SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
IrishNinja
64-bit

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by IrishNinja Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:04 pm

yeah, i try to make my peace with the SOTN port, but the most unforgivable thing is having to wait to load the pause menu, then again just to see the map. i get there's fewer buttons about, but not mapping the map to one of them really makes it cumbersome.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:14 pm

IrishNinja wrote:yeah, i try to make my peace with the SOTN port, but the most unforgivable thing is having to wait to load the pause menu, then again just to see the map. i get there's fewer buttons about, but not mapping the map to one of them really makes it cumbersome.

Take a look at the previous page, where Ziggy is trying out a hack that fixes that.

That said, why bother with a fix when a perfectly good PlayStation game is available?
marurun

by marurun Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Because the Saturn version has some added content and actually plays a tad better due to the Run relic and a more forgiving hit box on the dive kick.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:53 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
IrishNinja wrote:yeah, i try to make my peace with the SOTN port, but the most unforgivable thing is having to wait to load the pause menu, then again just to see the map. i get there's fewer buttons about, but not mapping the map to one of them really makes it cumbersome.

Take a look at the previous page, where Ziggy is trying out a hack that fixes that.

That said, why bother with a fix when a perfectly good PlayStation game is available?

shit yeah, nice! gonna hit that up now then. and like marurun said, it's mostly for the new content.

also, totally a game i play on CRT now, the extra loading for the XRGB (i think the menu is a different resolution) makes it even more unbearable
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:20 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I beat Shining the Holy Ark! Not that it's a big feat, it's just that it's been one of those games that I never finished but always wanted to. I first played this game 15-20 years ago, and it feels good to finally beat it.

edit: When you beat the game, after the credits, it gives you some play stats. It took my 35 hours and change to beat it, and I found 96% of the items. Also, I found all of the pixies in the game. I have to admit, there were a few that I never would have found if I didn't look it up, but I was able to find most of them on my own.

by the way - props for this! i didn't find nearly that many on my run a few years ago, haha. one of my favorite dungeon crawlers of all time though, think i'll give it another go & be more thorough one day
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Yeah, this game (without the patch) is basically unplayable using the Framemeister. It's annoying enough with the long pauses between the menu and map, but it's even worse with the Framemeister because the resolution changes with each transition. When you're in the game and press start to bring up the menu the resolution changes, then you press L to load the map and the resolution changes back, then you have to back out to the menu which causes the resolution to change again, then exit the menu back to the game and the resolution changes yet again. So in order to view the map, you have to re-sync 4 times and it takes forever!

I haven't played the 4MB RAM cart hacked version on the Framemeister, but it might be a little more tolerable since you have a button combo to go in and out of the map (no resolution change there, I think). You would still have to deal with the resolution change going in and out of the menu, but that is only half as bad as viewing the map.

If you're playing on a CRT then DEFINITELY check out this hack! It's worth it if only for the map button combo, but there's other great improvements. The menu loads faster, which is another huge plus since you tend to go in and out of it often. Another improvement is that there's basically no loading to go into a transporter room (but there's still a load if you use the transporter, of course). There's some other minor improvements, but these are the big three in my opinion.

IrishNinja wrote:by the way - props for this! i didn't find nearly that many on my run a few years ago, haha. one of my favorite dungeon crawlers of all time though, think i'll give it another go & be more thorough one day

Thanks! It's definitely one of my favorite games for the Saturn, and one of my favorite RPGs overall.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Return to Sega