There are very few Dreamcast exclusives left...

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: There are very few Dreamcast exclusives left...

Post by Reprise »

Reseeded Hareline wrote:I actually finished it. I was dirt poor at the time and only had this and Test Drive: Le Mans to play. No cable. No internet. Nothing. Couldn't even sell it because it was worth less than the cost of a gumball. Just seeing the cover art plastered all over the thread makes me cough up blood.

Are you US based? PAL copies actually go for a decent price on Ebay now, as it's relatively rare here.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reseeded Hareline
8-bit

Post by Reseeded Hareline »

Yeah, US. Got rid of that junk long ago. I think I just gave it away or included it with some other stuff I got rid of.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Elemental Gimmick Gear and Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 are really the only two NA Dreamcast games I'm still trying to track down.

Sega Smash Pack? How odd. That disc is super common. I think it may have been a pack-in game with certain bundles.

The emulation is not very good I'm afraid. You're better off playing those Genesis games nearly any other way that doesn't involve at@games.

I had no idea the atgames history went further back than the cruddy clones. I need to look that company up. That many years of crap? Interesting.

In retrospect I phrased this ambiguously. I did not mean to imply that at@games made the Sega Smash Pack. A better way to phrase this would have been, "you're better off playing those Genesis games nearly any other way - except for an at@games clone."
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I collect compilations. :wink:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I collect compilations. :wink:

+1
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Fair enough.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Has anyone played Seventh Cross: Evolution? I can't figure out what type of game it is - though some label it an RPG - and reviews are mixed.

Bone, don't bother. It's not an RPG by any stretch of the imagination. Have you played Flow on the PS3 or PSN? It's like a horribly unpolished version of Flow, but the idea isn't really developed or implemented well. It's not worth it, if you're curious try and find an image before you drop the cash on it.

---

I will always keep my Dreamcast collection. The exclusives at the time, though they may have migrated to newer, more modern consoles, is irrelevant. Some of us truly enjoy the games on the original hardware. If I don't hear grinding gears and that fan blowing, and I'm not holding the controller in my hand, the experience isn't the same. I think the experience on the original hardware is most enjoyable, even if emulation and porting happened. The differences across platforms tend to be subjective and negligible, from an enjoyment perspective. So if I'm going to be an enthusiast for a console, but there's an improved version, I'd rather keep the version for the console I'm going to keep plugged in, etc. There's some convenience factor as well when you have some uniformity.

Emulation is a catch all and Exhuminator has great points, especially around form-factor and it's hard to argue against that.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Blu wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Has anyone played Seventh Cross: Evolution? I can't figure out what type of game it is - though some label it an RPG - and reviews are mixed.

Bone, don't bother. It's not an RPG by any stretch of the imagination. Have you played Flow on the PS3 or PSN? It's like a horribly unpolished version of Flow, but the idea isn't really developed or implemented well. It's not worth it, if you're curious try and find an image before you drop the cash on it.

Always liked RPGcritc's reviews:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060203195 ... signs.com/

I have yet to try the game myself; as an EVO fan, I'm scared of being disappointed.

So I gave up the thrill of hearing the "Dreamcast Grind", as you put it. My drive has been replaced with GDemu and I'm not looking back (although I can relate).
My Dreamcast is currently hooked up to a VGA/LCD monitor, which is kind of cool, even though some of my games (mostly a few fighters) don't work on it.

As for the original topic, I have thought this for years, that various ports and emulation options have reduced the unique-ness and value of the Dreamcast. But dang it if I don't have some very fond memories of it and it is one of the few systems that I bought brand spankin' new.
Also, it's just a better option for 4-player Power Stone than the PSP can offer (less load times and everyone on a bigger screen means a better group playing experience). My nephews had a ball with this when I brought it over (Power Stone 2 and Bomberman Online).
...just another lost soul...
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Speaking of Dreamcast, is Zombie Revenge any good? I only know about it because of the guy from it who's in Project X Zone (and trying out games those guys have been in hasn't led me wrong so far (Tales of Vesperia, Shining Force EXA)), but I've been meaning to give it a try. I noticed the resale store near the university has a copy atm. They have it for more or less retail (online) price though, so I haven't really wanted to jump on it without some expert consultation :wink:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:
Blu wrote:

Always liked RPGcritc's reviews:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060203195 ... signs.com/

I have yet to try the game myself; as an EVO fan, I'm scared of being disappointed.

So I gave up the thrill of hearing the "Dreamcast Grind", as you put it. My drive has been replaced with GDemu and I'm not looking back (although I can relate).
My Dreamcast is currently hooked up to a VGA/LCD monitor, which is kind of cool, even though some of my games (mostly a few fighters) don't work on it.

As for the original topic, I have thought this for years, that various ports and emulation options have reduced the unique-ness and value of the Dreamcast. But dang it if I don't have some very fond memories of it and it is one of the few systems that I bought brand spankin' new.
Also, it's just a better option for 4-player Power Stone than the PSP can offer (less load times and everyone on a bigger screen means a better group playing experience). My nephews had a ball with this when I brought it over (Power Stone 2 and Bomberman Online).

Is the GDemu easy to install? I was thinking these ODE would be a pain to get going, then saw a recent video of the DC USB GDROM.

Holy crap, remove the GD ROM Drive, plug the USB GD ROM into the same port, have correct file in root, done.

Really tempted to jump on the DC ODE bandwagon now...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5