My Sega Saturn and Dreamcast

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
TristanX
8-bit

My Sega Saturn and Dreamcast

Post by TristanX »

Did some housekeeping. Found my old consoles. Moved my Saturn and Dreamcast to the storage box.

Most of the game discs still intact.

Oh, I have PS1 and PS2 games as well.
Play with the best or lose like the rest.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: My Sega Saturn and Dreamcast

Post by Raging Justice »

Nice. I still remember how excited I was when the DC came out. I expected great things from it...how wrong I was. Still, it has some great games and I have fond memories. Seems like a simple system to collect for too and supposedly you can even play some of those games in HD I think? That system was a little ahead of its time. I think it had internet before the Xbox made that a big thing

I wouldn't come to appreciate the Saturn until years later. I like the DC more, but the Saturn has some fun stuff. It never came close to the Playstation's amazing library though IMO, but god does it have some beautiful and amazing 2d games like Astal and Three Dirty Dwarves and Elevator Action Returns. Getting nostalgic now just thinking about it. Fun, 3d stuff like Die Hard Arcade too.

I really hate those damn long box cases that it and some early Playstation games had though, so flimsy. Always makes me nervous when handling them.

I miss you Sega, at least you still publish cool stuff from time to time but to this day it feels kind of wrong that they aren't making consoles anymore. I'd easily trade Microsoft for Sega if it were up to me. No more Xbox, but finally a Dreamcast 2. The industry would be interesting if it were just Sony, Nintendo, and Sega.
TristanX
8-bit

Post by TristanX »

Raging Justice wrote:Nice. I still remember how excited I was when the DC came out. I expected great things from it...how wrong I was. Still, it has some great games and I have fond memories. Seems like a simple system to collect for too and supposedly you can even play some of those games in HD I think? That system was a little ahead of its time. I think it had internet before the Xbox made that a big thing

I wouldn't come to appreciate the Saturn until years later. I like the DC more, but the Saturn has some fun stuff. It never came close to the Playstation's amazing library though IMO, but god does it have some beautiful and amazing 2d games like Astal and Three Dirty Dwarves and Elevator Action Returns. Getting nostalgic now just thinking about it. Fun, 3d stuff like Die Hard Arcade too.

I really hate those damn long box cases that it and some early Playstation games had though, so flimsy. Always makes me nervous when handling them.

I miss you Sega, at least you still publish cool stuff from time to time but to this day it feels kind of wrong that they aren't making consoles anymore. I'd easily trade Microsoft for Sega if it were up to me. No more Xbox, but finally a Dreamcast 2. The industry would be interesting if it were just Sony, Nintendo, and Sega.

I was skeptical about Dreamcast. Shared with my friend and bought it. Was somewhat disappointed with the games coming out. Not enough Strategy and RPG.

My Saturn and Dreamcast still works. I have RCA to HDMI adapter. Will test it soon.

1990s is the golden age of games. Megadrive/Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64. Good old days. Yeah, I wished Sega continued with Dreamcast 2. All they needed is loosen up the rules for third party.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

TristanX wrote:
1990s is the golden age of games. Megadrive/Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64. Good old days. Yeah, I wished Sega continued with Dreamcast 2. All they needed is loosen up the rules for third party.

It's hard to disagree with you on that, though I think the PS2 had a pretty amazing library. The PS2 era was the last time gaming was really great in my opinion, as the advent of the HD era of gaming started a lot of really awful trends that are still with us today
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Raging Justice wrote:
TristanX wrote:

It's hard to disagree with you on that, though I think the PS2 had a pretty amazing library. The PS2 era was the last time gaming was really great in my opinion, as the advent of the HD era of gaming started a lot of really awful trends that are still with us today

I found myself continually disappointed with PS2 games. Over and over again, they're just lackluster, or bloated, or the camera was awful. 3D wasn't that refined yet. Some of the "greats" like Ico were just plain boring to me, although a small handful I hold dear. Maybe novel for the time, but so little of it holds up today (again, in my opinion; I ended up selling 90% of the PS2 games I had). Same with lots of Dreamcast games. But maybe it comes down to age? I didn't even love the N64 when I first got it. 8/16 bit for life!

Saturn though is still a great console. TristanX, you're a shooter fan, right? (Assuming so from the R-Type Final 2 comment.) Are you digging up your old games, too?
TristanX
8-bit

Post by TristanX »

Raging Justice wrote:
TristanX wrote:

I bought less games on PS2 era. Games are becoming more focused into graphics, not gameplay. PS3 is worse. I skipped PS4.

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:
TristanX wrote:

I found myself continually disappointed with PS2 games. Over and over again, they're just lackluster, or bloated, or the camera was awful. 3D wasn't that refined yet. Some of the "greats" like Ico were just plain boring to me, although a small handful I hold dear. Maybe novel for the time, but so little of it holds up today (again, in my opinion; I ended up selling 90% of the PS2 games I had). Same with lots of Dreamcast games. But maybe it comes down to age? I didn't even love the N64 when I first got it. 8/16 bit for life!

Saturn though is still a great console. TristanX, you're a shooter fan, right? (Assuming so from the R-Type Final 2 comment.) Are you digging up your old games, too?

I play many type of games. Shooter is one of them. I always aim to clear the game with one credit. Like Gokujou Parodius (Fantastic Journey), I can reach stage 8 with no continues. Konami shooter games usually have difficulty increase after you clear every stage or powerup and it reduces once you die.

If MAME has the game, I would play them on MAME instead.

Well, I can dig the games and seed the torrent. Only when someone request it though. ISOs are easy to come by these days. I seeded some rare ones back on Saturntorrents days.