Modded Game Gear? Or Mk. III?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Modded Game Gear? Or Mk. III?

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

Hi all,

Been going back and forth between getting an LCD-modded Game Gear or a Sega Mk. III, which seems surprisingly import-friendly.

I live in the US, so I'm aware I'd have to get the SMS convertor for the Mk. III, which is not an issue. Most of the games I'd like to play are available on both systems (8-bit Sonic games, Master of Darkness, and the like). For other SMS exclusives, I know there is a nice convertor you can get to play those on your GG.

The main draw of the Mk. III is that it looks so cool. But then, I also think the Game Gear looks cool in its own chunky way. I've never owned an 8-bit Sega system so I don't really know where to start!

Anyway, if anyone has experience with either a modded GG or importing a Mk. III, sound off below! Looking for any input at all :)
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Modded Game Gear? Or Mk. III?

Post by Nemoide »

My first questions is: would you prefer to play games on a TV or as a handheld? Game Gear games typically have a smaller visible area compared to SMS versions of the same questions, so GG works fine as a handheld, but SMS is better on a big screen. So while you can technically play SMS games on your GG or find a solution to play GG games on a TV, that's really not the best way for either IMO.

And then I have alternate solutions:
Instead of a Mark III, I think the best way to play SMS games is using a Power Base Mini FM with a Sega Genesis, which lets you play American SMS games with FM audio. You can still use a SMS controller if you prefer and the FM soundtrack is a big bonus. Although it looks like it's out of stock at Stone Age Gamer, so it may no longer be available.
If you're planning on opting for the FM-sound add-on for the Mark III, you're spending BIG BUCKS. I agree that the Mark III is a very cool looking system, but I think you'd probably be spending a too much extra money just for the system's aesthetic. It's really not a practical way to explore the system's library unless you're in Japan IMO.

As for the Game Gear, you may want to wait for the Analogue Pocket to come out. The fact that it's advertising a high-quality screen that's exactly 10x the resolution of the original Game Gear make me think it will give even the lauded McWill mod a run for its money, plus giving you out-of-the-box compatibility with Game Boy games and some other neat features.

If you plan on actually hunting down cartridges rather than using a flash cart, I feel like the Game Gear is going to give you an easier time with more games that are generally less expensive. Conversely, if you're a CIB-purist, the SMS might be easier to collect for because more folks held onto the hard plastic cases.

I feel like I'm rambling, but either way, I'm not sure that getting a Mark III or modded GG are in fact the best options! But I also think that you'll be happy exploring the world of 8-bit Sega games regardless! I guess if I had to pick one to recommend, I'd lean towards Game Gear just because it's what I've been playing more of lately and it's kind of neat as a piece of hardware that stands apart from other systems in my collection.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

Thanks for the tips Nemoid! I'm not too hard-pressed to get perfect sound (or even visuals) as far as a console option goes, since I'll be using an old-school CRT– and not a particularly nice one :lol: . Similarly, I am definitely a cartridge-based gamer. The flash cart simply provides too many options and doesn't feel as legitimate for me, personally. Not to offend anyone, it's just a matter of personal preference. I don't need CIB for anything but my most favorite titles, so I'm happy to go on a cart hunt. I do love the low cost of GG titles.

Any experience using a master gear convertor (or something similar) on the GG? I'm worried that it would crop screen resolution or otherwise mess with the MS games as intended. Mostly thinking of psycho fox, which I picked up like 7 years ago thinking I'd be getting a SMS soon... time flies!
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

+1 for the Analogue Pocket. They are going to start taking preorders again soon. If you get the dock, you can play GG games on your TV as well.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've never used a Master Gear Converter personally but you are right to be concerned about the difference in resolutions! I believe SMS games (and a few GG titles where they got lazy) run at a different resolution that makes them look a bit squashed. Unfortunately I don't know how much this effects games (I think there are a handful that won't run at all) and don't know how much a new LCD screen might improve the experience.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Hmm, with the upgraded LCD screen in a GG, Master system games will likely have a boxed in resolution.
But then, I haven't kept up with what's available (maybe they have ones that scale now?).

Anyway, I still say go for the Game Gear. But I am super biased, as I have a fascination with handhelds.
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Why not play SMS games on a Genesis with a capable flash cart? The Game Gear exclusive roms have been modded to be enjoyed on a standard screen, and you can still get a power-base convertor to play nearly all on a Genesis with it's built-in RGB output.

I have original Game Gears that I refurbished, then I bought a flash cart that can play SMS games through them. It's not really great. After making the third work through recapping it's still a little unreliable. I have now bought 4 of them so I could play through a couple of exclusives. It was an experience for sure, but not recommended.
The McWill LCD upgrade is not capable of 1:1 or 1:2 scaling, it's a non-integer scaled pixel mess. Do not do it.
I know the original hardware is preferred, but the flashcarts can easily bypass the genesis hardware and make the SMS roms play with even the FM hardware being now faithfully reproduced.
Can't recommend original hardware here, It's failing and hard to refurbish.
You can consolize a Game Gear if you need to play the exclusives without dealing with the screen, but it is one of the most involved mods.

Having said all that, if you want to buy my Game gear(s) to play a couple of games, I'd sell all of what I've got at a loss - PM me. The LCD is as gloriously viewable at only one angle as I remember it being in the 90s, but it's still bright and colorful through the new glass screen. I think it needs about 11 degrees from original angle to get the full color when you adjust the potentiometer. I guarantee the sound hardware to be fully upgraded, and you will have all of the SMS games in a single cart.
Still underweling IMO, but you seem like you'd enjoy the original experience.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I agree with what people are saying - if you want to play on a TV, don't go for the Game Gear. Modded video output is a bonus but afaik it'll still cause compression on the Master System title as it's still outputting the Game Gear's original screen resolution.

I do think the best way to play Master System games is generally via the Mega Drive with a convertor (superior controller and the hardware is more affordable and has less video connection foibles to deal with), but if you want original hardware I don't see much advantage to the Japanese system - it'll be pricy to get both the system and games compared to the western option. If you really want to explore the Master System library and you're based in the US, you'll want to be importing European or Brazilian titles in my opinion, and these will work fine in an American system without an adaptor.

Game Gear is generally the cheaper option though if you're buying Game Gear games instead of Master System ones. If you don't mind playing on the handheld screen and you plan to get a good number of games it will probably end up cheaper overall. The modded Game Gear is very pricy (and I genuinely dont recommend playing on an unmodded console these days) but the games will be much more affordable so the more games you get the better a cost saver it will end up being compared to Master System.