, I've been meaning to get into some of the classic RPGs I've accumulated for the PSone for awhile.

What all have you acquired so far that you haven't spent time with? The PS1 has a boatload of RPGs worth playing. It's easy to get lost in the genre weeds!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:14 pm

One interesting thing I'm noticing of late is these Asian movie inspired rpgs that are slowly starting to becoming a thing. I guess maybe it's an offshoot of stuff like Ghosts of Tsushima becoming popular. I am going to give this a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKE3Utd_Tk

and then try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_vCcum_RM
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:27 pm

opa wrote:Final Fantasy VIII is really about becoming the world's best Magic the Gathering player.

Late to the conversation, but my thoughts:

FF 8 had really interesting gameplay systems with the draw system being something different and the different, unintended ways that FF 8 let you completely control rng allowing for an unprecedented amount of control in an FF game. Plus, the card game was fun and addicting. It's also gave us even more amazing graphics than FF 7 and more of the amazing cut scenes that would start being the norm in FF games. I loved 8, and Squall seemed to become as popular as Cloud given all of his appearances in the Kingdom Hearts games.

FF 9 was just a bland, by the numbers, FF game by comparison with a very uninteresting story and forgettable cast. I have no idea why some people regard it very highly. To me, you had this awesome resurgence of Final Fantasy being great with 7 and 8, a forgettable, worthless entry in 9, then the franchise becoming awesome again in 10, then getting dragged down with X-2, followed by a stupid online focused one in 11, then a respectable, but not amazing entry in 12, followed by the highly controversial XIII, which had one of the best combat systems in the whole franchise despite its other failings, followed by two unnecessary sequels in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns (even if they did have some interesting ideas), another worthless online focused FF game after that in 14, then the train wreck that was 15

That's where we are now. The franchise is not in a good place IMO. Seems Persona games get all the praise now, even though I find them dreadfully boring.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:12 pm

And even then, God forbid anyone remember any of the Persona games BEFORE Persona 3.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:32 pm

Soul Hackers 2
Return to RPG