SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Alucard

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by Alucard Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I still have my dreamcast plugged in lol. Just had a retro session with Guts rage :o
Still have to look for my old vmu’s though :?
My meager collection https://www.flickr.com/photos/152642275@N06 still updating
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:48 pm

I don't really know much about Berserk, but I thought Guts' Rage was a pretty fun game, aside from the massive sword swings getting caught on the environments a lot of times.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Finally got around to playing some Napple Tale and it made me tingly.
Alucard

by Alucard Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:32 pm

How is “Skies of Arcadia”? I never got around to breaking its outer packaging lol. I guess I was never into RPG (too long, not enough time). Thanks for your time.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Finally got around to playing some Napple Tale and it made me tingly.

Sweet! The Spring areas at the beginning of the game were probably my least favorite, actually. I really liked the Summer, and especially the Fall areas. You'll have to let me know if the end of the Fall levels grabs you at all. The conclusion of that area is one of my favorite moments in video games.

Were your daughters along for the ride?

Alucard wrote:How is “Skies of Arcadia”? I never got around to breaking its outer packaging lol. I guess I was never into RPG (too long, not enough time). Thanks for your time.

It's very good, but while I prefer the Dreamcast version, a lot of people prefer the Gamecube version for the reduced enemy encounter rate, and some extra content.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:30 am

Been playing NFL Blitz 2001. I'm great on offense but terrible at defense.

Played Blitz '99 at an arcade recently. Played best of 3 with a "Blitz master". Won one of those games and the other 2 were close.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Alucard

by Alucard Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 am

It's very good, but while I prefer the Dreamcast version, a lot of people prefer the Gamecube version for the reduced enemy encounter rate, and some extra content.

Thanks for the input; you seemed very knowledgeable. I’ve been playing Gunbird 2, and died a whole lot lol; could be at my age the response time isn’t what it used to be. But very fun game nonetheless that is until I used up all continues haha.

Keep on gaming :)
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 am

Its not your age, Gunbird 2 (and other shmups made by that company) tend to use really fast bullets that are hard to react to. You pretty much need to know whats coming to avoid the bigger spreads and insta-lazers.

Though a tip, when you are just getting pelted by normal enemies, those shots tend to be aimed at the player, so if you are just slowly tapping towards one side, those shots will generally miss you. Just take care to find room once you reach an edge to switch which side you are tapping towards. This works for some of the spread shots too, as they often center their aim at you, and just have outer bullets to punish dodging too widely.

Its a tough game for sure though.
Alucard

by Alucard Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:07 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:Its not your age, Gunbird 2 (and other shmups made by that company) tend to use really fast bullets that are hard to react to. You pretty much need to know whats coming to avoid the bigger spreads and insta-lazers.

Though a tip, when you are just getting pelted by normal enemies, those shots tend to be aimed at the player, so if you are just slowly tapping towards one side, those shots will generally miss you. Just take care to find room once you reach an edge to switch which side you are tapping towards. This works for some of the spread shots too, as they often center their aim at you, and just have outer bullets to punish dodging too widely.

Its a tough game for sure though.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll try it out later When I get home from the office. Next up is an somewhat obscure game titled ‘Illbleed’ :D
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Alucard wrote:Next up is an somewhat obscure game titled ‘Illbleed’ :D

Illbleed is awesome! It takes a bit of time to get used to the way the game plays, but it's one of my favorite games on the Dreamcast (in a sea of favorite games for the console). I went through the second loop of the game for the final/'best' ending, too. There's a lot of noise online about rumored censorship in the US version for that ending. Most English sources seem to agree that it wasn't censored. I ended up buying the US version, but did find out later that the US version is absolutely censored. The Japanese version of the game has a more revealing "outfit" for the main character, during the end of the second loop. I'm not sure the censorship is really a bad thing, though, personally.

Anyway, Illbleed is a crazy game, true to the developer's namesake. I hope you enjoy it.
Return to Sega