How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
JungleHeart
8-bit

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by JungleHeart »

stickem wrote:Pretty cool looking rpg with a few more weeks to get in. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/se ... -adventure

Wow this looks awesome! Looks like it's still running. I'll wait for my budget to clear up and maybe put in a low tier support for it. Thanks for sharing this!

As for my Genesis gaming, I'd say it's doing well. I put it on every now and then. Last month, I got an 8bitdo M30 2.4ghz (the bluetooth version, which I also have, doesn't work even with the dongle, the 2.4ghz is a separate one made just for the Genesis or Analog Sg). Included in the pic is the very same Super Street Fighter II given to me as a gift when it first came out (from an uncle in West Virginia, I live in Manila).

"Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning."
—Suikoden I
--
Currently works as a freelance writer
https://blog.playerauctions.com
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Finally picked up this gem after wanting it for a number of years :D

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Awesome pick up!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Great find! Awesome to see the other Mega Drive games in the back there too.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Thanks guys. I played some of it the other day and it's a fantastic game. It feels great to finally play it on original hardware.

@Note Thanks. I have been picking up a few Japanese MD games over the last year. I am from the UK, so obviously PAL games have the whole 50hz and half-assed optimisation issue, but also as we know, a number of the Japanese equivalents are better than the Western versions. I quite enjoy Bare Knuckle 3 for example. I really appreciate the advancements they added to the gameplay following the second game, with the ability to roll and run etc. I have SoR3 too and the Japanese version is so much better.

I might post more of my Japanese games later.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Here's the rest of my Japanese games :D

Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Great collection, Reprise! Totally agree with you about the quality of some of the Japanese games. The JP version of SOR3 is so much better. We got ripped off with the difficulty spike and outfit color changes for the selectable characters.

Awesome to see Tant-R, Yuyu Hakusho, and Alien Soldier! Also it's cool to see Paprium in the mix there. I would like to pick up the version in the clamshell as well, but who knows if I'll ever find it. Lol. How do you like the game? Have read mixed things about it, so I'm just curious.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Note wrote:Awesome to see Tant-R, Yuyu Hakusho, and Alien Soldier!

<swoon>

Those games are hot!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Note wrote:Great collection, Reprise! Totally agree with you about the quality of some of the Japanese games. The JP version of SOR3 is so much better. We got ripped off with the difficulty spike and outfit color changes for the selectable characters.

Yeah, definitely. Quite a lot of games had differences between the regions. I only recently realised there are quite a lot of examples of that. Contra Hard Corps and SoR3/BK3 are the ones that are most widely known about, but I only recently found out there are games like Dynamite Headdy that were changed for the worse when brought to the West.

Note wrote:Awesome to see Tant-R, Yuyu Hakusho, and Alien Soldier! Also it's cool to see Paprium in the mix there. I would like to pick up the version in the clamshell as well, but who knows if I'll ever find it. Lol. How do you like the game? Have read mixed things about it, so I'm just curious.

Tant-R is so much fun. It's like Wario Ware before Wario Ware was a thing, isn't it? Yuyu Hakusho is one of my favourite fighters too. I am so glad I picked that one up. The fighting system is so accessible for anyone to play it and the 4 player battle royales are insane amounts of fun.

Paprium is a weird one. There was so much controversy and dodginess surrounding it's development and Watermelon. I am so grateful I even received my copy to be honest. Personally, I think it was worth the wait though, even if I haven't played it much since its release.

The game and its presentation is absolutely incredible. I have read complaints that it's style over substance and I do get that to a certain degree (it's easy to cheese your way through the game and enemy AI is basic at times), but I am not sure I agree. The story mode by itself is a huge step up from anything else from that era in terms of replay value and longevity. The fact you can choose your own routes, unlock more routes for Arcade mode, unlock loads of characters and the inclusion of the whole "throne" mechanic (where your character becomes a leader of an area who then issues missions) make it really interesting.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Streets of Rage 3 has Bare Knuckle 3 on the cart and will load that way if put in a JPN Mega Drive. There are several games like that which use region detection to determine which version to load.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.