Level up here
opa
128-bit

Re: "Buggiest" RPGs you've played

by opa Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:00 am

You know how in FFI you can hit an empty space if the enemy died previously in the round? Was that a bug or oversight?
Ack

by Ack Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:21 am

opa wrote:You know how in FFI you can hit an empty space if the enemy died previously in the round? Was that a bug or oversight?

I think it was closer to oversight, because a lot of RPGs did it at the time, even up through the SNES with the Lufia games.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:11 am

Can I assume that they fixed a lot of these issues in the FF1 remake/rerelease on the PSP and GBA?
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:49 am

The primary one not fixed is the critical hit bug; that got turned into a feature.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:53 pm

Ack wrote:
opa wrote:You know how in FFI you can hit an empty space if the enemy died previously in the round? Was that a bug or oversight?

I think it was closer to oversight, because a lot of RPGs did it at the time, even up through the SNES with the Lufia games.

Is it even an oversight at that point? I always assumed it was part of the strategy. Whatever it was, I'm glad it wasn't a part of FFIV, otherwise I might never have gotten into JRPGs.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:36 pm

Someone will have to correct me on this but funny enough, I think Gen III Pokémon had that same exact problem. First set of games to implement double battles. If you have both of your mons target the same enemy mon and the first attacker knocks the enemy mon out, your second attacker would miss.

I also think Golden Sun did this auto miss for a killed target too.

Memory is a bit hazy. I could be wrong on both counts.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:26 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Ack wrote:

Is it even an oversight at that point? I always assumed it was part of the strategy. Whatever it was, I'm glad it wasn't a part of FFIV, otherwise I might never have gotten into JRPGs.

Yeah, I don't think of the possibility of attacking a fallen enemy was an oversight. I thought it made a lot of sense, and I had mixed feelings when other games didn't have this feature.

On the one hand, it's kind of nice to not waste an attack, and it makes grinding a bit easier. On the other, it makes combat less engaging.

Final Fantasy on the NES was my first JRPG, so I had no expectations going in. I thought of each battle as a slower simulation of something that would take only a few seconds in in-game time. If you assign all actions and they take place over the course of one second of in-game time then there wouldn't really be time to recognize that an opponent has been defeated and redirect an attack at one still standing.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:39 am

Weirdly enough, Persona 1 has that problem but in a reverse way. If you're attacking the enemy with a single-target move and that enemies dies but another is in range, you just switch targets to the next one in line. No problem. However, if you're trying to do something to a party member (be it casting a single-target spell or using an item) and that party member dies before you can get the action off, THAT action whiffs and just nothing happens. At least it doesn't consume the item or anything, but it's a very odd design choice to me :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:51 am

Pandora's Tower on the Wii.
It has a bug that doesn't allow you to go back after one point and the game will freeze. If you needed to move back to complete the game, the bug ruined the whole game at first. Now people have found a workaround. But when it first was noticed many people gave up on it.
I stopped playing the game for fear of the bug. One day I will return to play it again.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:00 pm

Sadly, nearly all the RPGs I played were far in the past and I used guides for nearly all of them. I always rely on the zombie archipelago to gain in FF1, I even exploited the drop bug to speed up the win in Diablo for PS1. For me, those bugs were features to enjoy exploiting.
I've had tons of crashes in old dos games, some game ending, but I can't even remember the names of most of them.
I remember trying to play that Black and White Peter Molyneux thing, but I never actually played it because I couldn't.

I just remembered one that I was able to fix, but it was me piecing together information from several eras of posts to fix.

The Gollop brothers made Magic and Mayhem a few years after X-Com UFO Defense went platinum, trying to get back to their roots in D&D fantasy scenarios. Magic and Mayhem didn't get much fanfare, and despite the internet being so well established, fans were spread over usenet, fan-forums, the official forums, and fansites.
I had a game breaking bug, and then another. None were fixed by patches, but through dedicated fans posting on forums years earlier, I was able to do some file renaming and a bit of hex editing to stop the crashes.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to RPG