SatConv.exe alternative (not interested in PseudoKai)

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
indecks
Next-Gen

SatConv.exe alternative (not interested in PseudoKai)

Post by indecks »

Hello. Been a long time since Ive been here.

I'm getting back into playing my Saturn, and I'm still using one of the old Racketboy Modboards that I bought here about 200 years ago. Back in the day I used to use SatConv.exe to convert any of my ISOs to my region (US). I was able to track down the application, but it won't run 64 bit Win10.

I know newer solutions exist like PseudoKai and so on, but I have no interest in flashing my Pro Action Replay as it has sentimental value (it was my brothers, he passed away), and the same goes for my Saturn console, I don't want to install a universal bios/FRAM or even a region switch. I'd like to leave it as original as possible until if/when I get an ODE.

Is there anything that can be used on modern PCs that will remove or change region codes for Saturn ISOs?

Thanks for the help.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: SatConv.exe alternative (not interested in PseudoKai)

Post by samsonlonghair »

Just off the top of my head, the first thing I would try is setting up windows XP in a virtual machine. Maybe virtual box or VMware.

Alternatively, you could get an old laptop or desktop and install windows XP on that.

Once you have WinXP running, you should be able to run satconv.exe

Word to the wise: don’t connect windows XP to the internet. Just copy files with a USB drive.
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

samsonlonghair wrote:Just off the top of my head, the first thing I would try is setting up windows XP in a virtual machine. Maybe virtual box or VMware.

Alternatively, you could get an old laptop or desktop and install windows XP on that.

Once you have WinXP running, you should be able to run satconv.exe

Word to the wise: don’t connect windows XP to the internet. Just copy files with a USB drive.

Yeah I thought the same thing but I figured I'd see if anyone had a new version. I know Kai is really popular, but it doesn't work with *everything* where my chipped Saturn will. Plus I'd rather just use my official 4 meg cart and just leave it in.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

There's Saturn Region Patcher v3.0 Gold Edition. I've last used it on Windows Vista or 7, but it probably works on 10 too.

Alternatively, you can use a hex editor to patch the region of a disc image. More info in this post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=23524&hilit=burning#p289998

If you don't know how to use a hex editor, I think this would actually be a good first project to learn with.
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

Ziggy587 wrote:There's Saturn Region Patcher v3.0 Gold Edition. I've last used it on Windows Vista or 7, but it probably works on 10 too.

Alternatively, you can use a hex editor to patch the region of a disc image. More info in this post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=23524&hilit=burning#p289998

If you don't know how to use a hex editor, I think this would actually be a good first project to learn with.

Nice, that worked great. I could have sworn in the past with SatConv, you could make disc images universal, but I could be remembering incorrectly. Well that got me going, thanks for the help.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Awesome, glad it worked out for you!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Along With Knight0fDragon's release of the 0.99 beta of the Dracula X Saturn translation, a new tool was released. It's a Saturn game patching tool, but also includes universal region patching with a single click.
https://segaxtreme.net/threads/translat ... -99.24647/
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage