Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mrkoelie

Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

Post by mrkoelie »

Sup?
The barcode on the underside of my dreamcast starts with "DR". Here is a screenshot:

Afaik it always starts with "DE" or "DU". Can someone tell me what the "DR" stands for? Thx :)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

That's a Dreamcast that was sold in Rwanda. DE is "Dreamcast-Europe" while DU is "Dreamcast-United States." DR is rare for "Dreamcast-Rwanda." Rwanda has a little known but very active Sega fanbase.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

mrkoelie

Post by mrkoelie »

Whut :lol:

Shipped from Japan. I've never heard of Dreamcast-Rwanda...

ElkinFencer10 wrote:That's a Dreamcast that was sold in Rwanda. DE is "Dreamcast-Europe" while DU is "Dreamcast-United States." DR is rare for "Dreamcast-Rwanda." Rwanda has a little known but very active Sega fanbase.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Sorry, mrkoelie, Elkin was making a joke. We use blue text here to signify sarcastic comments. He was kidding and not being helpful.

As for the barcode, I have no idea. It may be a particular distributor or something like that.
mrkoelie

Post by mrkoelie »

LOL! Thanks Ack!

Hopefully somebody else knows what it is :)

Ack wrote:Sorry, mrkoelie, Elkin was making a joke. We use blue text here to signify sarcastic comments. He was kidding and not being helpful.

As for the barcode, I have no idea. It may be a particular distributor or something like that.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Did you buy it used? Could be a stock or inventory number.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mrkoelie

Post by mrkoelie »

Yeah, i've bought it used. But the product code (670-14248B) is also unknown.

More pics:

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

My guess would be one labeled for sale in Russia. Sega didn't officially offer it there, but apparently Sega of Europe sold their remaining stock to a third party who did (via Sega Retro). It's clearly an EU unit otherwise, so maybe that's why it has the different stickers?
mrkoelie

Post by mrkoelie »

isiolia wrote:My guess would be one labeled for sale in Russia. Sega didn't officially offer it there, but apparently Sega of Europe sold their remaining stock to a third party who did (via Sega Retro). It's clearly an EU unit otherwise, so maybe that's why it has the different stickers?

Thx a lot! I've also asked the same question on Reddit, and this is the answer i've received:

What has me stumped is that it's a model produced by ASAHI Electron and as far as I am aware they only ever produced NTSC variants for the Japan and American markets until June 2000. They briefly produced a small number for the South Korean region in 2000, though that would have been NTSC too. If it has heat pipes I am thinking it could be a demo/kiosk type revision...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:Sorry, mrkoelie, Elkin was making a joke. We use blue text here to signify sarcastic comments. He was kidding and not being helpful.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.