Xeogred
Next-Gen

Streets of Rage 4 ANNOUNCED

by Xeogred Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:41 am

Streets of Rage 4 is happening:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/27/st ... announced/
https://twitter.com/Dotemu

Trailer: https://youtu.be/M_bgPefCyfA

A new Streets of Rage game has been announced. Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games, and Dotemu are working on Streets of Rage 4. It will be a 2D action game where players will take to the streets to beat up various toughs.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/27/st ... uMqhMG8.99

Same team as the Wonder Boy Dragon Trap remake?

At a glance, I wasn't sure what to make of this art style... but watching the trailer and seeing it in action, I think I dig it.

Let us hope Yuzo Koshiro is involved!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Streets of Rage 4 ANNOUNCED

by noiseredux Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:00 pm

hmm, I actually like the art. A lot more than Double Dragon Neon for instance. Either way, exciting news to see an old Sega IP get some new love.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 pm

If Yuzo isn't doing the music then it's just not Streets of rage.
If he isn't then why not go the extra mile and license some authentic Detroit House/Techno?
marurun

by marurun Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:43 pm

LizardCube is doing animation and art, but some studio called Guard Crush seems to be doing the programming and game design. I think the music in the trailer seems more like a generic belt scroller, I think the art looks great. I do hope they got more on board with the original's style for music as development rolls on.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:50 pm

While Streets of Fury looks pretty terrible, apparently the fighting engine beneath it all is solid. That makes Lizardcube a great choice as a partner.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm super excited! I think the art looks pretty great; the Streets of Rage games are top-tier beat-em-ups. Me and a friend spent TONS to time with the first game; I have no idea how many times we beat it, but it was a lot.

I really hope they get Yuzo Koshiro to do the music.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Nemoide wrote: the Streets of Rage games are top-tier beat-em-ups..

They were.

I hate to be 'that guy' and be all negative, because I hope the game is good, however!

This has nothing to do with SOR 1 -3, not the same team, not the same company. A company has paid for the rights (which Sega love allowing, just look at all the 'mini' consoles they have allowed in the past) to use the SOR name and characters. It might be the greatest game in the world, but in terms of it being a SOR game, it is pretty much an official fan-game.

Think of the Neo Geo Gold, a company paid SNK to use the likeness and games from their backlog. It has nothing to do with SNK, who only had made quality hardware and it was total shit.

They know the name is bankable, hence why they paid to use it. While it might be a good game, it will always be separate from the trilogy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:48 pm

I don't think I'd want to be that negative about it, though; look at what Sega did when they turned a fan loose on Sonic.

I mean, maybe it will suck, but I'm more than willing to let it stand as part of the series if it doesn't.

And I would absolutely argue that Streets of Rage 1/2 and Bare Knuckle 3 are still excellent beat-'em-ups.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:56 pm

emwearz wrote:
Nemoide wrote: the Streets of Rage games are top-tier beat-em-ups..

They were.

I hate to be 'that guy' and be all negative, because I hope the game is good, however!

This has nothing to do with SOR 1 -3, not the same team, not the same company. A company has paid for the rights (which Sega love allowing, just look at all the 'mini' consoles they have allowed in the past) to use the SOR name and characters. It might be the greatest game in the world, but in terms of it being a SOR game, it is pretty much an official fan-game.

Think of the Neo Geo Gold, a company paid SNK to use the likeness and games from their backlog. It has nothing to do with SNK, who only had made quality hardware and it was total shit.

They know the name is bankable, hence why they paid to use it. While it might be a good game, it will always be separate from the trilogy.

This is all very very silly. Companies license out game franchises all the time. At no point is a game in our favorite series comprised entirely of the same people. Different artists and programmers make up the team so the mechanics will always feel a little different. You can look at games like DMC, Sonic Mania, Wario Land Shake it, Luigis Mansion Dark Moon, Samba De Amiigo for Wii and on and on. All different development teams working on a franchise, making something new and interesting.

All that matters is that the game is fun in the end. This idea that it can't be a true game in the series based on who is involved is nonsense since the vast majority of games in a series feature different directors and development teams.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 am

Very silly. What I read seems to show that the teams involved have a good reputation. The art people did Wonderboy remake on Switch etc. The publisher dotemu has done solid work in more recent years but still were steady even if it was poorer ports and turds earlier in their days. And then the core team making the game did an homage title on Steam called Street of Fury EX which has some comedically rotten looking photorealistic looking (like MK era stuff) fighters I guess which may be the team but the actual game play is solid streets of rage type goodness with a rating by consumers liking it because of that. You can see the steam thing here, it's 1/2 off at the moment too - https://store.steampowered.com/app/3509 ... f_Fury_EX/

Given you have proven teams on this, and Sega is in the toilet and not what they were in the 80s and 90s. I tend to believe this game should follow a similar course as Sonic Mania and Wonderboy to NOT suck unless. People were pretty hellishly defensive about Sonic and Wonderboy and both of them turned a lot of people around who usually for reasons to bitch about stuff. Until I see a track record of honest good reasons to call it bad and not just fanboy rage and denial I'm not going to gang up on it.
Return to Sega